!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol HST 125 power car - More problems  (Read 10004 times)

Offline CliveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
Re: Dapol HST 125 power car - More problems
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
high current
would certainly stress a little inductor, which is wound with very fine wire.

very inexpensive and just a simple soldering job.

Correct. Prices vary considerable with the quantity. For small quantities the postage / shipping will probably cost more!

Cheers

Clive.

Offline grahame

• British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »
I'm thinking that someone could think their motor has finally died when it's just one of these inductors..has the same effect..motor appears dead. Worth checking everyone. :hmmm:

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »
... If you want lights you need to solder them back to the pcb board..

Apparently not..since I have soldered the motor wires to the copper contact strips on split chassis and the lights are still working..albeit backwards ....can anyone say why?

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
the lights are still working..albeit backwards ....can anyone say why?
Graham,

Think of it as the lights going the right way, but the motor is turning the wrong way! Swap the motor wires round, then it will run the same way as the lights.

Cheers

Clive

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
A bit noisy but considering everything that has happened to this one I'm not surprised..

https://youtu.be/x_yg98YoPFk

Will address the lights another time..getting the body back on was quite tricky due to additional wiring required to jump motor to the chassis.

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »
Done! Wires exchanged..lights now correct. :D

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »

I'd keep a close eye on this - it sounds very much like Dapol's intermittent motor surging syndrome which seems to occur on some models (I've only seen it on ones that were early users of the 'super creep' motor).

It happens intermittently enough that you can think you've cured it only for it to return on the next running session or a few running sessions down the line, so it could be still there and giving a false sense that it was the dummy car.

Did we decide what causes this? Is it also possibly a less than perfect commutator pickup..possibly with great contamination....

Offline ahodgett

• N Gauge Society Number: 16967
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »
Came across this thread by accident today. I too have an HST awaiting a motor. It got so hot it would stop and need to cool down. Even without bogies it would get hot, running light. Must get an ammeter in circuit good suggestion. In the end I dismantled the motor to find a comm like a screw thread. Keep looking at DCC supplies for spares but nothing of import there. No buying anymore if spares are going to be like hens teeth. [The current ones give a significant set of exploded parts list diagrams, but no part names, so looks hopeful.]
Anyone tried the Mashima 1015 in an HST, or anyone got exact dimensions of the Mashima please?
On other problems I polish the 4 pickups [Brasso on a cotton bud.] on the chassis and coat them with a thin smear of Daywat oil (from Farish and BR Lines many years ago.] I suck out the transit grease with first a solder sucker pump, then a hypodermic needle to get the little bits and the bogies go in a ultrasonic cleaner. I have attempted a list of spares based on the exploded diagrams if anyone would like a copy or can I upload it anywhere?   

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2018, 06:54:06 PM »
Came across this thread by accident today. I too have an HST awaiting a motor. It got so hot it would stop and need to cool down. Even without bogies it would get hot, running light. Must get an ammeter in circuit good suggestion. In the end I dismantled the motor to find a comm like a screw thread. Keep looking at DCC supplies for spares but nothing of import there. No buying anymore if spares are going to be like hens teeth. [The current ones give a significant set of exploded parts list diagrams, but no part names, so looks hopeful.]
Anyone tried the Mashima 1015 in an HST, or anyone got exact dimensions of the Mashima please?
On other problems I polish the 4 pickups [Brasso on a cotton bud.] on the chassis and coat them with a thin smear of Daywat oil (from Farish and BR Lines many years ago.] I suck out the transit grease with first a solder sucker pump, then a hypodermic needle to get the little bits and the bogies go in a ultrasonic cleaner. I have attempted a list of spares based on the exploded diagrams if anyone would like a copy or can I upload it anywhere?   

Drop me a private message
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:20:30 PM by Only Me »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £10.00
Below Goal: £90.00
Site Currency: GBP
 10%
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal