!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 95311 times)

Offline Gizzy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #1170 on: July 15, 2020, 09:10:20 PM »
Usual conversion to Nm.

Nice! Could you please just explain this, I'm not so up on Nm etc. Is the model 1:160? I probably should read back on the thread to find out  :D

Cheers
Matt

Nm is N gauge running on Z gauge track 6.5mm. More prototypically correct for metre gauge. It is a standard Kato GE4/4 III which is to 1/150. AB Model and others produce their stock to 1/160 whilst Kato stuck to the near Japanese standard of 1/150 (they actually do N gauge at 1/152) Its basically a compromise. When you put a GE4/4 III from 1/150 and 1/160 together, there is a noticeable difference. Most modellers live with it, I do. This is the fifteenth one I have done, some are the same loco different liveries. I have also done this one 648 in Lanxess.
I don't suppose the AB Model stock can be re-wheeled for 9mm track by any chance?

I saw in Continental Modeller a rather nice Driving trailer, which I covet, and if it fits in with Kato EW1 stock, then I'd be interested....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1171 on: July 15, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »

Nm is N gauge running on Z gauge track 6.5mm. More prototypically correct for metre gauge. It is a standard Kato GE4/4 III which is to 1/150. AB Model and others produce their stock to 1/160 whilst Kato stuck to the near Japanese standard of 1/150 (they actually do N gauge at 1/152) Its basically a compromise. When you put a GE4/4 III from 1/150 and 1/160 together, there is a noticeable difference. Most modellers live with it, I do. This is the fifteenth one I have done, some are the same loco different liveries. I have also done this one 648 in Lanxess.

Thank you - all clear now!  :thumbsup:

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #1172 on: July 15, 2020, 10:06:48 PM »
AB Model and others produce their stock to 1/160 whilst Kato stuck to the near Japanese standard of 1/150
I don't suppose the AB Model stock can be re-wheeled for 9mm track by any chance?

I saw in Continental Modeller a rather nice Driving trailer, which I covet, and if it fits in with Kato EW1 stock, then I'd be interested....

If the AB Model stuff is 1:160 and Kato is 1:150 I wouldn't expect it to fit in. Although I think Kato's EW1s are on the small side (or aren't too tall like everything else) so maybe it would look OK.

Why oh why oh why aren't things simpler. One gauge, one scale, everything the size it should be. And one standard coupling that doesn't look awful and works on small radius curves. Is that too much to ask?

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #1173 on: July 15, 2020, 10:08:53 PM »
yes   :dunce:

steve

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #1174 on: July 15, 2020, 10:15:17 PM »
Usual conversion to Nm.

Nice! Could you please just explain this, I'm not so up on Nm etc. Is the model 1:160? I probably should read back on the thread to find out  :D

Cheers
Matt

I know the wagons cannot be re-gauged to 9mm because of the clearances and I think the coaches are difficult to do. Yes, the driving trailer is nice, they will be part 3D printed with etched parts and will be hand assembled. Michael told me the price will be around 300.00 and they won't be available until the end of the year or probably next year. On Shapeways, there are a few RhB items, worth checking out, they include the driving trailers so may work out cheaper. I did one a couple of years ago, but it still cost me over 100.00 by the time I have finished. Modelling the RhB in N is not cheap, its almost as expensive as Bemo in HOm!

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1175 on: July 22, 2020, 10:41:54 AM »

I know the wagons cannot be re-gauged to 9mm because of the clearances and I think the coaches are difficult to do. Yes, the driving trailer is nice, they will be part 3D printed with etched parts and will be hand assembled. Michael told me the price will be around 300.00 and they won't be available until the end of the year or probably next year. On Shapeways, there are a few RhB items, worth checking out, they include the driving trailers so may work out cheaper. I did one a couple of years ago, but it still cost me over 100.00 by the time I have finished. Modelling the RhB in N is not cheap, its almost as expensive as Bemo in HOm!

@Metroman, could you send me a link to the driving trailers on Shapeways please?

I've just ordered Fitzgreve's Tm 2/2 but I couldn't see any ABt's.
Gizzy

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #1176 on: July 22, 2020, 11:45:00 AM »
I've just ordered Fitzgreve's Tm 2/2

Does this mean you've managed to find an affordable HM-01 chassis? Or is there another chassis that will fit?

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1177 on: July 22, 2020, 11:53:04 AM »

Does this mean you've managed to find an affordable HM-01 chassis? Or is there another chassis that will fit?

No not yet, but I might have something else that'll fit?

Otherwise, it'll be a static model until I do....

Gizzy

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1178 on: July 30, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »

No not yet, but I might have something else that'll fit?

Otherwise, it'll be a static model until I do....

I've ordered a Kato HM-01 chassis today. I will crack on with painting my Shapeways Tm 2/2 which arrived earlier this week....
Gizzy

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #1179 on: August 09, 2020, 09:32:38 PM »
Just finished one of my favourite liveries on a GE 4/4 III. The Radio Rumanitsch/TV Rumanitsch as applied to 644 & 645. This one is 644 done with home printed decals. The front ends were the hardest as the perspective had to be altered from the pictures I had. Its not 100% but unless you have a photo next to it, you wouldn't know. Usual details, AB Modell handrails, converted to Nm, Microtrains Z couplers. Hoses to be fitted as I am awaiting some to arrive. Photos not the best as taken with my iPhone.

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #1180 on: September 04, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
Some novelties announced for January 2021 !

Wanted items (only in their original box):
- Union Mills, 3F 0-6-0 steam locomotive in LMS crimson

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #1181 on: September 04, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
Oooooh! Now we just need a krokodil to pull the panoramic wagons.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #1182 on: September 04, 2020, 11:37:05 AM »
Some novelties announced for January 2021 !

ED19s, great, will get 3 more   :)  Thanks.

steve

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #1183 on: September 04, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »
Oooooh! Now we just need a krokodil to pull the panoramic wagons.

2021 will be the 100 year anniversary for the Krokodil, I think we have to wait till the Nurnberg Spielwarenmesse for the Krokodil and Salonwagen announcement, fingers crossed   :dunce:

steve

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal