!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Brickhill  (Read 4171 times)

Offline 31374547

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Brickhill
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
Brickhill......an imaginary small station on the Settle - Carlisle line with passing loops and engineers sidings in the mid 1980s  BR Blue-Grey era. Plenty of modelling licence intended - with facing points used and colour light signals etc. The fiddle yard will be behind the scenery (hill).

Baseboard construction now completed - 10ft by 3ft using two boards (5ft by 3ft) connected with coach bolts. CLS timber used with 9mm Ply on top. Ikea trestles.

Code 55 track on 1/16th cork. Track laying next.

Basic track plan diagram below - but the signalling is still open to change etc at this stage.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:35:29 PM by 31374547 »

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Brickhill
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
Track laying next.
Humbly suggest photos next, or soon at least! Looks a great idea.

Getting the specific S&C feel is easier said than done. Any ideas in mind?

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Al.

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
Plenty of scope there, as you said. Brings back memories of chasing steam locos on that line.

Look forward to seeing photos.

https://www.facebook.com/BridgeAtRemagen

Booked exhibitions.

Scot Model Rail, Glasgow. 21st to 23rd Feb 2020.
N Gauge SE Show, Reigate. 4th Apr 2020.
Bristol Model Rail Exhibition, Thornbury. 1st to 3rd May 2020.
The International N Gauge Show, Lemington Spa. 14th - 15th Sept 2020.

[/b]

Offline 31374547

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:43:45 PM »

Getting the specific S&C feel is easier said than done. Any ideas in mind?

Cheers, NeMo

I decided to go for a 3ft depth specifically to enable the scenery to be the dominate feature - the railway fits into the landscape if you like. The full 3ft depth will be visible and will incline upwards to the rear. The fiddle yard will be behind the covered section of the hill at the rear. The near section will incline slightly upwards, creating a small cutting effect. Buildings etc will be sparse and the small station will feature just the basics as per a small SC station set-up. Lots of stone walling and perhaps some snow fences etc. The plan is to have the majority of traffic just passing through the scenic layout.

However, this is my first layout so who knows what it will turn out like. It could be a complete dogs dinner !

Any advice welcome.....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:08:49 PM by 31374547 »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »
Sounds very interesting. I love 'layouts in the landscape'. I look forward to seeing this develop.

Offline Bangor Lad

• N Gauge Society Number: 19972
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »
I really like the track plan. This sort of layout has always appealed to me. Plenty of movement on the mainlines plus plenty of activity in the lay byes plus the additional interest of the engineer's sidings.

Really looking forward to seeing your layout developing.

Cheers
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 09:54:29 PM »
The plan looks fine but I would ask that you don't run it parallel to the baseboard edge but either curve it or place it at a shallow angle to the edge.

Offline 31374547

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »
Hi all, a quick update on progress with Brickhill

All track laid and stage 1 electrical wiring completed (stage 2 will be to add polarity switching to the points) and functionality testing conducted. All working fine. Loco running in completed as well.

Before I proceed further, I would like to fully clean the track (and also the loco wheels) as they are somewhat dirty after being handled etc during track laying.

I would therefore be grateful for recommendations on track cleaning methods and also loco wheel cleaning. Track rubbers any good? Emery cloth type papers? Methylated spirits? I have no idea.

Any help or guidance appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »
Looks a bit like the layout at Blea Moor. You might want to have a ballast loading point on the furthest engineers siding so that you can have regular traffic emanating from the sidings (like Horton-in-Ribblesdale).

I look forward to seeing the photos.

As for track-cleaning people recommend IPA. I get confused by this, as I thought I was meant to go down the pub and drink the stuff! :beers: I think they mean the sort of fluid that used to be used to clean cassettes etc...

The old Peco track rubbers I think are still pretty good for track cleaning especially after painting and ballasting etc.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Northman

• N Gauge Society Number: 24954
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
I did a search on this forum (always informative) for track cleaning and bought a bottle of IPA via Ebay as a result -  strong stuff and I got an immediate headache trying to use it - disposed of it.

I have used Deluxe Track Magic this evening - bottle arrived today - works perfectly and all now running smoothly - which it was not doing despite energetic rubbing with a track rubber!  My fault for not covering track before spraying my grass and scrub scenery with hair lacquer (idiot) - the spray worked perfectly but sticky tracks do not :no:

Deluxe items are pricey but they do what they say they do and I would not use anything except Deluxe Roket glue for my card modelling.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:12:30 PM by Northman, Reason: addition »

Offline 31374547

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »
A couple of pics showing initial track lay.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »
Great to see the curvature of the tracks :thumbsup: ;)

I would therefore be grateful for recommendations on track cleaning methods and also loco wheel cleaning. Track rubbers any good? Emery cloth type papers? Methylated spirits? I have no idea.

If you can't afford the CMX or Tomix track cleaners, track rubbers are OK but leave a fine residue so I always rub the track down with IPA afterwards. I wouldn't advise anything too abrasive as it could create scratches that crud will gather in.
I bought the Woodland Scenics track cleaner set and some of their pads which attach to rolling stock axles but found their proprietary cleaner left a greasy film on the rails which caused wheel slip so, again, use their kit with IPA.
It's not just loco wheels you'll need to clean but also rolling stock wheels. This tutorial will help.....
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=913.0

Offline Bangor Lad

• N Gauge Society Number: 19972
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:54 PM »
Good progress and nicely laid trackwork!  :D
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 10:33:42 PM »
I have to agree it all looks very professional, and is already looking like it has a bit of S&C atmosphere. I can already imagine a 45 or 47 charging through on the Notts - Glasgow, overtaking a 31 on freight, whilst a 25 potters about with some ballast wagons in the yard.... surprised its really your first layout! Personally I would recommend going down the DCC road myself, it has many advantages.

You will need to think about disguising the curves at each end. Tunnels will be fine on the S&C - lots of them! You do need to think about the engineers yard end as the end of your sidings may be close to the tunnel portal here, and thought needs to be given to creating a natural look. It might be a good excuse for a ballast quarry in this location though...

Cheers,
Paul

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
I  find that one of these run with the pad dampened with track cleaning fluid can help a great deal

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=M15500&style=&strType=&Mcode=Minitrix+15500

Of course there are other suppliers just as good as the one I have shown and prices can vary
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:35:56 AM by jonclox »
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP