New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 45928 times)

Online daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #945 on: October 13, 2018, 11:48:30 PM »
I think, I'm not sure and I'm very open to correction on this but RhB red is RAL 4000. The red specified for Transport for London Buses is also RAL 4000.

It's a long time since I was in London but RAL 4000 looks right to me. It might just save a long journey!

HTH,

Mike Beard.

Some time back I researched the RhB red and came across a detail among the the RhB-info.ch webpages themselves, that the colour is NCS (1680-Y94R). The webpage addy I copied is no longer valid but I had copied the detail to a file:

RhB-rot für Streckenlokomotiven und Personenwagen:
Zwischen Ral 3001 und 3020
NCS 1680 Y 94 R

As far as my German goes, ‘zwischen’ would be ‘between’, so in this context I have always thought that it means it is not possible to totally define it in terms of a single RAL colour number, but as being a shade somewhere between two RAL colours.

Looking up this NCS ref online gives the correct red colour as far as I can tell,  as well as various webpages (mostly modellers discussing the very subject of what the colour actually is!) mentioning this being the RhB red.

From what I learnt there is no commercially available exact paint available, and it seems many use the closest they can of available paints, such as RAL 3002, Carmine Red.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:55:03 PM by daffy, Reason: Added detail »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #946 on: October 14, 2018, 12:48:11 AM »
I think, I'm not sure and I'm very open to correction on this but RhB red is RAL 4000. The red specified for Transport for London Buses is also RAL 4000.

It's a long time since I was in London but RAL 4000 looks right to me. It might just save a long journey!

HTH,

Mike Beard.

No, RhB red is not RAL 4000, RAL 4000 is a purple violet color. You meant RAL 3000 ? These are the colors I bought so far and out of the three red colors it is possible to mix the same red Kato is using. But red is only that exact red till the loco left the paint shop, sun and weather will change the "original" RhB red very quickly into one of 50 shades of red.

RhB red

RAL3000           Vallejo 70.947
RAL3002           Vallejo 70.908
RAL3020           Vallejo 70.909

Frame "gray"

RAL7015           Vallejo 70.868

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #947 on: October 14, 2018, 05:21:15 AM »
Hi Guys,

Yes, sorry. RAL 3000 is the correct starting point. That's the trouble when you work from memory, can be fatal.

I wish we could get a direct line into Kato as their "Frame Grey" looks incredibly dark compared with the pictures they publish.

Mike Beard.

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #948 on: October 14, 2018, 08:25:19 AM »
Don't use Micro Trains True scale couplers, unless you are running the trains on straight track, the slightest curve will derail them! I know, I tried them on a set of N scale brass California Zephyr coaches and they derailed when entering a curve. They don't have the swing that a 1015 has plus they are not compatible with any other knuckle coupler. The advantage of the Z coupler is if you ever buy any wagons from AB Modell then they fit the coupler pockets perfectly. You will find they are classed as the standard coupler for N RhB. I'm sticking with Z couplers as I prefer them. To me the 1015 look the same as using a Hornby tension lock coupler on a OO model, ugly and unsightly, but thats my personal opinion. I would be interested to see what a 1015 looks like on a Kato GE4/4 III. The 4/4 II, has less room and only just takes a Z coupler.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #949 on: October 14, 2018, 08:42:42 AM »
Don't use Micro Trains True scale couplers, unless you are running the trains on straight track, the slightest curve will derail them!

I painted, decaled and weathered a whole coal train for a customer. 36 FoxValley Trinity RD4 coal cars which come from China with the clone MTL 1015 coupler and the customer wanted them replaced with True Scale coupler. This train is running on his layout with hand laid track without any problems and yes, he has curves on his Tehachapi themed layout  ;)

steve   

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #950 on: October 22, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
Difficult to know where to place this but the current, November 2018, issue of Continental Modeller has a review of some A-B Modell wagons. All went well until I got to the pricing part where, for me, it all fell apart. Up to about €300 per wagon. Interestingly the Italian company Piarta ( ? ) also gets a review and their flats are on MDS-Modells bogies.

Having read this I realise it's no help at all except to direct you to Continental Modeller. HoHum.

Mike Beard.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #951 on: October 24, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »
DELIVERIES FROM JAPAN

Hi Folks,

I bought some spare EW1 bogies and the new Kato loco and two coach set from HobbySearch with "Track and Trace". According to the Japanese Post Office, who I trust, they left Tokyo on the 17th and 18th respectively. According to the British Post Office they are just leaving Tokyo, which I don't believe for one moment. I think they are stuck in the HMRC facility at Langley awaiting tax assessment. I hate to think how long it will take now and as for after Britex when EVERYTHING has to be examined. Next time I'm in Europe I might send myself some smelly cheese as revenge! It's time the UK woke up to it being a World Market not a corner shop affair.  :veryangry:

What's your current experience of stuff coming through Heathrow, the UK's "Gateway to the World"?  :confused2:

Exasperated,  :help:

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #952 on: October 24, 2018, 04:47:04 PM »
DELIVERIES FROM JAPAN

One of mine shows Dispatch from outward office of exchange on the 19th and arrived yesterday in NZ. To avoid that both parcel arrive at the same day in NZ I paid for the 2nd parcel on Monday. The friendly people at Hobbysearch told me Japan Post have a delay at the moment and it could take longer than usual before shipments actually leave Japan.

steve

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #953 on: October 24, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
DELIVERIES FROM JAPAN

Hi Folks,

What's your current experience of stuff coming through Heathrow, the UK's "Gateway to the World"?  :confused2:

Exasperated,  :help:

Mike Beard.

Hullo Mike,

I've just received a couple of cross-overs (LH & RH) from Japan, which I brought via EvilBuy.

They took a lot longer to arrive than the stated delivery time, but pitched up last week when I was on jolly hollies.

I got stung though for £20.20 Customs and Royal Mail handling charge, and had to pay and collect yesterday from my local sorting orifice on the other side of Cambridge to me. Fortunately, traffic was light for a change.

The savings I would have made buying from Japan have been swallowed up by the extra charge, so lesson learnt and next time go to Train Trax. I buy LGB (and Kato) from Europe sometimes, but you don't get customs charges as yet, pre Brexit.

My advice to you is to be patient, give it twice as long as you would normally, as your consignment is probably on a container on a big ship heading to Felixstowe, rather than a big jet to Heathrow....
Gizzy

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #954 on: October 24, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm not disputing that my parcels are in the UK, it's just that they are in that "Never, Never Land" of the HMRC which is a branch of the Chief Persecutor of the People - HM Treasury.

Thought for the Day!

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #955 on: October 25, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »
Mike, thanks for the link the other day to a very interesting forum. I'm lurking around there and found some interesting ideas which brought me to this page with even more interesting layout and module ideas...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/salisburyasc/albums/72157684758976743

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #956 on: October 25, 2018, 09:50:22 AM »
Yes, that's Paul RhB from the NGRM site.

Mike

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #957 on: October 27, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
Spare EW1 Bogies and other things.

Gentlemen,

The Post Office spat out, without charge, my consignment of spare EW1 bogies from Hobby Search. These are my "buffer" against irrepairable damage to bogies while I fit new MicroTrains couplings. HS, bless them, sold me 4 pairs rather than two pairs so now I have enough to re-bogie half my 8 coach EW1 fleet! I have not yet fitted any Microtrains couplings to EW1 bogies. However, the GEX and Bernia coaches in real life have the same bogies but in Kato Life they are a totally different design. I have fitted couplings in various ways to the GEX and Bernina bogies as well as the MDS-Modell ones  but I'm trying to discover why the MT 1129 couplings are a semi-failure as these could go in with virtually no structural modifications what so ever. I have to add there is very little clearance between the tops of the bogies and the bottom of the floor. When I have a 1129 solution sorted out that should be "universal" I'll post photos of all that I have done but I don't really have a close-up lens on my camera so it may be a bit hit and miss.

Cheers,

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #958 on: October 28, 2018, 01:16:03 AM »
While going thru my Micro Trains unassembled coupler box to look for some 2004 coupler I found a bag of Micro Trains #902 Short Shank and a bag of #901 medium shank Z scale coupler for Marklin and instantly I've had one of those light bulb moments. It's all @Metroman64 's fault  ;)

Maybe they will fit into the Kato EW I trucks (bogies) ? Well yes, they do.

Not sure yet if I will secure the coupler in there with a thin piece of brass with a hole or not. As is now, they can slightly rotate or come slightly apart (further tests necessary I guess)

Two Ew I equiped with these Micro Trains #902 short shank Z scale coupler around a Kato Unitrack R282 (11") curve. As you can see, the cars barely touch but that will only happen when standing still or when pushed, when pulled they do not touch. As long as Kato does not have a pilot car there is no problem  ;) While probably not the best look when they barely touch, there are no forces involved which will push the cars to derail.
I also tested the Micro Trains #901 medium shank Z scale coupler, then there will be a 2mm gap between the two points which barely touch on that R282 (11") curve or with one #901 and one #902 the gap will be 1mm.

This shows how close coupled they are compared with the Kato short coupler.

Next step will be to figure out if these #901 or #902 could also easily be fitted to the locomotives. R282 11" as the minimal radius is fine for me. I do not even have smaller track to test how the #901 medium shank would work on the 9 3/4".

It looks like I have to forget the cheap N scale Micro Trains 1015 clones and go with Micro Trains Z scale coupler after all. @Metroman64 what have you done !   :thankyousign:

steve     

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #959 on: October 28, 2018, 01:33:52 AM »
Did some more tests with two GEX and with EW I and GEX combined.

GEX with MTL #902 Z scale short shank for Marklin

GEX with MTL #902 short shank on Kato R282 (11") radius curve

EW I and GEX with MTL #902 short shank Z scale

EW I and GEX with MTL #902 short shank on Kato R282 (11") radius curve

Both pictures on R282 are pushed together, they do barely touch but there are no forces involved which could derail the cars.

I made up my decision, I will go MTL Z scale. Minimum R282 (11") radius is fine with me and the fact that they barely touch is ok if I get the close coupled look with these Micro Trains #902 short shank Z scale coupler for Marklin on a straight   :heart2:

Next task is to get more of the short bellows (Faltenbalgubergange) from the EW I to change all the huge ones on all the GEX cars. I'm not gonna buy the short coupler sets just for the short bellows. (Note to myself: good luck with that)  ;)

steve

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here