!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Askham Battersby MKII - NE / Midland Modular Layout  (Read 11619 times)

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Awards
Re: Askham Battersby MKII - NE / Midland Modular Layout
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2018, 09:15:04 AM »
I had a loco buying ban at Warley but did end up with some kits and a rolling road which should make running in etc. a little easier.

Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline RichardBattersby

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2018, 09:17:46 PM »
One of the kits I got from Warley was this stair case for the coal drops. It was a little fiddly to construct but comes with a jig to make life a little easier. Unfortunately there was a bit of an error with the kit but it went together OK.

The kit actually makes two stair cases. It'll need dirtying up a bit when I get a chance.
Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Richard. These will be very impressive staircases when finished. Very fiddly work though.

Offline RichardBattersby

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2018, 09:00:28 AM »
Thanks for the updates, Richard. These will be very impressive staircases when finished. Very fiddly work though.

Thanks very much Chris! I've managed to colour it a bit so it's ready to go on the layout but I just can't do it! What if I then swash it?!  :'(
Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2018, 09:21:44 AM »
The stairs are very delicate so I would not fix them into place until you've completed the whole area around them, Richard.

I'd spraypaint them then weather them, very carefully, and slowly.

I'm sure you'll do a superb job. Looking forward to the updates.

Offline RichardBattersby

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:41 AM »
An unfortunate house move is pending this summer and I'd appreciate some thoughts and advice. We were hoping to stay here for longer but with high rent meaning little ability to save and a strong eagerness to buy, we'll be looking for something small and cheap for the foreseeable future with the view to save and buy in the next couple of years. Why am I telling you this? Well, as you've probably guessed, I'm questioning the future of my much-loved layout.

Obviously, I can put it in storage until the time is right but the neither the next rental house nor the house we hope to eventually buy will likely accommodate it. So, I'm considering selling it. I've invested so very much time and effort and money into this layout it would be difficult to let it go. I like to think I've tried to work to a high standard and I'd be devastated if it came out of storage damaged and needing repair, though I'm sure it would be fine. What I really don't want to compromise on is the ability to model and play trains. Granted, I can build kits and stock but to what end? I don't want to build stuff to then put it in a cupboard. With regards to playing, I could build a micro-layout or similar in the meantime and then sell that when we buy?

If I did sell, how is easy that? Am I likely to get much for it? Is there much of a market for part-built layouts? Has anyone gone through this process?

I guess that at the moment I'm leaning to sell. I don't really want to have something waiting for me for 2-3 years for it not to work out in the end. I'm worried it'll stop me from modelling, I'll lose interest and leave the hobby. Equally, if and when we are able to buy something, it would be great to make something 'just right' for the house. It would be gruelling if I kept the layout in storage for years then it be too big for the house and so I'd have to sell it anyway.

I know you could easily argue one way or the other and it has to be my decision but I respect the opinions of you learned people so it would be great to hear your thoughts.
 :thankyousign:
Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »
Probably not what you want to hear, Richard, but regretfully I'd advise selling your magnus opus even though you and I know you'll never get a price reflecting all the work that has gone into it :(
Maybe a small modular layout could be made while all the property stuff is going on, with modules small enough to be stacked somewhere or hidden under a bed, and this could come out to play as and when the opportunity arises. Practice different techniques on each module and maybe use one as a diorama where you can photograph any kits you make.
It's all very sad.

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
Having just reread your first posts I think I would put on hold the idea of selling it. As it's a modular construction it could be broken down to module size and stored "in house" and the modules worked on individually. Failing that dismantle the scenery and use the baseboards as individual layouts. Selling it will give you little return on your financial and personal investment and I think liong term you'll regret it.
It's not a descision I'd like to make and I don't envy you having to make it.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
Oh....thatís a tough decision.
I agree with NN though youíll never recoup the true cost and itíll be hard parting with something youíve worked so hard to develop.
Another possible option?
Is there a local club who might be willing to take it on?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £325.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything