!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
28 (63.6%)
Good
13 (29.5%)
OK
2 (4.5%)
Poor
0 (0%)
Terrible
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 86  (Read 23414 times)

Offline Intercity

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 86
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2019, 04:12:57 PM »
I don’t want to upgrade, I just need replacements for my workbench residents. I know there are many 86s out there that are languishing as non-runners because of old PCBs failing and no replacement being available.

I saw the digest post about not doing a re-run, but rather doing them in pairs, either way those are also replacement parts that are needed (even if the arms are oddly long, still better than the Farish offering)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:16:57 PM by Intercity »
Support crowdfunding - it’s the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, let’s make it happen.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »
Ah, I see. Haven’t had one fail, didn’t realise it was particularly endemic.

Online Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2019, 04:18:48 PM »
Why? Not sure I’d see much point in upgrading, unless they’ve made space in the chassis for a speaker, and even then that would render the Next-18 PCB a bit of a pointless upgrade. I can’t see many people wanting to change PCBs just to improve lighting control.

Two out of my three existing class 86s failed because of faulty PCBs (and two HSTs and one class 26). In all cases they were replaced under warrantee but if the new one proves reliable then I'd be very tempted with an upgrade. More so if independent control over tail lights was possible.

There are still wires connecting the body to the chassis for the lighting.

Steven B.

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »

They’ve said on the Digest that they don’t intend to do a re-run of the pantographs as they weren’t popular, although if they did they’d do them in pairs rather than one BW and one SF.

I would imagine if the pantograph were a bit less over scale, then they would have proved a little more popular.

Later,
Stu in EGYP.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2019, 05:15:47 PM »
Why? Not sure I’d see much point in upgrading, unless they’ve made space in the chassis for a speaker, and even then that would render the Next-18 PCB a bit of a pointless upgrade. I can’t see many people wanting to change PCBs just to improve lighting control.

Two out of my three existing class 86s failed because of faulty PCBs (and two HSTs and one class 26). In all cases they were replaced under warrantee but if the new one proves reliable then I'd be very tempted with an upgrade. More so if independent control over tail lights was possible.

There are still wires connecting the body to the chassis for the lighting.

Steven B.
Hi I understand a next 18 rework has been done - independent control of lighting now available and instruction sheet modified to suit.
Robert 

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2019, 10:10:54 AM »
Waiting for the replacement PCBs to show up at DCC supplies, supposedly they are compatible with the first batch, I imagine they will be quite popular, hopefully they will do another run of pantographs too (we had a flipped one yesterday on the real thing, not fun)

The old pcb boards were the same as the class 67 pcb, I have replaced one of my 67 boards with a board out of an 86 .  Talking with Andy from DCC Supplies he stated that there was a small modification needed to fit the new 67 board in an old 67 chassis so I assume the same will apply to the 86's. The lights still connect to the pcb board by wires otherwise this would mean a complete redesign of the bodyshell where as altering the pcb board is quite straight forward.

Geoff

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
Just for my edification - do this new batch have the original metal sprung pans?

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
Just for my edification - do this new batch have the original metal sprung pans?

No, sadly - it looks like they have the vastly overscale plastic pantographs.

cheers
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2019, 04:15:14 PM »
As opposed to the woefully inaccurate metal ones, which are still vastly overscale!  :doh:

The Stone Faiveley isn't too bad, but the Brecknell-Willis one is far too long for some totally unknown reason, I'm sure it would have been as easy to get right, and it would have been a really good looking item then!

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »
Hi
Have to agree the plastic bubble packed things were a disappointment some scaling area at CAD stage not unlike a manor loco some time ago as well.       

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »
Thanks has anybody examined one in a shop?

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
As opposed to the woefully inaccurate metal ones, which are still vastly overscale!  :doh:

Nowhere near as bad. They are Sommerfeldt ones, that Farish also used, and are therefore over 25 years old in design. Sure, they are not faithful representations, but nothing like the Dapol efforts.

I've switched newer models to them, as the Dapol efforts are quite so poor.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2019, 04:31:09 PM »
Whilst I've done the opposite, and have shortened a few of the BWHS ones, as the Sommerfeldt ones really grate, they look nothing like a UK outline pantograph, IMO the Dapol offering is significantly better, if too long in the arm. I have some Tomix ones which are a better approximation that I've fitted to some of my 350s too.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2019, 04:34:31 PM »
The sommerfeldt pantographs did not look right. Are the tomix ones easy to fit?

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »
Yes, extremely. I'll try and take a photo tomorrow. The heads aren't quite right, they not 'looped', rather it's two parallel strips, but I wondered about fitting some of the etched heads Jon (PostModN66) has done, as they're very nice.

Edit: it's these I've got:

, they're still not quite right, the head needs offsetting more, but they're not bad. Until Revolution offer packs of theirs...!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:44:57 PM by njee20 »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal