!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Whitehurst Halt.  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Al.

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Whitehurst Halt.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 07:45:09 AM »
I like the track plan. Looks like its going to develop into an interesting layout. Keep us all updated with pics.  :thumbsup:

https://www.facebook.com/BridgeAtRemagen

Booked exhibitions.

Scot Model Rail, Glasgow. 21st to 23rd Feb 2020.
N Gauge SE Show, Reigate. 4th Apr 2020.
Bristol Model Rail Exhibition, Thornbury. 1st to 3rd May 2020.
The International N Gauge Show, Lemington Spa. 14th - 15th Sept 2020.

[/b]

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
I like the look of the plan too.  I think this is one for my watch list.

May I make a little suggestion.  If the point off the branch to the Wharf were moved a bit closer to the colliery (bottom of the grade), it might ease the gradient down to the wharf itself  (lowest level).. 
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Steele_Rambone

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
A little more (slow) progress has been made, finished off the elevated base for the mainline

and here is a weird panorama thing of the whole layout, not brilliant but it gives an idea of where it is going!

I am now on to working out where the branch line and my wharves and colliery will fit into the grand scheme of things.

This is the plan for the colliery, I have a lot of set track from before I knew better to use up, so as the biggest thing that will be running on these lines are 0-6-0's, I figure it will be perfect!

Greybeema, the actual run for the incline down to the wharves is a lot longer than my track plan suggests! I think it will have about 5 feet over which to drop about an inch and a half.

Now all I am waiting on is for my bulk order of mercontrol stuff to arrive, and the points I realised only today that I was missing, and I can get the mainline track laid, at which point I am led to believe all progress stops for an extended period of thorough, umm, testing, yes?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 12:34:42 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: yes.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »
Beware using insulfrogs in areas where slow running occurs as you may suffer stalling on them with small locos.
I'm thinking specifically about the colliery.

Online chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
Beware using insulfrogs in areas where slow running occurs as you may suffer stalling on them with small locos.
I'm thinking specifically about the colliery.

Yes, indeed they may but here is a thought. If you examine the black plastic frog on the setrack points you will notice that they stand a tiny bit proud of the adjacent metal track. This tends to cause the loco wheels to lift off when running over them causing stalls. If you gently file them down the problem is solved. I tried this and ran a 4-4-2T on which only the driving wheels had current collectors (so an 0-4-0 in real terms) and there was no stalling. A needle file or even very fine sandpaper wrapped around a small block of wood is all you need.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 10:38:49 AM »
Electrofrog points are no guarantee of faultless running. I bought myself a Dapol Terrier (a gorgeous little 0-6-0), but it would not cross my Peco double curved points (electrofrog) at moderate speed without stalling. If these points were not on my mainline, I could have lived with this situation, but unfortunately this was not the case so the loco had to go. Might have worked perfectly well through medium or short radius points.

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
Yeah, when I first read the post by SR, I thought immediately along the lines of NewportNobby - short wheelbase locos stalling on plastic frogs.

However, there are indeed various tweaks to get around the problem.

I have always found Peco points to require an amount of tweaking, no matter what sort they are, as Webbo has noted.

Like us, they don't get better with age, either. Getting my 30 year old points fully operational is the major bugbear of my layout restoration.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Vonk

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 02:36:15 PM »
I love the curves that panoramic picture has added to your wall. Any chance your walls will look like that when done  :P
Your track bed building is looking really good so hopefully will make track laying a bit easier for you.
My layout thread - Blackstone

Offline Steele_Rambone

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
I love the curves that panoramic picture has added to your wall. Any chance your walls will look like that when done  :P
Your track bed building is looking really good so hopefully will make track laying a bit easier for you.

the walls are ok, the floor is another matter, there's a 5 inch difference in the legs of that base just to get it level!

I hear what you are all saying about the insulfrogs, sadly its more economic reasons than anything else, Ive got loads of em, and can't really justify replacing them. If you squint closely at that 'colliery' pic, you can just about see a jinty lurking in there, which has been running happily over the setrack points on my test layout without a pause, so I am crossing my fingers and hoping it will be ok!

I am hoping at some point in the distant future to build an 0-4-0 peckett 'Hornet' (http://www.ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/steam/42-peckett-1935-1937-hornet) which actually worked the local colliery that is based on. I think getting  an 0-4-0 to run over insulfrogs might be asking too much though, so at that point, they may very well get ripped out and replaced.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here