!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lostwithiel MkIII  (Read 24256 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Lostwithiel MkIII
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
The map needs updating as some of the lines may have since closed. Port Perran needs to be added, it is on the extension SW of Newquay in the Truro direction.

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »
Good morning. Thanks for your reply. You're very welcome to join in. It's a very informal group of friends modelling roughly from the 1950s to 1960s in the steam / diesel era. Some of us start earlier and some finish later in the period. Martin and I model BR WR and SR (steam and diesel locomotives and railcars) but with preserved GWR and SR steam trains, goods and passenger, running. John models BR WR and LMR in the West Midlands from the GWR into the BR Blue period and beyond. Brian models pre-BR and into the 1950s and early 1960s with LMS / LMR and GWR / WR. Brian, Martin and I all have PO wagons and vans in special liveries (and I have promised to make transfer sheets for them all). We also try to co-ordinate common locos. and rolling stock for 'through' running, as you've mentioned, if not the same running numbers, at least the same type. There are other forum members who also enjoy participating in the special trains program, too.

We have racehorse specials (in addition to the GF BR Standard horseboxes, I'm painting a batch of old GD wooden-bodied and Lima metal-bodied ones in BR Crimson & Satin Black liveries) plus will all have single- and double-bolster timber wagons in BR Late Bauxite and new "Castle Estates" liveries. (Brian has made some very realistic timber and log loads for them.) Please, PM me if you'd like any of these special rolling stock as I'll be finishing and posting them off, next month. I'm also finishing a few more "Sam's Cider" single-vent vans, too, which we all have one of but Brian needs more of for his local cidermaker. (Pictures of all of these can be found on my Cant Cove thread.) Martin and I have thriving local breweries which co-operate to resist the march of Whitbreads into the West Country! A range of vans and Conflat containers are available for or local businesses plus the "Castle Estates" is investing in a modern (1960s) fleet of LWB wagons and vans for fat goods services beyond Cornwall, including Ferry wagons for trade with the Continent, including, soon, Brittany.

The Cornish Loco. Preservation Group (branches in North, West and South Cornwall) that preserves and supports the running of SR and BR Standard steam locos., together with the Great Western Society (branches in the same parts of Cornwall, plus the west Midlands) that preserves and supports the running of GWR steam locos. and diesel railcars plus the Mid-Somerset Railway Preservation Society which is, I understand, starting at Withy Junction, all like to run special trains to visit friendly lines, discuss railways, drink beer and cider, and enjoy good local food.

On a larger scale, BR WR, SR, LMR and even ER run special through trains in connection with the program of special trains at holiday season (and there will be many this Christmas / New Year). So, you're very welcome to send and receive special passenger trains of any length and (almost) any period in BR days and send and receive goods wagons and vans. Between us we have most of the common Graham Farish and Peco stock plus some of the more modern Dapol and GF by Bachmann ones.

As you have a 14XX and autocoach that could be one of the first visitors. 8-)

And, of course, I cannot forget the very popular "Chelsea Girls" and the BR 'Fat Controller' who also put in appearances.

Brill, thanks. Would be great to take part. Looking at your map, I can send trains to Trepol Bay, Cant Cove, Port Perran etc via either Bodmin or the Newquay branch. Incidentally, I've spent several holidays stopping between Rock and Polzeath - just up the road from Penmayne!

My old layout was very much 1940s though recently, my stock has moved towards the BR 50s and 60s era with all the new diesels they keep bringing out. Like yourselves, I do apply a bit of modeller licence with regards to stock - for instance, a class 27 can sometimes be seen a long way from the highlands on clay services to Fowey - as I really liked the model!

I have a good selection of GWR/BR liveried Halls, Castles, Manors, Panniers, Prairies, 14xx and a Collett goods. Also some SR motive power with a Merchant Navy, Q1 and M7. Standards include a 9F and couple of 4mt and 2mt tanks, along with a small selection of MR locos. Diesel traction is provided by a couple of maroon Westerns, a green Warship, Hymek, 47, 27, 25, 22 and a 108 DMU. I also have a bit of modern stock (1995-2010ish).

Rolling stock is mainly Colletts and Mk1s in Choc & Cream, Maroon, Blood and Custard and SR green. Wagons are farish, dapol and peco - with clay wagons converted peco.

Hopefully from that list, we should have some trains we have in common. Maybe I can send some clay empties up to someone from Fowey docks or milk tanks from Lostwithiel creamery?? As Lostwithiel connects with the main line, its also a good place to connect with trains to/from the North/Midlands etc..

Thanks again

Rob

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
Many thanks for your detailed reply, Rob. That sounds very positive. Between Martin and I we have virtually all the loco. types you mention, including diesel but not a Class 27. Martin also has, I believe, a BR Green Class 108 whilst I have a three-car BR Green Class 101 awaiting DCC-fitting (near the back of the queue though). I have both Class 121 (dummy) and 122 (powered) BR Green railcars and Martin has a BR green Class 121 (powered), too. We both have BR Green ex-GWR diesel railcars plus, again, awaiting DCC-fitting, I also have a BR Crimson & Cream one. Martin has a BR Green Class 25 'on test' versus Class 22s and I have a BR Green Class 47, D1662 "IKB" but, once again, away for DCC-fitting. (I also have a Minitrix InterCity Class 47 but that won't appear for a long time.)

I usually don't run anything bigger than a "Manor" (GWR livery) or a Class 42 "Warship" (BR Maroon and BR Green); usually I run 45XX, 55XX, 57XX (on SR local trains or through trains from the WR) or 61XX tank locos. or one of my pair of Class 22s or pair of Class 35 "Hymeks", all BR Green, but do have a GF BR Maroon Class 52 "Western" (my BR "Castles" and "Halls" are away for DCC-fitting, again, low priority, as are my GWR livery tank engines, plus my BR Green 14XX and 82XXX, higher priority). I do have BR livery 57XX, 61XX, 94XX, 45XX and 55XX plus a 80XXX, tank engines, all DCC-fitted here (with more to come). My second 80XXX is on loan to Martin, temporarily. Plus I have, in BR livery, a SR 'N' and 2 X "Battle of Britain's" (with 2 more to come). Martin has a BR Black Q1 'on trial' and we both have BR Black Late Crest M7s (although mine is awaiting DCC-fitting and is due in the New Year). I will buy a BR Black T9 but Martin has a SR Green one. I will also buy a BR Black '700' 'Black Motor' 0-6-0. Martin and John have Collett 0-6-0s but I do not (although I want a BR Black one).

I have BR Maroon and a GWR livery Colletts and Mk1s in Choc & Cream, Maroon, Blood and Custard, plus BR Blue & Grey, and Bulleids, Maunsells and Mk1s in BR SR green and Bulleids in BR Crimson & Cream (cheaper than BR SR Green ones). Wagons are Farish, Dapol and Peco - with Kernow Model's GF clay wagons (Martin also has these, too, I think). Martin has Mk1s in Choc & Cream, Maroon, and Blood and Custard, as do Brian and John. John also has Colletts and Hawksworths. I have a Hawksworth BG plus a preserved GWR Hawksworth but want BR Maroon ones. John and I also have Collett BGs. All four of us have some Dapol Siphons plus I also have Lima ones. Between us we have a variety of non-BR BYs, Bogie Bs, and CCTs, too as well as BR standard parcels vans.

We should, indeed, have some trains in common. Clay empties sometimes appear at Penmayne for repair at the WR diesel depot there (which is why I have some plus two of Wadebridge's Class 08 shunters to bring them through Cant Cove) and some also appear, loaded, I think, at Trepol Bay when Fowey docks is not available. Milk tanks do travel from the "Castle Estates" dairy, near Cant Cove, usually to London or the West Midlands but could also travel to Lostwithiel creamery. I'm not sure where Martin's milk tankers from Port Perran travel to?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:40:15 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
Excellent, thanks for that. It gives me some idea of what I can use. I'll try and post pics of some possible trains tonight.

I forgot that I do have a railcar in GWR livery but its in for repair at the moment. If Dapol have some 121s or 122s for a decent price at Warley his weekend, I may get one. I'd also like a couple of the new Hawksworths.

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 08:35:38 PM »
A few more pics...

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:59:28 PM by Ensign Elliott »

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
An Auto train makes its way into Lostwithiel with a service from Plymouth.

A pannier follows with a short engineers train.

A prairie takes its train RAF parts and spitfire propellers to RAF Davidstow Moor

A Hymek takes a milk train from Lostwithiel creamery

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »
Thanks for posting those pictures.
Some excellent locos and train formations there.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 08:55:20 PM »
Many thanks. Some highly realistic photos. there of a wide variety of excellent trains and periods. I have many of those loco. types. I see you like your locos. weathered. 8-) Lady Penelope of Trevelver Castle, Cant Cove, insists that all trains go through the washing plant at Penmayne whenever possible but some do escape!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:57:02 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline bridgiesimon

• N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »
Really enjoying your work a great looking layout and seems to be developing well. I used to live in North Cornwall and do not remember any info about Spitfires there, as far as I am aware, the station was only used during the war years and occasionally due to dangerous cross winds across the field on a regular basis. If I am correct, it was used by air sea rescue squadrons as well as some anti submarine patrols with larger aircraft such as Wellingtons and Hudsons. I also think I remember something about Fortresses being stationed there at some time also but not sure off hand. Allegedly there are a couple of wrecks buried up there and a couple of explorations have been attempted to find any remains.

Anyway, not a criticism just additional info leding from one of your captions.

best wishes and carry on modelling

Simon

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 09:18:57 PM »
Thanks chaps - apologies for the poor quality of the pics. Will try and take some proper ones with a camera instead of my phone at some point.

Yes, almost all of my stock is weathered, even its just the underframes and roofs on coaches. I do like a nice dirty green diesel! All the steam locos have been detailed too, with coal, lamps, lamp irons etc...

I could probably find a couple of clean locos to send to Cant Cove for Lady P!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
Thanks chaps - apologies for the poor quality of the pics. Will try and take some proper ones with a camera instead of my phone at some point.

Yes, almost all of my stock is weathered, even its just the underframes and roofs on coaches. I do like a nice dirty green diesel! All the steam locos have been detailed too, with coal, lamps, lamp irons etc...

I could probably find a couple of clean locos to send to Cant Cove for Lady P!
That detailing on the locomotives certainly is effective. I have a couple of packs of headlamps which I should make use of on my steam locomotives.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
Really enjoying your work a great looking layout and seems to be developing well. I used to live in North Cornwall and do not remember any info about Spitfires there, as far as I am aware, the station was only used during the war years and occasionally due to dangerous cross winds across the field on a regular basis. If I am correct, it was used by air sea rescue squadrons as well as some anti submarine patrols with larger aircraft such as Wellingtons and Hudsons. I also think I remember something about Fortresses being stationed there at some time also but not sure off hand. Allegedly there are a couple of wrecks buried up there and a couple of explorations have been attempted to find any remains.

Anyway, not a criticism just additional info leding from one of your captions.

best wishes and carry on modelling

Simon

Excellent, thanks. That's really interesting to know. Maybe they could be for Bristol Blenheims then for Coastal Command...  ;)

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
I have a couple of packs of headlamps which I should make use of on my steam locomotives.

Indeed, it makes such a difference - and they never ran without them in real life. I'm afraid I'm quite picky with lamps and try not to run trains with out them, including tail lamps on brake vans and rear coaches etc.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2015, 09:43:01 PM »
I have a couple of packs of headlamps which I should make use of on my steam locomotives.

Indeed, it makes such a difference - and they never ran without them in real life. I'm afraid I'm quite picky with lamps and try not to run trains with out them, including tail lamps on brake vans and rear coaches etc.

I forgot that I do have two BR Standard and two BR WR "Toad" brake vans with tail lamps and no rear couplings that I should photograph on trains.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
Rumours are spreading that [next year] 1965 should see some very special events in the West Country in general and, especially Cornwall, featuring both diesel and steam power of great interest, from both the WR and SR, which will attract enthusiast specials from far afield.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations