!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Realtime Trains" and trains which don't appear  (Read 1336 times)

Offline GroupC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
"Realtime Trains" and trains which don't appear
« on: July 21, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
I look at Realtime Trains regularly for up-to-date train timings but regularly notice trains which are shown but never appear, such as

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P93212/2015/07/21/advanced

This appeared in today's timetable but didn't run. Timings for it aren't shown in bold (as with those which do appear) which I gather is an indication (but not a very good or timely one) that it won't run / didn't run, but I can't see any help as to whether this, and MANY other trains shown on the website in my experience, will run or not. Apart from looking at the website again and again and again all day to see if/when timings change to bold is there any way of finding out what is and isn't running?

Am I missing something obvious? Can anyone enlighten me on how to find those trains which actually do exist? Or filter out the phantom trains which might run but in the end don't? I've spent hours at places such as Doncaster and Barnetby in the past, having seen lots (and I do mean lots) of potential trains fail to appear.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Re: "Realtime Trains" and trains which don't appear
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
There are many more paths booked or reserved on the system than are ever used.  Some can be Q (as required) freight trains, others will only run sporadically or on a limited basis, other times will be reserved (but unused) paths.

You can normally tell from RTT whether something is running as you get reports back to the system of when something passed certain points, but it is far from 100% reliable.

Cheers, Mike

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:39:21 PM »
PS looking at the headcode details often gives you more of a clue - for example the train you linked to (5s20) is often used as a delivery train for a refurbished EMU going from Doncaster works back to Scotland so it will only run like a Q freight ie as required, but it might be pathed every week.

Cheers, Mike

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »
PS looking at the headcode details often gives you more of a clue - for example the train you linked to (5s20) is often used as a delivery train for a refurbished EMU going from Doncaster works back to Scotland so it will only run like a Q freight ie as required, but it might be pathed every week.

Cheers, Mike
Quite agree with you, but a trip might be scheduled and cancelled at the last minute if the EMU was not ready.

Dodger

Offline 5944

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9265
    • Twitter
    • My Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »
Another couple of things to look for are whether it says "Activated" (top right of page - the above link shows activated, but looks like it was cancelled). On the front page, if it says FRGT in the ID column, it hasn't be activated. If it shows a headcode (number-letter-number-number) or code (number-number-number-letter), then there's a good chance it will be running. But even then there's no guarantee it'll run!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything