!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco wagon kits - mini review  (Read 13846 times)

Offline Chris Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
Re: Peco wagon kits - mini review
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
Mine are fine with plastic wheels.
This lot have run miles round my layout at exhibitions without any problems. I always put a GF wagon with metal wheels behind the loco and I think this helps. All the others are Peco kits.

Also got a few Peco vans mixed in with GF vans just to give a bit of variety to my van train.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:54:09 AM by Chris Morris »

Offline Vanders

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »
The old Parkside Dundas are now owned by Peco and now called Parkside. These can be a bit tricky getting the solebars in exactly the right position. They will hopefully have clearer instructions in future, and less will get thrown at the cat!

Peco have hinted they will expand the Parkside range.
I'll be interested to see if Peco replace the plastic wheels in their current wagon kit range with the far superior Parkside metal wheels.

My #1 complaint with Peco (& Parkside) kits is still that the N gauge kits don't include decals. It's not like they don't know how; their O gauge kits include suitable decals!

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2018, 11:55:55 PM »
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a few (10) Butterley style steel open wagons to build up my mineral wagon rakes, Let's see how I get on with them.... I also bought farish wheels for them...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:18:13 AM by JonHarbour, Reason: Spelling error correction »
Still planning a layout...

Offline bridgiesimon

• N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2018, 06:19:23 PM »
I prefer the plastic wheels for my shunting stock because I find that the steel in the wheels gets attracted to electro magnets when I am uncoupling causing all sorts of problems.
Parkside wheels are not very reliable long term, I have had to replace too many as they fall apart in use.

I do agree that the Farish wheelsets are good and for longer fixed rakes, they are the way to go.

Best wishes
SImon

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »
I do agree that the Farish wheelsets are good and for longer fixed rakes, they are the way to go.

I'm sure that's normally true, but around half my Farish 12-ton vans seem to have stopped rolling, or perhaps never rolled. They get dragged around the layout. I wish I knew why! My other Farish stock does indeed roll nicely.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline JonHarbour

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2018, 01:27:20 AM »
What is the collective wisdom concerning the appropriate transfers to use for with the PECO 16T Butterley wagon kits? I was looking at using NT2601 B.R. 16T Steel Mineral Wagons (diag 108) unfitted from Modelmaster? Would these be appropriate?

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2018, 06:11:44 AM »
What is the collective wisdom concerning the appropriate transfers to use for with the PECO 16T Butterley wagon kits? I was looking at using NT2601 B.R. 16T Steel Mineral Wagons (diag 108) unfitted from Modelmaster? Would these be appropriate?

They'd be close enough, surely? Obviously the actual wagon numbers would be different, but nobody is going to notice that in a mixed rake. Things like data panels would certainly be similar enough the transfers could pass muster without any issues. As always, it's best to look at photos of the real wagons rather than what's on other people's layouts, but by the time these wagons have been weathered, nobody's going to be able to read what's written on the data panels, so it shouldn't matter if something not 100% accurate.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2018, 06:23:48 AM »
It's worth noting that the Peco 16T mineral is slightly smaller than the Farish version and so they look rather odd next to each other. 

Offline JonHarbour

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2018, 06:33:49 AM »
It's worth noting that the Peco 16T mineral is slightly smaller than the Farish version and so they look rather odd next to each other. 

Thanks! Noted. I've received 10 already and had another 10 on order from Osborns which didn't arrive (but to their credit they are now resending), so a rake of 20 is a decent start. I expect more to come after that, so eventally I should manage a full train composed entirely of them.

Online Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2018, 08:43:15 AM »
Glad to hear I am not the only one not receiving their orders from Osborne Models, wish I had googled them before ordering, apparently order problems are quite common with them.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2018, 01:15:59 PM »
...apparently order problems are quite common with them.

But not universal. A recent order of a few kits and bits arrived within about a week of ordering.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
I recently ordered a couple of their exclusive cattle lorries and got them next day!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here