!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery - the Many Tricks Mine  (Read 15407 times)

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery - the Many Tricks Mine
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »
 :hellosign:
    Looking good Mike, excellent modelling   :thumbsup:
      stay safe regards Derek.

Offline Stuarted

• Awards
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2020, 09:18:53 PM »
Yes, very impressive. I couldnít aspire to a feat of engineering like that.

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2020, 11:41:07 PM »
Thanks both. I've never built anything like this before either - I feel I'm maxing out on my luck at each stage, then I stop and think about my next step. In this case, it's how to get the cable around one pulley, then back around the other, then up to the headstock...

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2020, 08:36:48 AM »
In between current projects I've actually spent some time running trains!

The cables running from the winding house to the pit headstock are handrail wire, helping me mull the positioning of it all prior to connecting it all up.

Keep safe everyone!

Mike

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
A cosy fit ....

But fit, it does. These buildings sit on a 12mm thick plank - Welsh mines often used a "rampart" design where the pithead was located on a natural or man-made hillock, so loading coal into wagons was straight-forward. The plank has been cut away for my gearbox.

The d-shaped clip from a rollerblind cord is how I'll get my downward wound cable to turn back on itself and head back over the second winding wheel back up to the headstock. From there, the cable loop will drop to a similar clip under the pithead building.

Inching forwards....

Mike
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:26:51 PM by maridunian »

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2020, 06:44:16 PM »
A cosy fit ....

But fit, it does. These buildings sit on a 12mm thick plank - Welsh mines often used a "rampart" design where the pithead was located on a natural or man-made hillock, so loading coal into wagons was straight-forward. The plank has been cut away for my gearbox.

The d-shaped clip from a rollerblind cord is how I'll get my downward wound cable to turn back on itself and head back over the second winding wheel back up to the headstock. From there, the cable loop will drop to a similar clip under the pithead building.

Inching forwards....

Mike

Hi Mike,

Ive been watching the winding gear updates with real interest, its looking great so far.

I can't wait to see the cables attached and the wheels turning - living in NE England right in the middle of the durham coalfields area, it will bring back many memories from my childhood.  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2020, 08:36:41 PM »

Hi Mike,

Ive been watching the winding gear updates with real interest, its looking great so far.

I can't wait to see the cables attached and the wheels turning - living in NE England right in the middle of the durham coalfields area, it will bring back many memories from my childhood.  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek

Thanks Derek. I'm sure it will work, eventually, but it's one small step at a time currently. It took a couple of hours shuffling gears and making cutouts in the winding house to get to this point. I did manage to get some elasticated thread in a supermarket last week. That was a nice surprise - I thought I'd have to wait until after the lockdown to get any of that!

Mike

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2020, 12:24:53 AM »
Thanks Derek. I'm sure it will work, eventually, but it's one small step at a time currently. It took a couple of hours shuffling gears and making cutouts in the winding house to get to this point. I did manage to get some elasticated thread in a supermarket last week. That was a nice surprise - I thought I'd have to wait until after the lockdown to get any of that!

Mike
Take your time Mike and get it right, you must video the end result.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
Slow progress with the colliery winding mechanism. I've now decided it must be fixed to the baseboard, rather than to the plank the winding house and pithead are mounted on.

The black spoked winding wheels were from a toy motorbike. The return wheel spins freely and that's fine, but the winder needs to turn with the mechanism. I failed to get it to hold the spindle, so have literally bound it to gear 5 with a couple of loops of fine wire round opposite spokes, looped through pairs of 1mm holes drilled in the gear. Also replaced the motor wires with more flexible cables; I'm hoping to suspend a battery in the roof.

Inching onwards...

Mike

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2020, 09:23:02 PM »
Great stuff, Mike.  :thumbsup:

Coming from just around the corner (literally) from Derek, I'm looking forward to the end result too!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2020, 10:35:14 PM »

Coming from just around the corner (literally) from Derek, I'm looking forward to the end result too!  :beers:
Thatís literally true Mike - about 2 miles, no wonder George went down under, all that dust and grime while the pits were in operation. From my house there were 5 pits working within 3 miles, the closest (Herrington Pit) about a mile away as the crow flies.
Monkwearmouth colliery had a seam that went straight out under the North Sea and from what Iím told directly under the north and south piers at Sunderland for approx 3 miles - the former site is now the home of the football ground of Sunderland AFC  ĎThe Stadium of Lightí.
As a kid, I used to love watching the pit head wheels turning and like I said previously, I canít wait to see your model in operation  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2020, 10:51:26 PM »
I did a college dissertation over 1972-73 entitled The Effects of Mining and Quarrying within a five mile radius of Houghton-le-Spring, just at the time the pits were shutting down.

Still have it! A pretty depressing time in the North East, and it wasn't a difficult decision for a young Bealman to move to Australia.

I was glad when I landed in Sydney, but by hell, me arms were tired  ;)

Edit: 1973 wasn't all bad.... we did win the FA cup  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:44:22 PM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: Yesterday at 09:13:16 AM »

Apologies for hijacking your thread

@Bealman
You were lucky, the greatest team lost  :'( and I was there as I was against Arsenal the previous year

Stay safe

Mike H 8)

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: Yesterday at 10:13:48 AM »
I was glad when I landed in Sydney, but by hell, me arms were tired  ;)

Haha my dad used to crack the same joke, he originated from Philli, mustíve been a local thing  :laughabovepost:

Aye I remember it well, I was 10 at the time , all my brothers had tickets and went, we watched it on the telly. Then after the match my mates and I all went into the street to Ďrecreateí the game, trouble was nobody wanted to be Leeds. So we were all Sunderland, as you can imagine poor Leeds got hammered with no players or goalie.
Cheers Derek

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: Yesterday at 10:16:27 AM »

Thatís literally true Mike - about 2 miles, no wonder George went down under, all that dust and grime while the pits were in operation. From my house there were 5 pits working within 3 miles, the closest (Herrington Pit) about a mile away as the crow flies.
Monkwearmouth colliery had a seam that went straight out under the North Sea and from what Iím told directly under the north and south piers at Sunderland for approx 3 miles - the former site is now the home of the football ground of Sunderland AFC  ĎThe Stadium of Lightí.
As a kid, I used to love watching the pit head wheels turning and like I said previously, I canít wait to see your model in operation  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek

Thanks guys.

Coal mining shaped so many parts of the UK. My last job was in Edinburgh; initially I lived in Granton on a harbour built before the Forth rail bridge to receive coal wagon ferries coming south via Burntisland harbour from the Fife coalfield.

My wife used to live in Gateshead alongside the massive Dunston coal staithes.

We retired a few years ago to the seaside about 20 miles from where I was born and live in a (modernised) miner's terraced cottage in a village that was more-or-less created to service the local iron and coal industry.

Derek - you mentioned Monkwearmouth - did you see my NCB brake van project ?

Mike
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:41:32 PM by maridunian »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal