New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A tale of Two Locomotives - Minitrix Warship Class 42 1st and 2nd Generation  (Read 1297 times)

Offline grahame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
I purchased a rather well used but serviceable 1st gen version (BR blue) a while back and after repairing the drive training (coupling had worked loose) it has run pretty nicely.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25026.msg267496#msg267496

I just acquired my 2nd generation version, this time the dark green Intrepid model. The easiest way to tell the versions apart is to look at the under body line. The 1st gen has a very easily spotted gap below the side cab window, this is because the buffer beam is attached to the bogie, not so with the 2nd gen version

Both of them run pretty nicely, I would say the 2nd gen wins out in my case by beong quieter and less raspy. Both of these cost me between 20 and 30 quid so I am pretty pleased. There seems to be a huge variaiton in what these go for on eBay. I think my 1st gen had a repaint, not brilliant but acceptable. Certainly worth getting one but beware, a lot of these have be repainted and so you should look at the photos really carefully.

https://youtu.be/CuClNb4x_ls

https://youtu.be/VJHOXdIsn8I

Of course in terms of realism the newer Graham Farish Class 42 wins hands down. I have a "Kelly"..just don't look at them both at the same time... :no:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:44:13 PM by grahame »

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Hello there.

Actually your Hermes is the Mark 2 version and Intrepid is the Mark 3 version.

The difference between the Mark 1 and Mark 2 is not much. The Mark 1 has a totally metal chassis and the mark 2 has a plastic insert in the base between the bogies.

Only Hermes in Blue was a Mark 2 (and then a Mark 3). All other early warships, be they in blue, maroon or green, were mark 1.

Their prices reflect rareity as well as being boxed in the right boxes! Hermes and Intrepid were some of the most common, hence your "luck" at getting them cheap!

HTH
Bob

Offline Pete @ EGLM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 7447
    • Awards
The Hermes has been renumbered to 832, which was named Onslaught.

Pete @ EGLM

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything