!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol HST 125 power car - More problems  (Read 10005 times)

Offline grahame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
Re: Dapol HST 125 power car - More problems
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
Some bad numbers I'm afraid
45% power, 6.45V, 270mA
55% power, 7.78V, 320mA

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
After carefully cleaning the bogies using the method above (taking wheels out and cleaning needle points etc.) I put it all back together, after adjusting the copper strips on the split chassis.
It ran two more circuits, stop and start before the motor totally failed. No life now at all. Will not even run when power applied to split chassis.
Considering how little run time this has had, it is VERY disappointing and I am sure that it is the, run slow and hot motor issue finally reaching
the inevitable conclusion. Total premature motor failure.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 05:50:27 PM »
I would think you have put the bigies back wrongly and jammed up th mechanism.  Suggest removing the bogies and then applying power to the chassis... If this works you may have either reassembled incorrectly or have a locked gear l.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 06:30:24 PM »
With those current figures the motor had serious problems before the final outcome - the 5 sets I have all run at around 120-150mA full speed, pulling a full HST rake.

I had the same on a blue HST which drew over 300mA, got very hot, ran super slow and was sent back for replacement as a result. Sounds very like the same symptoms as yours. The reason it's slowing down on track is that it was getting very hot and basically overheating.

Sounds like it's finally burnt out a coil or more on the last circuit.  :'( . DCC supplies for a new motor may be the only option. I suspect it's likely had a QC failed motor right from new given you've reported previous problems.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 06:40:27 PM »
Unfortunately hst motors are like rocking horse poop... Or they were when myself and Maurits finally managed to source one

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
I've heard that the double ended motors are thin on the ground - it's the same motor used on pretty much all Dapol's diesels, and is a double ended version of that used on their steam (of which spares are available).

If I were the OP I'd politely contact Dapol direct (their Facebook page seems where they are most responsive) and explain the situation - clearly this model was basically faulty from new, even if it's out of warranty now they would be right to at least send you the necessary spares. Worth a go!

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 09:16:36 PM »
If I were the OP I'd politely contact Dapol direct (their Facebook page seems where they are most responsive) and explain the situation - clearly this model was basically faulty from new, even if it's out of warranty now they would be right to at least send you the necessary spares. Worth a go!

Cheers,
Alan

Already done. I think its interesting that they do not have a replacement motor on the spares page: only the whole motorised chassis

http://www.dccsupplies.com/cat-751/class-43-hst.htm

I have asked DCC to quote cost of replacing motor (which i do think Dapol should pay for but likely will not). From what I can see it will require some unsoldering and resoldering.

I have yet to hear anything from Dapol on this latest reported issue.

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 09:26:16 PM »
I would think you have put the bigies back wrongly and jammed up th mechanism.  Suggest removing the bogies and then applying power to the chassis... If this works you may have either reassembled incorrectly or have a locked gear l.

Definitely did not put them back wrongly. When i say it does not move, I mean with the bogies out and just jumping the split chassis on to track. Before this worked just fine.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »
I have to ask the other side of the coin here, youve had it 3-4 years? You have also taken it apart yourself ? - IMO you should have returned it straight away on issues..

See below... Great news!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:33:03 PM by Only Me »

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »
Peco certainly seem willing to do so - trot on over to their 2251 thread and read of many happy customers who've had things repaired or upgraded long out of warranty, or clearly out of Peco's responsibility..

So not unprecidented by that example (and I'm sure I've read of Dapol sending out bits to folks too) - so definitely worth asking I'd have thought..... you don't ask, you don't get....  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Alan

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 01:05:52 AM »
I have to ask the other side of the coin here, youve had it 3-4 years and expect a warranty repair?
Nowhere near 3-4 years! It has progressively got worse.
The question is "was it defective from new"? Given what it's doing
now I say yes. Is this thing only intended to last 2 years?
No wonder we love Minitrix!

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »
One thing it's worth doing if you can is wiring the ammeter into your control circuit permanently - it can be really beneficial for catching faults early with a high, or rising current draw. It might not stop a failure, but at least you'll catch it as soon as you can and can then take action. Over time you start to see what's normal for a given loco, so if it starts misbehaving it jumps out immediately!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 11:31:15 AM »

Cheers,
Alan

Good man!!!! Great suggestion Dr. Al.....just got this first thing (in Houston any way) via Facebook...

"Hi Grahame, the first I saw of your problem was yesterday at 4 ish when I was copied on an email exchange. I suggested we take a look at your HST and see if we can fix the problem. With regard to the issues on line, I am afraid you generally only hear of problems on line and when you consider we have sold many thousands of HST sets, it is inevitable we will have a small number of problems. Dapol will never walk away from these and will fix these problems when possible. I am sure Kevin Grindley will be in touch today to give you our Freepost address for the HST return. I hope this answers your question and please accept my apology for this communication breakdown."

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »
 :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Good stuff there from Dapol. And I'd agree with their comment about it being in the minority - I've had one dodgey set, but 6 others that were all good.

Great smart bit of customer service there - I'm sure they'll just swap either the motor or the chassis for you and get you back in business.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline grahame

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 05:11:14 PM »
OK after a bit more "work and coaxing" the motor is running again..but still very hot and very erratic. Just as it was a few days back, despite very thorough cleaning of bogies.
I will post photos of the bogies apart in case others wish to see, like I did before I took them apart. It's all back together and assembled correctly (just in case any one was wondering).
Its behaving exactly as it was when I started this recent investigation, and posting the same horrible current draw....but this power car is going back to Dapol! I am sure the motor is in its death throws!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:23:02 PM by grahame »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £10.00
Below Goal: £90.00
Site Currency: GBP
 10%
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal