!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Royal Train - Current Rake  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
Royal Train - Current Rake
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:20:17 PM »
After much deliberation and sleepless nights, I've decided I'm going to try and build the 9 coach Royal Train.

I have all the Electra overlays and donor coaches. I've scoured this site and others, the WWW and some other books for reference material. I am indebted to one friend from this forum for sharing some reference material too.

I have started by dismantling the coaches and have started the tedious job of cleaning the coach sides with an acetone based nail polish remover.

Look out for up dates. if you have any pics that can help, please let me know. What I would really like to see is the underframes of the two MK2 coaches and custom battery boxes/etc and roof detailing on all the coaches as the Mk 111 coaches have additional vents.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Please come back and look at updates.

not too soon though as it will take a while to scrub 9 coaches!!!

Shaun

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
Re: Royal Train - Current Rake
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »
I did a set quite a while back now, and found the brass/silver cleaning wadding type cleaner very effective at removing the paint, leaving the shell lovely and smooth. :)

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »
I find that leaving the coaches in nail polish removal or alcohol overnight before going at them with a toothbrush works very well! Shall be watching with interest!

Offline Tony G

• N Gauge Society Number: 17762
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
Hi Shaun

I am watching this post with interest as I would also like to do the royal train. I would love to do the train using the Hurst overlays, I have a few etches including the decals and have already got the paint from cjm of all places. But a couple of etches keep eluding me. one of the generator coaches (not sure which one and also the Queens and dukes saloon coaches. There may be some information in the instructions of the other etches for extra details required, I'll have a look tonight.

Regards

Tony G

Offline Tony G

• N Gauge Society Number: 17762
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »
Well I had a look at the Hurst instructions but unfortunately no additional details, only the books that have previously been mentioned, I did find a few pics of all the coaches on flickr  by searching royal 2920, royal 2921 etc. those maybe of some help.

Regards

Tony G

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »

I have started by dismantling the coaches and have started the tedious job of cleaning the coach sides with an acetone based nail polish remover.

Shaun,

I use either Brasso or T-Cut (not a coloured one though) and it takes me about 20 mins per coach, don't forget to scrub it clean afterwards to get rid of the residue. The only issue I had was getting rid of the blob of paint that Farish use on the MK2's to denote the toilet window.

Look out for up dates. if you have any pics that can help, please let me know. What I would really like to see is the underframes of the two MK2 coaches and custom battery boxes/etc and roof detailing on all the coaches as the Mk 111 coaches have additional vents.

In the photo's I sent you are some decent shots of the MK2 Underframes, they're the ones I used to scratchbuild cobble together mine, with a couple of bits from Alan at Etched Pixels, mainly Battery boxes and Compressors. As I told you at TINGS, the exhausts on the Generator MK2 was scratchbuilt as well, but there is one picture of it in the pile I sent over. Oh and don't forget the MK2's in the Royal Train are actually MK2b's so you will need to carefully file off the Water Tank if you're using Farish MK2d's, without removing the rib lines..

Here's the photo I used for the Exhaust:

If I can help, just ping me an email and I'll see what I can do for you.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:48:15 PM »
All the coaches are now dismantled and I've started looking at colours for the under frames. I might just stick to Primer Gray with the smallest amount of weathering possible. I have started to take wheels out of bogies, rooms and underframes are off. I'm enjoying this,but I haven't had to worry about applying decals yet so that's maybe why!

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
Does anybody know a good colour match of car body spray that matches the Electra vinyls . I don't need to spray much - just the brake coach ends.

Thanks

S

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 09:28:32 PM »

I've now painted all the bogie springs and have been workin on coach 2921 which has a flush end. I've added a little detail using evergreen bits and some lights will eventually be picked out in red. Now waiting for Roof vents and battery boxes to arrive.

What have I started!

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:13 PM »
Well I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of overlays but having said I would give this a go and paid out so I need to keep going. Tonight I realised my idea of replacing glazing strips for fresh clear plastic to save cleaning time may not work. I'm not overjoyed with this first attempt even though I am pleased with most of it. It really was going well till I added the overlay. I'm really very happy with the rest of it. So here's a pic of the end and both sides....from a distance. I'm really proud of the end handrails made from small staples!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:58:20 PM by Shaun Harvey »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »
It really was going well till I added the overlay.

Why? It looks a pretty darn good model to me....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Calnefoxile

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 02:34:59 PM »

Shaun

:claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

Looks pretty darn good to me buddy, and you did the extra detailing on the roof as well.

I also see you added the end detail on the MK2's as well, going further than I did.

Cheers

Neal.

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »
Looks fantastic! If you are really that unhappy with it I'll glaldy take it off your hands :laugh3: Really good detailing of the end and roof :thumbsup:

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 11:22:21 PM »
Thanks folks for your positive comments. I've had a moment of inspiration which have transformed the look of the latest two coaches and I'm delighted with the way they've turned out. I think a bit of autism makes me over critical of my self and obsessive! So I realised during the day I couldn't get the overlay smooth as it showed up the flaws on the body. I thought if I could stick the overlay onto ohp acetate then stick this to the coach body I would loose the flaws in the coach. Well I am truly delighted with the two bodies done tonight..so much so I'll show you a close up. I've shown you one of the brake coaches which still needs a new coach underframe detail and roof detail.-hurry up EtchedPixel!

Offline Calnefoxile

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »

Shaun,

2920 looks good mate, but whilst you wait for Alan to send you battery boxes etc. How about sorting out the exhausts on the roof  ;)  ;)

Cheers

Neal.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything