!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lostwithiel MkIII  (Read 24254 times)

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Lace Wars
    • Awards
Re: Lostwithiel MkIII
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
Thanks chaps, I'm really pleased with it.

Here are a few pics taken of a new bit of the layout including my new N Class and Merchant Navy (also Christmas presents).

A Southern N Class approaches Lostwithiel with a service from Wadebridge.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

A class 47 leaves Lostwithiel with a short parcels train for Plymouth.

Followed by a Merchant Navy heading to London.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:30:23 PM by Ensign Elliott »

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2016, 06:53:47 PM »
Very nice images again...specially the 47 :)

Is the bridge shown the one carrying the A390 over the north end of the goods loops?

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2016, 06:57:09 PM »

Is the bridge shown the one carrying the A390 over the north end of the goods loops?

It is indeed :)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
Excellent pictures there.
The layout is looking good.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
Many thanks for another very nice set of photos. Very nice Christmas presents. The 'N's are very nice models. A BR Black Late Crest 'N' with a BR SR Green CCT plus a BR SR Green BR Standard CK and BSK (or, more likely in North Cornwall, a BCK and SK) is definitely a train that would be seen at Wadebridge from where it could either run NNW to Penmayne, via Cant Cove, or NSW to Trepol Bay. 8-) I still have add the North Cornwall discs to mine.

The BR Green Class 47 is a very nice model, too; however, my ex-works D1662 is still awaiting DCC-fitting. However, I can certainly duplicate the parcels train of BR Standard BGs.

Alas the 'Merchant Navy' class were too heavy to work west of Exeter (certainly on the SR mainline; maybe not on the WR mainline as far as Plymouth, not over Brunel's bridge over the Tamar though, I think; King's could not).

Your ballasting is very good.

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »
Many thanks for another very nice set of photos. Very nice Christmas presents. The 'N's are very nice models. A BR Black Late Crest 'N' with a BR SR Green CCT plus a BR SR Green BR Standard CK and BSK (or, more likely in North Cornwall, a BCK and SK) is definitely a train that would be seen at Wadebridge from where it could either run NNW to Penmayne, via Cant Cove, or NSW to Trepol Bay. 8-) I still have add the North Cornwall discs to mine.

The BR Green Class 47 is a very nice model, too; however, my ex-works D1662 is still awaiting DCC-fitting. However, I can certainly duplicate the parcels train of BR Standard BGs.

Alas the 'Merchant Navy' class were too heavy to work west of Exeter (certainly on the SR mainline; maybe not on the WR mainline as far as Plymouth, not over Brunel's bridge over the Tamar though, I think; King's could not).

Your ballasting is very good.

Thanks Chris, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to ballasting, and I'm still not 100% happy with what I've done so far. The points still need a bit of work. Still, I think its a reasonable representation of the nice redy-brown ballast colour shown in so many of the steam ear colour pics I have of the area.

Indeed, I'm quite pleased with these trains. Thanks for that useful bit of info - I didn't think there was much difference between Merchant Navys, BoBs and West Countrys. Never mind, I'll just have to pretend MNs could run into Cornwall  ;)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2016, 08:20:45 PM »
The 'West Country' and 'Battle of Britain' class were lighter versions of Bulleid's 'Merchant Navy Class being, I think, specifically designed for the weight restricted SR lines in the Southwest. MNs could run as far as Exeter but not beyond, on the SR. On the WR the problem was the bridge over the Tamar. I believe BR rebuilt it to take heavier trains but when this was (sometime in the 1960s) and whether it would then have allowed MNs to run on the WR mainline to Penzance, I don't know. So, it will have to be 'Rule One' and the assumption that the WR made the necessary investment (as they did, in our alternative Cornwall to allow heavier locos. to work from Bodmin Junction to Wadebridge and Penmayne!).

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
A few more pics...

A 38xx takes a short freight into Lostwithiel from Bodmin:

The loco then awaits its next duties:

A V2 passes with an up inter-regional working - I know a V2 in Cornwall!!

Followed by a Plymouth service:

A calm moment at Lostwithiel:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »
Many thanks for the excellent photos. The weathering looks highly realistic as does the track and scenery. Almost like a real-life photo., particularly, 20160208 202848.

When the WR found itself short of locos. (WR steam withdrawn too quickly and diesel-hydraulics still too unreliable) they borrowed anything they could get their hands on. V2s regularly worked into Bristol and I think they also got further Southwest but, I think not as far as Plymouth? At least one LNER V2 arrived at Bristol Temple Meads on a NE -SW train in BR days. (The V2 was on one of the York? - SW runs which commonly were B1 hauled. The NE loco was AFAIK usually replaced at Birmingham New St. On this occasion unusually it was a V2 which didn't get changed at Birmingham. It was quite common, on summer Saturdays, for Saltley to run out of locos for loco changing on NE - SW runs, but rare for V2's on these services.) The crew were about to take it further but the Western Region wouldn't allow it in their territory and sent packing back north! (For a short time, V2's could also be found on the Southern Region as they were sent there after cracks were found in the wheels of the Merchant Navy's).

(For John, Claverdon, a SR T9 was photographed in early 30's with a train of pre-grouping SR stock heading north through Hatton on the way to Birmingham with an express from the south coast. The caption said it was an unusual loco for this working (really!) )

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »
Excellent photos.
Great stuff
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2016, 12:04:18 AM »
Super photos and excellent weathering

Regards,

Alex

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2016, 12:57:01 AM »
Great photos indeed. I particularly like the under the arch shots, very atmospheric.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:30 AM »
Thanks all. I've posted some videos of them running on the N Gauge Forum Facebook page.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2016, 08:14:36 PM »
Very nice and realistic, something to aspire too. Nice weathering too not overdone, If I can get mine looking half has good I will be happy.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
I know you mentioned that you weren't entirely happy with your ballast. Well I have been looking at the phots and could it just be because where you have painted it, it is a single flat shade? How about if you wash it with a highly watered down darker shade of brown and/or green acrylic paint or ink, this would settle into the recesses and highlight the original colour more, then if needed drybrush hints of a slightly lighter shade over it? It would give it some depth rather than being a flat colour, thats what tabletop wargamers tend to do for painting mini's and terrain and is what I think I will give a try when I get round to laying mine.

Loving the layout so far and it's a great looking cutting, I will follow this thread with interest.
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything