Are exhibitions making our hobby elitist

Started by Graham Walters, August 03, 2015, 08:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 05, 2015, 01:55:19 PM
Ah, but is the film on its first showing? I have seen both "Reach for the Sky" and "The Dambusters" in a cinema in the late 1960s, but both films were made in the early/mid 1950s so is the film on at the local 'fleapit' any real guide?
A very good point  ::)  I saw the original "The Lady Vanishes" (1938) at my local only a couple of years ago  (just to bring in a train-related film !)  :P

fatso

I do like the word prototypically funny we all use 12volts or my case 16volts dcc so there's is a modellers licence then.mike
Always looking on the bright side of life

fatso

Ok lets open up playing field how many  exhibition's  are more geared up for finescale or em than family show.mike
Always looking on the bright side of life

mr bachmann

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 05, 2015, 02:21:50 PM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 05, 2015, 01:55:19 PM
Ah, but is the film on its first showing? I have seen both "Reach for the Sky" and "The Dambusters" in a cinema in the late 1960s, but both films were made in the early/mid 1950s so is the film on at the local 'fleapit' any real guide?
A very good point  ::)  I saw the original "The Lady Vanishes" (1938) at my local only a couple of years ago  (just to bring in a train-related film !)  :P

Along with '' The smallest show on earth'' (train related  :D ) , I had the pleasure of screening the above film's at our local 'Flick's ' , in the late 50's on Supa Mk 1's , then passing on to become chief projectionist in the 1960's often wondered why BTH after these superb machines turned out failures like the class 15's .

as for the exhibitions lets see some bigger layouts instead of a lot of dead enders with fiddle yard .

JasonBz

I don't really get this "small children only want to see Thomas etc zoom around" idea.
When I was small I wanted to see layouts that bore some resemblance to the real railway scene - after all I could zoom trains around my oval of track or that of my friends.
I wanted to be inspired to make things better and more realistic - that isn't "elitist" (whatever the term really means) its human nature to wish to improve.

Caz

:locked:

I think this proves that people have their own strong opinions on this subject and the discussion will just go round and round each trying to convince the other that they are right.

It has now run its course and will only degenerate is verbal abuse and as this IS the "friendly forum" we will all just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks all for your input.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP