!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Do UM locos get split gears?  (Read 262 times)

Offline Les1952

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
Do UM locos get split gears?
« on: November 14, 2018, 07:56:51 PM »
I'm currently preparing locos for Hawthorn Dene's appearance at Warley.

Having serviced the entire fleet in the running stock boxes I turned my attention to a couple that have been laid aside for some time.

Two of these are Union Mills, both with very high mileage.  One in particular is a J27 which has done 24 days running on Hawthorn Dene and before that 12 appearances in analogue LNER guise on Trevor Webster's Parnhams. 

It didn't want to run at first but once I'd stripped it down, cleaned excessive oil and reassembled it ran well.  However there was a distinct click every revolution of the tender wheels.   Loooking in my "stripped for DCC fitting" box I found another tender drive with the same gears and swapped the two driven axles from this with the two on the clicking tender. 

The click has now transferred itself to the spare tender drive and the complete loco and tender now run faultlessly.

This feels to me as if one of the two axles I swapped out has a split gear.  I have looked at them under a magnifier and can't see any damage, though the magnifier isn't exceptionally strong.  Has anyone else experienced a split gear on a Union Mills drive?

Les

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Do UM locos get split gears?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:44:05 PM »
I think if you sent it back to Colin he will sort it out for you ,he is a really nice guy and won’t charge the Earth  for the repair ,
Bob Tidbury

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
Re: Do UM locos get split gears?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
I think if you sent it back to Colin he will sort it out for you ,he is a really nice guy and won’t charge the Earth  for the repair ,
Bob Tidbury

Hello.

the only problem is that it is DCC fitted.

Les

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £315.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
105% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything