!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 21 & 29 proposed by Revolution Trains  (Read 21333 times)

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Class 21 & 29 proposed by Revolution Trains
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:41:22 PM »
Hello all,

We are proposing the Class 21 and 29 locomotives in N.

These models would be manufactured by Dapol, and after negotiations we feel we have got a good deal for anyone who backs this model.

The price will be 110 for the standard DCC ready model, and 205 for DCC sound fitted.  Because none of these locos exist anymore, the sound will be produced for us by Legomanbiffo using sounds from a genuine MAN engine (for the 21) and electrical equipment that was common to other locomotives that are still in existence.

From 1958-1960 North British in Glasgow built 58 type 2 locomotives, later given the TOPS code Class 21. The first 38 were deployed to the Eastern Region, the remainder to Scotland, though within months all
were sent north of the border.

D6103 at Cambridge in 1960.

When introduced all were in plain green, with disc indicators and nose connector doors, though later yellow warning panels were applied.

Poor reliability led to a limited scheme to re-engine some members of the class, designated Class 29.

D6123 was the first to receive the new Paxman engine, but the front end was not modified and it retained its disc headcode indicators.

The other 19 converted locomotives received headcode boxes and some also were repainted into BR Blue livery.  There is some variations, with old or new style numbers and differing positions of the BR totem.

(Thanks to Graham Wareham for the above two photos)

The re-engined locomotives were far more reliable and worked fairly successfully from Glasgow to Fort William and Oban, and across central Scotland via Perth and Aberdeen to Inverness.

However, in the early 1970s they were declared non-standard and all were withdrawn by the end of 1971.  None are preserved.

To reach the production threshold we need to get to 1200 orders for model 1, then a further 900 for model 2 - obviously whether the 21 or 29 comes first depends on which gets the most interest!

At the moment, as ever, we require no money just a serious expression of interest; we are hoping to have reached at least 1200 orders by Xmas so that work can begin in the New Year.

Since all the tooling will be paid for and funding is guaranteed, we are assured that our models would progress rapidly through the production cycle.

This model has been selected because we know Dapol can tool the characteristic face very well (it's the same, virtually, as their excellent Class 22) and they are producing this model in OO anyway.  If this drive is successful we are hoping the N gauge model for our supporters would come out at about the same time as the OO model. 

If it is produced, the model would be available in the standard Dapol range eventually but not for at least two years.

We also feel this model will go very well with the existing Farish Classes 24 and 25, and upcoming DJM Class 17; making small Scottish layouts very achievable.

cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:30:42 PM by Ben A »

Offline Richard G Dallimore

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Class 21 & 29 proposed by Revolution Trains
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:46:18 PM »
Good luck
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

ScottyStitch

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »
Outstanding!

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »

Hello all,

I would also like to add that this model is being offered as a direct result of the persuasive and well argued discussion on this forum.  It seemed quite clear to me that there was a compelling case for the model in terms of filling a gap, and with Dapol committed to the OO model, and having done much of the research, it seemed an ideal opportunity for Revolution Trains.

I have also, as with the TEA, prepared a map showing where these locomotives operated.  However, I do not claim it to be exhaustive and I would be happy to amend it if necessary:

We will be updating our website very shortly to add these models.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »
We'll need a couple of these for Crowland Green!

Offline Woodenhead

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 11:26:54 PM »
Interesting that the 320 thread has seem kingly got more interest despite AC electrics not being popular.

A pity I don't do green diesels in Scotland though I was tempted to play with time on a blue 17 so perhaps I should consider a 29.

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:11:31 AM »
There will certainly be an order from me .  If there were only 1, I would really prefer the 21, but would likely have one of each of 21 and 29.  Both will have to be in green.

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 12:18:28 AM »
I'd be up for green ones too. Again preferably a 21.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 12:21:43 AM »
Now that the news is out in the open I will get the expressions of interest page up before TINGS.

Please come and talk to Ben and me on Stand 1 if you come along to TINGS!  We would love to hear your ideas and thoughts on our proposed projects (and potential future projects!).

Cheers, Mike

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 01:20:23 AM »
Hi Gang,

This will undoubtedly fill a niche market gap...and is an inspired choice given what is available and what is promised from other vendors. I sincerely hope that this prospers as Revolution's other announcements have done.

I do, however, approach this announcement a little more cautiously, as this would be a rule 1 purchase for me ( along with Claytons) and I have yet to be convinced of the longevity of Dapol offerings. That is not to say that I don't have a substantial amount of Dapol locos (because I do).

As this announcement has been made simultaneously with the 320/321 launch, I am more inclined to support the latter as that is definitely in my era radar...and I can justify that a lot more easily.....especially as my credit card has just taken a hit for TEAs and there is still a balance to pay for some Pendolinos.

Some of the above may sound negative...it is not meant to...and I wish Ben and Mike every success with reaching their target for this one!!

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 01:37:32 AM »
Interesting that the 320 thread has seem kingly got more interest despite AC electrics not being popular.

Early days, small sample size?

Tragically neither fit into my preferred period (late BR blue/early sectorization) but I'd be interested in the 21/29 as a Rule 1 (subsection "memorial to long-forgotten locomotive classes") purchase, and also to support the project in general.

What liveries are planned? I'd prefer blue, could live with green. Not interested in DCC.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 07:00:40 AM »
D6122 survived at Barry until it was scrapped, with D601, in 1980. D600 was scrapped there about 1970. Had they survived a few years longer, they would have been preserved.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d6122+barry&sa=N&biw=1093&bih=514&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0CDIQsARqFQoTCJvh3Ivk68cCFcJp2wod_Z4BfQ
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
Look good as well, For me 6123 in two tone green as refurb and a blue one - you wil need to do a dummy 21 for towing the failed thing!

I can see some fun with West Highland lines...

Robert

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
Best of luck of course with this one, however I can't help thinking that Dapol would have done it anyway (eventually) so rather than bring to market something that would not otherwise be produced, this is merely accelerating production...

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just that it may not seem quite so "revolutionary" as the pendolino is...

ScottyStitch

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »
Look good as well, For me 6123 in two tone green as refurb and a blue one - you wil need to do a dummy 21 for towing the failed thing!

I can see some fun with West Highland lines...

Robert

And when they both go on fire?  :D

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything