!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lostwithiel MkIII  (Read 22371 times)

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Lace Wars
    • Awards
Re: Lostwithiel MkIII
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »
A few shots of a new 38xx I bought at Warley last week, along with some covered wagons I've been working on. All still need a good weathering.

A 38xx brings a pick up freight into Lostwithiel from Bodmin.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 01:12:21 PM »
Many thanks for this update. Excellent pictures. The 38XX looks very good. I wish I could justify running one. If it's a goods from Bodmin then I'm sure that there is a high possibility that some vehicles from the Wadebridge area, too (Penmayne, Cant Cove, Trepol Bay, and Port Perran) would have been added. I see there is an Insulated Container on a Conflat; probably fresh crab from Penmayne Harbour? (I have plenty of these including the factory weathered set of 3 but am not sure if Martin does, otherwise I would have added Trepol Bay but it is, mainly served, by SR trains.) The GW wagon tarpaulins are a nice touch; are they china clay wagons?

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
Many thanks for this update. Excellent pictures. The 38XX looks very good. I wish I could justify running one. If it's a goods from Bodmin then I'm sure that there is a high possibility that some vehicles from the Wadebridge area, too (Penmayne, Cant Cove, Trepol Bay, and Port Perran) would have been added. I see there is an Insulated Container on a Conflat; probably fresh crab from Penmayne Harbour? (I have plenty of these including the factory weathered set of 3 but am not sure if Martin does, otherwise I would have added Trepol Bay but it is, mainly served, by SR trains.) The GW wagon tarpaulins are a nice touch; are they china clay wagons?

Thanks. No, they are just general covered wagons. The china clay ones are heavily weathered white!

I was meaning to ask, what colour blue do you use for your PO vans? I have an old Farish van similar to the ones in your pics which I can paint up and include in my trains enroute to and from Penmayne, Cant Cove, Trepol Bay, and Port Perran :) 

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:38 PM »
I should have realised that the wagons weren't china clay ones!

There are a lot of different liveried PO wagons and vans. Martin handpaints his using acyrilic paints. (Usually I spraypaint the chassis and handpaint bufferbeams and buffers.) I handpaint the apple green "Sam's Cider" wagons and vans for Brian, using Humbrol enamel. After handpainting them using Humbrol enamel, I now spraypaint, using generic acyrilic paint aerosols, bought locally, the light blue "Castle Estates" and dark blue "Castle Brewery" stock. For both the "Castle Estates" and "Castle Brewery" stock every type of old Graham Farish and Peco wagon and van has been used so, whatever, your Farish one, it already has at least one 'prototype'.

Over the holidays, I will be preparing more vans and wagons (including single- and double-bolster timber wagons) for others plus some "Creech Brewery" vans and wagons for all of us. I will post some pictures of the stock as soon as I get time. (Eventually, there will be transfers for all of them.)

I will put some photos. up on my thread of liveried PO wagons, vans, and Conflat Containers and they can be found on Martin's (Port Perran, and Trepol Bay) threads, too, with explanations of 'what's what'. Martin's liveries include: Headland Brewery at Trepol Bay -- Black (or Dark Brown?) with gold triangle. The gold flash represents the brewery's new summer ale - Summer Lightning; the terracotta livery of James & Son Ltd, Granite Merchants from Port Perran, and the dark green livery of Messrs Prisk & Jones (Vegetable Wholesalers) from Trepol Bay.

If you have a Dapol BR SR Green CCT this would be very useful as these are very common, not just on the SR, but also on the WR (and are often seen on the LMR, ER, and even ScR, too). So, it would be a very good vehicle for 'through' services, as many of us have / will have one .
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:01:37 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2015, 07:39:15 PM »
The cutting is really super, what a great job - the photos down in are excellent. Thanks for sharing, it's really inspiring.

V. Best

PT

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »

Thanks. No, they are just general covered wagons. The china clay ones are heavily weathered white!

I was meaning to ask, what colour blue do you use for your PO vans? I have an old Farish van similar to the ones in your pics which I can paint up and include in my trains enroute to and from Penmayne, Cant Cove, Trepol Bay, and Port Perran :)
Looking forward to seeing some of those trains. We can always arrange to get some sent to you if you wish.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »
The "Castle Estates", Cant Cove, are sending their top salesman, Brandon Williams, (also working, on this trip, on commission, for the Alliance of West Country Breweries, as a business 'hunter') to South Cornwall (Lostwithiel area) to follow up leads provided by his boss, Marrek Prowse, the General Manager of the "Castle Estates", following his recent weekend there. Not only is he hoping to sign contracts, there, for the companies he represents but he is also hoping to discover if export goods traffic to Brittany could be routed to a rail-served port in the area.

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »

Not strictly layout related but one of my Christmas presents was a wooden stock case, handmade by my Dad. He started it in October and managed to get it finished in time for Christmas - I wondered why he was in the shed a lot recently!

8 drawers with 7 compartments in each, lined with foam. Handles are turned wood, inlaid with ebony.

Some modern stock:

The china clay drawer! :

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »
That is amazing.
I admire people who can make things out of wood.
You must be very pleased.
Well done your Dad.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2016, 07:41:40 PM »

Not strictly layout related but one of my Christmas presents was a wooden stock case, handmade by my Dad. He started it in October and managed to get it finished in time for Christmas - I wondered why he was in the shed a lot recently!

8 drawers with 7 compartments in each, lined with foam. Handles are turned wood, inlaid with ebony.

Some modern stock:

The china clay drawer! :

Wonderful present!!! That is a real treasure :) I've been looking about for display cases recently but after seeing this, I'm tempted towards trying to find/build/convert a stock box like this :)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »
That really is work of craftmanship. Many congratulations to your father on his wood working skills. A superb present and a great 'home' for all your rolling stock to be safely stored and easily found. I wish I had one (or several), too!

Happy New Year!

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2016, 09:26:07 PM »
That is a great piece of work, and the admiration from me increased when I realised just how small a piece it actually is :)

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »
That is a great piece of work, and the admiration from me increased when I realised just how small a piece it actually is :)

It may be small but it has tons of room! It can fit the equivalent of 224 coaches or 672 coal wagons! (56 individual slots, each with room for four coaches or a dozen wagons!). O.o
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2016, 11:36:40 AM »
That stock box is a wonderful present you must be very proud of your Dad whose skill we can but admire  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »
What an absolute gem of a present

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £250.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £175.00
Below Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
February Donations

Advertise Here