!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery  (Read 8172 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »
Many thanks for the update. Coming along very nicely, indeed. The saddle tank is excellent work.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »
Mike - I'd be interested to know about which household filler you used for the yard as a previous attempt by me just resulted in it cracking up (closely followed by me :laugh3:)
 :thankyousign:

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 10:14:21 PM »
Mike - I'd be interested to know about which household filler you used for the yard as a previous attempt by me just resulted in it cracking up (closely followed by me :laugh3:)

It's B&Q's basic Diall Ready to Use Filler, but it's only been down since the weekend, so anything could still happen!

Mike

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:54:16 PM by maridunian »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 05:52:19 PM »

Mix a bit of PVA glue in with the filler. That "should" stop it cracking. Put some glue on the surface you are going to cover as well.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »

Use modelling clay like Das or Hobby Crafts own brand which is cheaper if you are having issues with plaster, especially as it will be easier to get nice and flat using a rolling pin. Plus if you feel inclined to put the extra effort in you can scribe cobbles into it when dry; I am tempted to do this myself in my goods yard, it will take quite a bit of time but shouldn't get the join and cut lines that you do with plasticard.
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 10:03:32 AM »

Use modelling clay like Das or Hobby Crafts own brand which is cheaper if you are having issues with plaster, especially as it will be easier to get nice and flat using a rolling pin. Plus if you feel inclined to put the extra effort in you can scribe cobbles into it when dry; I am tempted to do this myself in my goods yard, it will take quite a bit of time but shouldn't get the join and cut lines that you do with plasticard.

I 'paved' my loading bank with Metcalf's stone paper, but if you want a cobbled yard, you need one of these!

! No longer available

Mike
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:05:10 AM by maridunian »

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
Mike,

Thanks - that looks pretty good! FWIW they're available here for the track roller alone, or here in a set with roller for larger areas.

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »
good find jrb. I may give making one of these a go on my 3d printer as could be a fun project (though i doubt my machine can do it to the same detail as shapeways). Plus I 'd like one that is closer to cobbles than bricks for backstreets. Probably end up buying these anyway when mine screws up lol  :dunce:
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 10:50:55 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on those products! So easy and excellent results!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »
Progress has been very slow on all Maridunian Railways projects recently!

I finished laying the goods yard, transfer sidings and coal screens using household filler, as described above, to fill between tracks and/or rails, as required. Painted these with emulsion matchpots, then stained with Games Workshop inks and finally rubbed over with dusty fingertips!

As you can see, I've added an access road to the platform and goods yard. I laid ballast, secured as usual with diluted PVA, then added a smear of filler for the road surface. Between the rails I could have added sleepers, as per the level crossing at the signal box, but decided to keep things crude and minimalist. Filler was pressed between the rails and smoothed flush. When almost set, the corner of a 6" steel ruler was used to gouge out flange grooves. An old wagon with pizza-cutter wheels finished the job.

Here's a view of the yard from the signal box:

Lots of detailing and vegetation to add, of course, but looks to be getting there, slowly...

Mike

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:32:52 AM by maridunian »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 12:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the update - looking great!

How's it running? I've always found filling between the rails problematic.

Hints and tips readily taken on board!   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 01:36:20 PM »
Thanks for the update - looking great!

Thank you!

How's it running? I've always found filling between the rails problematic.

All Ok, so far.

The tracks have been pinned down for ~4 months now so the rail joiners aren't flopping about and electrical continuity was good to start with.

The readymix filler is pastey rather than runny, so not much shorting risk, nor has it seeped into any joints. (As its mostly peco flexitrack, there arent many joints.)

The rails had previously been painted in situ with one of these, which might have helped seal the joints.

By levelling the filler with the rails when it's put on, the minimal shrinkage drops it a little below rail level when dry. This means that loco wheels don't lift off the rail, breaking contact, and when you clean the rail heads you dont scrape paint off your yard.

Gouge deeply enough to accommodate your grossest loco wheel flanges, else they will run on the filler at the bottom of the groove, lift off the railhead and stall the loco.

Stain rather than paint the inner surfaces of the flangeways - the stain soaks in a little way so you don't get glaring white surfaces the moment traffic begins.

I've kept the crossing places right away from the moving bits of the (dead frog) points, as you would in real life.

That's about it really - all trial and error!

Mike

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:05:10 PM by maridunian »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 02:10:37 PM »
Thanks for the update: excellent photos. of a very attractive layout and a very useful explanation of how you achieved it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:28:28 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
Thanks for the update: excellent photos. pf a very attractive layout and a very useful explanation of how you achieved it.

Thank you - I'm aiming for small but beautifully formed!

It's a just a coffee-table roundy-roundy, but I want each little bit to look as realistic as possible, which is why these few square inches have taken so long. I also believe that 'less is more (realistic)' - spaces look bigger empty than when they're full - so I'm happy to 'waste' space as if it were a large layout.

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
Mike,

Thanks - that looks pretty good! FWIW they're available here for the track roller alone, or here in a set with roller for larger areas.

Well, 3D printing may be a 21st century development, but it seems that we've been using rollers to emboss clay for at least 5,000 years!

I spotted this roller measuring about 15mmx15mm in the Burrell Collection, near Glasgow, recently.

Mike

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £265.00
Above Goal: £210.00
Site Currency: GBP
482% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything