!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rowhouses (and other US buildings)  (Read 8196 times)

Offline 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
Re: Rowhouses (and other US buildings)
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
The pub is more or less finished now, so work has turned to the stone built house next door. In addition, I have found a suitable DPM building (purchased secondhand for 50p a few years back!) to make up the full street frontage...

Back of the pub looks like this....

I ended up using an embossed tile plastic sheet, painted black, for the roof material on the pub, as the shingles looked a bit of a headache to reproduce.

Now that this has proved that the "log" style construction of the ground floor can be reproduced reasonably well (albeit simplified), a couple of other prototypes of buildings lend themselves for use elsewhere on the layout.
The "Colonial Complex" in York, Pennsylvania, has a complete house in that style that sits immediately bebund the pub and the Gates house, so thats an obvious one to put in a similar position on my layout!

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »
Something resembling the Horatio Gates House has now been completed.......

I've simplified some of the details and shortened the brick annexe on the rear to fit the space available. Some of the stonework has been replaced with brick in the area of the annexe which isn't prototypical, but saved a couple of Ratio etched brass windowframes!
Can now get on with the pavements where this row sits, whilst thinking about what will fit the other remaining vacant spaces on the block.....

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2018, 08:15:20 AM »
Given the restricted space on the remaining area of this Downtown block, I've been having a search through my "holiday snaps" for some suitable subjects that aren't too large.
Looks like a short terrace of four homes along the lines of these elderly ones in Lancaster, PA, might fit the bill.....

The blue sign outside the front of the one with blue shutters appears to indicate it was built in 1750, though the others are more likely to be from the 1800's.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »
Great stuff!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »
Have not made a start on the extra buildings for the Town Centre block yet, but have now fixed the pub and the Gates house in position on the base...........

The pub has been renamed, as I couldn't find anything to hand that would be a decent image of a Plough.
However, on having a search through my box of transfers, I found a couple of suitably sized ones of a Red Bear, so that is what has ended up on the pub sign!
The transfer sheet in question must be a good 45 years old (never throw things like that away....) and no doubt someone clued up on such things will be able to tell me which Wehrmacht Panzer Division it relates to ! (I think they were from a Tamiya 1/35 scale tank model).

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »
In case anyone was wondering why this thread has all gone quiet, the N layout (and the OO one) have both reached the stage of Stunde Null over the past few months due to being occupied on other (domestic) matters.
With the death of my Father last week, it now means a house move will be in order (into his former residence) over the summer, so work on the layout(s) won't be restarting until later this year.
At least both layouts were designed to fit in a particular room there, which is why I was only able to complete about 60% of the baseboards for each one at my current location.
Bigger "fun" will be had with relocating the G scale garden line, though, when compared with the N & OO ones..............

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about your father, I know from recent experience how, amongst other things, complex and time consuming the admin can be, so take time for yourself in between times

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2019, 06:19:17 AM »
Not really on a "workbench", but to kick this thread back to life, two of the layout baseboards are now erected in their new home and are having some work done on them now that they are in their final resting place.
I've constructed a low-relief industrial building using leftover parts from a Heljan diesel workshop building, together with another building end from odd leftovers of plasticard.....

Now that the station platforms are in place, the 4 tracks through the station area should be joined up in the next week and I can then get on with scratchbulding the overhead wire gantries.

Baseboard #4 is now starting to take shape, so further progress will be possible once that is ready.
Biggest problem I've found is that, despite measuring eveything up beforehand and constructing my OO layout baseboards to fit their new home, I found that they are 2" too long, so will require shortening - not easy when they are fully complete with all their track/scenery/buildings.......
It would appear that they didn't construct the rooms in the new house "square" no more than in my current house (1930) which is 24 years older than the "new" one!
Luckilly I hadn't constructed the 2 N baseboards that would have been affected by the difference in length.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything