!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish J94 - Quick and Easy Enhancement  (Read 2815 times)

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
Farish J94 - Quick and Easy Enhancement
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:46:30 PM »
A disappointing detail of the Farish J94 is its 'inverted Norman' cab rear windows. Eg

Here's a quick and easy mod to give more realistic 'portholes'.

Pop the roof off; file the cab rear flush; cut into the 'coal' down to bunker level with a razor saw. Superglue a rectangle of 10thou plastic card (or brass sheet) to the cab back and file to fit under the roof edge.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Superglue the roof on, and use your favourite filler on the gaps front and rear.

File the filler flush, then with a small rat-tail file, gradually open the window apertures, until they are almost 3mm circles - a suitable HSS drill bit held in the fingers finished the job.

Then on to the paintshop:

If you're careful, this could be achieved with only a localised touch up, perhaps camouflaged with some coal dust. Another variation would be to use cellophane sheet in place of plasticard, mask two 3mm circles (leather punch?), and you'd have glazed portholes.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:52:11 AM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline David Asquith

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
Re: Farish J94 - Quick and Easy Enhancement
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
Mike, 
 thanks for that as you say quick and easy improvement.  It looks much better than the original.  I'm waiting for the DJM version to come out but I must admit I did not know the Farish windows were 'So wrong'

Dave

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:05:18 AM »
What a wonderful post! I have three of those Poole saddle tanks, and I wouldn't have even known.

Your post is educational on two fronts - firstly by showing us how to do a simple improvement in a clear fashion, and secondly, because I didn't even think about the rear windows being wrong!!

Embarrassing for a NE lad!

Your post is the sort that makes this forum such a useful resource.

Wonderful, and thanks for the contribution!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beers:

George

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
Nice little conversion - the J94 had so many little detail differences that there's a wealth of opportunity for unique conversions and detailing of industrial locos as well as the LNER/BR ones.

Back in the day I did mine in BR style with high bunker - similar to you it was simply constructed from plasticard. I also gave it the separate handrails treatment.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
Back in the day I did mine in BR style with high bunker - similar to you it was simply constructed from plasticard. I also gave it the separate handrails treatment.
Cheers,
Alan

Thank you - I found your mods when checking that someone hadn't posted about J94 portholes before - a fantastic model indeed.

I should also mention that there are some inexpensive proprietary brass bits out there to detail J94's - see http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_009.htm

Mike
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:35:45 AM by maridunian »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
Those are excellent etches - I'd have used them if they'd been around when I did mine!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online maridunian

• Awards
Re: Farish J94 - Quick and Easy Enhancement (Cont'd)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 02:47:23 PM »
FYI I'm continuing the story of this model on this new thread.

Mike

Online maridunian

• Awards
Re: Farish J94 - Quick and Easy Enhancement [Take 2!]
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »
Last year I posted an article on improving a J94's rear portholes.

Well, having just completed that model, I obtained some of the RT J94 detailing etches for my next project:

There are replacement steps, cab rear panels for the basic and extended bunkers, front window surrounds and a reversing rod.

I've tackled the windows on a J94 I'm reliverying (and hoping to streamline the process this time.)

Because I wanted the central vent between the windows to be open, I cut down the central panel. However, the etched panel is paper-thin, so with hindsight, I'd recommend drilling the original back panel behind the new vent. File the faces smooth and attach with liquid superglue.

Whilst that panel is straightforward to fit , the front window frames are tiny and extremely delicate. They correct the front window profiles, and you'll need to fill the bottom corners of the original openings:

Once these are set fast, carefully fit the roof - this will probably need some minor adjustments under the front and rear edges. I secured mine with gel superglue front and rear, liquid along the side edges:

Fill any gap in the front and rear edge of the roof, and check that the gaps beneath the new front window frames are filled and smoothed:

All ready for priming! If you're careful these parts could be retrofitted to any model and the local paintwork touched in.

Mike

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »
May I ressurect this post?
Ive just bought 2 sets of the RT etches for a colleague and myself for his new layout. The Etchs dont come with any instructions. I will be building two J94's as LNER there being two which were converted to high bunker in 1947 still with LNER numbering (only these two!).
Can anyone recommend what to solder, what to superglue, what to epoxy for the high bunker and the steps? Ive tried soldering to Farish cast bodies without success, Dr Al says it cant be done also. I'm wondering if the new steps can be glued to filed off Farish step stubs, that leaves the centre steps without 'how to fix'.
I'm also assuming to paint stripper all before starting.
final note, I'm assuming I use the rear cab sheet with the horizontal wire grids, what is the other can sheet for? I also have this loco as 'Robert' and the LMR version, both pristine but does this extra cab sheet apply to either of both?
Comments and advice welcome.

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 08:54:25 AM »
Hi - soldering is a mystery to me so I'd advocate using Superglue to bond the brass items to the (roughened) bare-metal of the Farish model. Yes, glueing the brass steps to the filed-down Farish steps seems sound - the central ones can hang alone, or be reinforced by some of the etch "sprue".

The wire-grid back sheets are for the 'standard' bunker. The built up one uses the narrow window back sheet.

Good luck!

Mike
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:55:41 AM by maridunian »

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 09:08:40 AM »
Maridunian, ive just noticed your photo, is it J94's? purely for interest can you reply with this photo on the reply at bigger size? Ive been googling for J94 photos but not seen that one.
Soldering is something I'm working on, ive recent built an A8 from a brass etch so ive learnt using different soldering irons, different temperatures and different solders. Ive even had the disaster of melting a white metal kit steps component into a blob! I wish I had experience of low melt solder when I built my Beyer Garret to correct the surface air hole bubble porosity. Its worth going down the path of soldering.
Thanks for the note on rear cab sheets, I can now think of using the 'left overs' on my green 'Robert' and Longmoor examples.

I still hope somebody can add more notes.............

Kind regards

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »
Yes, they're a couple of my Farish J94s.

Here's the real 'Robert' in action,  from the 8D Association

Mike
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:56:54 PM by maridunian »

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 05:27:39 PM »
 :greatwork: I'd seen this detail kit a long while ago but never seen it applied to the loco.  :thankyousign:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »
Ive just finished my J94 with addition of RT extended bunker and N Brass handrails etc. With regards to the steps on the etch, i didnt use them, I belong to a club so I need any loco to withstand regular unboxing and reboxing and for that the etch steps are too fragile. I drilled and tapped the footplate and fitted 8BA brass studding to provide a robust mount to solder my new brass centre steps to. I followed the Farish step dimensions (inaccurate) so they all match.
In 1947 only two J94's were fitted with extended rear coal bunkers whilst retaining LNER title, (all others were retro fitted with high bunkers as BR), these being 8006 and 8012.
After model completion I found a photo of 8006 then realised it didnt have centre steps, ive yet to decide whether to cut them off.
Please can anybody help with a 1947 photo of 8012 as I want to know if it had centre steps as ive a second J94 under modification for a colleague so we end up with the pair

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
Can't help there - embarrassing for a bloke from the NE, but your modifications look great!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything