!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 83983 times)

Gizzy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #1125 on: May 05, 2020, 09:35:32 PM »
Before Alleges EMUs, short sets, often with a Driving Trailer, were used on local services....

Allegra EMUs is a bit of a red herring - they are designed for many and varied purposes on the RhB - the full story  is very complex and too long to recount here and now.

Local services with short rakes of EW stock and driving trailers are very much alive (until the Capricorn EMUs come in this year...)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:25:45 PM by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1126 on: May 06, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »

Where did you get the Ds Van Gordon?

Shapeways

[/quote]

Thanks Gordon,

you have made an excellent job of making and painting the Ds van.

I thought it was a commercial product....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:56:46 PM by Gizzy »
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #1127 on: May 22, 2020, 12:51:47 PM »
Can I raise the thorny topic of MicroTrains couplers again?

Inspired by previous posts in this thread I bought some "001 02 051 (2004) body mount couplers" for my locos and some "001 30 013 (1129) T shank couplers with adaptors" for my coaches. (MicroTrains part numbers are confusing, with additional numbers in brackets that seem to be what everyone uses.)

I've successfully assembled a 2004 and installed it on my Ge 4/4-III without any major surgery. It sits a bit low, but pushing the trip pin further into the knuckle shank keeps it out of the way. However, I'm not sure what to do with the coaches. Here's a photo of one of the bogies from my GEX coaches.

As far as I can tell, to use the 1129 coupler I will need to remove the bogie's vertical shaft (that the original couplers fit over) and make an adaptor to retain the MicroTrains adaptor box, which is a lot narrower than the gap between the sides of the bogie's draft gear box (the other vertical bits).

Alternatively I could cut away the sides of the bogie and fit a 2004 coupler over the vertical shaft.

Either path is rather destructive so I'd like to get it right first time. Has anyone got any good photos (or even bad photos) of how they've done it?

PS I thought about using Z scale couplers, but I think they're too short to allow the coaches to go round 150 mm radius curves. I want to keep that tight curve capability.

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #1128 on: May 22, 2020, 04:41:09 PM »
Following up my own post...

I've been browsing the MicroTrains range and have taken a punt that "001 02 011 (1025)" might just fit. Its body has no sides, so might be narrow enough to go between the bogie draft gear box sides while the vertical pin goes through the coupler's central hole.

Another Yankee Dabbler order has been placed, with a few other couplers thrown in. You can't have too many parts to play with. This time it should be below the £15 customs threshold (unless the UK economy really tanks) so I might get it a bit quicker.  ;)

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #1129 on: Yesterday at 10:52:34 PM »

[/quote]

I read in this month's Continental Modeller, that AB-Modell make this van and the NEVA BDt Driving Trailer in 1:160 scale and 6.5 mm track gauge, but I would like to purchase both these vehicles in 1:150 scale, 9mm track gauge....
[/quote]

Here is my Driving Trailer built from a Shapeways 3D print. to 1/150 but running on 6.5mm track. Microtrains Z scale couplers, handcut flush glazing.

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #1130 on: Yesterday at 11:28:46 PM »
handcut flush glazing.

:laugh3:  CRAZY !!   :laugh3:  Wow, job very well done. I'm not a fan of shapeways but you turned it into a very nice model, B R A V O !  :thumbsup:

steve

Online Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1131 on: Today at 07:31:21 PM »

Here is my Driving Trailer built from a Shapeways 3D print. to 1/150 but running on 6.5mm track. Microtrains Z scale couplers, handcut flush glazing.

Oh wow, that's excellent!

Want one....
Gizzy

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #1132 on: Today at 07:53:49 PM »
Allegra EMUs is a bit of a red herring - they are designed for many and varied purposes on the RhB - the full story  is very complex and too long to recount here and now.

Why’s it a red herring? They are EMUs...? That they’re deployed on a variety of devices doesn’t change that.

That trailer looks superb Metroman, well done. How did you do the glazing?

Shame Shapeways is so expensive now, and the quality often a bit poor. I get better results out of my home printer!

Online Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1133 on: Today at 08:32:21 PM »

Why’s it a red herring? They are EMUs...? That they’re deployed on a variety of devices doesn’t change that.

I guess what Gordon refers to is that they are very powerful and used like a locomotive. They are much more powerful than a lightweight EMU, and almost as powerful as a Ge 4/4.

As well as hauling coaches, they can, and do haul freight....
Gizzy

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #1134 on: Today at 08:40:03 PM »
Yes, indeed, but they're still EMUs!  ???

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal