!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Globi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »
Same stuff. It's mostly the webbing between the sleepers which makes fixed track keep its shape (possibly slightly harder plastic too)

Ah interesting. Thank you!

Matt :thumbsup:

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
Things are still rolling along, but nothing dramatically new to show. I've revised the tunnel portals to be more substantial, rather pleased I did this work.

I've also been finessing the mock-up of my station, I'm happy with the scale now and just need to get on with the final version, which will be in either plasticard or greyboard.

Track is also getting progressively fixed down. To think, initially I was going to have no points at all - ha ha!

Sorry I keep showing the same rolling stock, but all funds are going on scenics at the moment!

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »
It's looking very good.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2018, 04:33:28 PM »
Same stuff. It's mostly the webbing between the sleepers which makes fixed track keep its shape (possibly slightly harder plastic too)

On the subject of track, Nick, how do you weather your ballast? Do you airbrush it or have you used other techniques before?

Cheers

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »

On the subject of track, Nick, how do you weather your ballast? Do you airbrush it or have you used other techniques before?

Cheers

A light airbrush spray with a thinned mixture of Tamiya acrylics, mostly XF-52 Flat Earth with a little variation to suit the location eg. darker colours on old sidings and yards, a bit of brake dust in stations - that sort of thing. 
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »

Cheers

Ah thought so. I'm not geared up for airbrushing, will have to stick with dry brush techniques etc.

Matt

A light airbrush spray with a thinned mixture of Tamiya acrylics, mostly XF-52 Flat Earth with a little variation to suit the location eg. darker colours on old sidings and yards, a bit of brake dust in stations - that sort of thing.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2018, 10:47:49 AM »
Mountain
Finally my mountain no longer looks like a chocolate cake! It’s been very enjoyable doing the flocking and weathering effects and pleased with the outcome. Whoever suggested making the hill removable (think it was Nick) thank you for that!

Platform conundrum
I’m not quite sure what height to set the platforms at. I’m probably going to have a slab of raised ground in the centre of the layout so that the platform surface is at ‘ground level’.

The track in the station is, like all the track, sitting on 2mm thick cork directly on the baseboard. Current thinking is to raise the ground level that the station sits on with two pieces of sandwiched 5mm foam board. This effectively gives a platform height of 8mm from the bottom of the sleepers. However with ballasting filling the edges between the sleepers and the platform edge, it’s going to be an effective height of 6mm or 7mm. Does this sound about right? I’ve attached a diagram to clarify.  :hmmm:

Cheers
Matt

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
Great work :thumbsup:. You really have been busy Matt.
You might find this site useful when determining your platform heights. https://nscaleblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/minimum-platform-sizes-after-german-station-extension-on-nem-clearances/
John

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
Great work :thumbsup:. You really have been busy Matt.
You might find this site useful when determining your platform heights. https://nscaleblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/minimum-platform-sizes-after-german-station-extension-on-nem-clearances/

Thanks John, and your link is really super-useful!  :thumbsup: :)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »
That looks good Matt.
You’ve done an excellent job on that mountain.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2018, 12:36:06 PM »
I've been watching this thread for the last couple or three months now, and your layout is coming on nicely....
Gizzy

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2018, 12:55:40 PM »
Looking good.   Personally I wouldn't bother raising the level of the entire inner part, just do it where you need it under the platform and station building itself.    Maybe add a little undulation here and there so it's not all dead flat.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »
That looks good Matt.
You’ve done an excellent job on that mountain.

Thank you, yes dead happy with it!  :)

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
I've been watching this thread for the last couple or three months now, and your layout is coming on nicely....

Cheers Gizzy!  :thumbsup:

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »
Looking good.   Personally I wouldn't bother raising the level of the entire inner part, just do it where you need it under the platform and station building itself.    Maybe add a little undulation here and there so it's not all dead flat.

Cheers! You may be right on this Nick, I'll have a ponder....

Matt

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £337.00
Above Goal: £282.00
Site Currency: GBP
613% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything