!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My first model railway build.  (Read 104714 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: My first model railway build.
« Reply #615 on: June 05, 2016, 09:02:27 AM »
Thanks for the latest updates, Marcus. Very nice photos. I used to be very fond of the Peco backscenes, having had country town and countryside ones around my original N Gauge layout over 40 years ago. The Peco ones you've chosen look fine with your layout but, these days, I prefer the photo quality ones. That said, at the back of Cant Cove, I'll probably just have Gaugemaster photo quality clear blue sky (or with light clouds) as I already have hills close to the back to hide the fiddle yard. However, I have bought some Gaugemaster photo country back scenes for possible use, too; probably on the sides if not at the back.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #616 on: June 05, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »
Thanks for the latest updates, Marcus. Very nice photos. I used to be very fond of the Peco backscenes, having had country town and countryside ones around my original N Gauge layout over 40 years ago. The Peco ones you've chosen look fine with your layout but, these days, I prefer the photo quality ones. That said, at the back of Cant Cove, I'll probably just have Gaugemaster photo quality clear blue sky (or with light clouds) as I already have hills close to the back to hide the fiddle yard. However, I have bought some Gaugemaster photo country back scenes for possible use, too; probably on the sides if not at the back.
Morning Chris. :thumbsup:  I seriously considered the photo quality back scenes, a friend of mine has these on his 00 layout. For me, I felt these looked too perfect against the style of scenery he had modelled himself, and just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the layout. It might just be me, but I think this style of back scene blends in more naturally with the overall look and feel of my layout. The level of quality on gaugemaster back scenes is excellent though, and will look the part on your build. :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #617 on: June 05, 2016, 09:48:05 AM »
Good morning, Marcus. I agree, the backscenes have to match the overall look of the layout and the Peco ones look very good with your layout. Cant Cove is meant to be a working (trains but nothing else) diorama so I'm aiming for a more 'photo realistic' overall appearance like Martin achieved with Trepol Bay harbour so, after a lot of thought (because I still like the Peco backscenes) I bought a couple of Gaugemaster ones. We'll see how far I achieve my aim, later this summer when I hope to have a lot more of the scenery complete. (I have boxes full of more than all I should need!).

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #618 on: June 05, 2016, 10:02:43 AM »
Good morning, Marcus. I agree, the backscenes have to match the overall look of the layout and the Peco ones look very good with your layout. Cant Cove is meant to be a working (trains but nothing else) diorama so I'm aiming for a more 'photo realistic' overall appearance like Martin achieved with Trepol Bay harbour so, after a lot of thought (because I still like the Peco backscenes) I bought a couple of Gaugemaster ones. We'll see how far I achieve my aim, later this summer when I hope to have a lot more of the scenery complete. (I have boxes full of more than all I should need!).
because of the skills I have learned during this build, i am considering a small shelf layout based on a real location from scratch. My aim is to see just what level of detail I could actually achieve and I defiantly think a photo realistic backdrop is a certainty in that situation. Looking forward to seeing your layout pan out, especially the station area. :claphappy:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #619 on: June 05, 2016, 10:11:53 AM »
It all boils down to personal choice, methinks. I too had Peco backscenes 30 odd years ago, but swiftly changed them  to plain blue painted backscene.

It just looked better to me.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #620 on: June 05, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »
It all boils down to personal choice, methinks. I too had Peco backscenes 30 odd years ago, but swiftly changed them  to plain blue painted backscene.

It just looked better to me.  :beers:
My effort at producing a realistic sky was, well, pants as you can see in my photo's. I did think about the Peco plain sky backdrops as a consideration though.  :hmmm:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #621 on: June 05, 2016, 10:54:04 AM »
Pants? The mind boggles. 8-)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #622 on: June 05, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »
I do think Peco backscenes blend in better with the Metcalfe models in terms of the colour palettes used. Both have a very slightly cartoony feel that works well together. My big irritation with the Peco backscenes is that don't seem to be properly in scale. Look at the people in them and compare them to your model plastic people. They're slightly bigger than the plastic people! Given they're in the background, they really ought to be smaller.

I've tried the photo backscenes from Gaugemaster and they're very nice. But the glossy paper is a pain to get flat and bubble-free, and because it's so shiny, it reflects room lighting all too well. So to my eyes it doesn't look as good as expected.

On 'Gone Nuclear' I tried hand-painting a backdrop for the first time, and was very pleased with the result. Plain blue and white poster paints onto hardboard; so nothing fancy there. I've gone down the same track with my current project, and furthermore used an airbrush to 'silhouette' some hills onto the backdrop. My aim is to create something so bland it doesn't catch the eye, but enough of a background for the actual modelled scenery to look like it's part of a much bigger world.

If you want my opinion, where you went wrong, Marcus Amison, with your backdrop was in making it too uniform. The blues become greyer or whiter towards the horizon, and line-of-sight trickery means clouds tend to look thinner/flatter towards the horizon compared with clouds of the same type straight above you. You rarely get sky coming right down to a completely flat ground outside of deserts or the sea, so your baseboard needs to blend in with some sort of hills or buildings a few inches upwards onto the backdrop.

Fantastic layout, by the way. For a "first layout" it's rather like somebody running up the Mona Lisa the first time they're given some paints and a brush!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #623 on: June 05, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
Your new Peco ones look fine..  :thumbsup:

Please don't take offence here.... I  fell into the same trap myself (well, maybe you didn't)....

When I bought my Peco backscenes all those years ago, because I'd paid for them, I thought "I'm gonna show as much of them off as I can."

That's when I realised that down to the horizon (especially in the UK), the landscape is fairly smooth and mostly sky.

In a long-winded way, I'm suggesting that your town backdrop may be cut down a bit so you only see the rooftops and church spires.

It would fool the eye into a bit of distance.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #624 on: June 05, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
I aim to mount the Gaugemaster backscenes on the boards, first, which should make it easier to ensure a smooth finish. I may the spray them with a suitable matt or satin varnish? Only then do I plan to fix them to the back and sides. But, we'll see.

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #625 on: June 05, 2016, 11:29:34 AM »
I agree with Bealman as regards the townscape backscene - though the countryside one really complements the layout as it is.

I aint much of a fan of those generic photographic jobs, they are too "loud" and can dominate what they are supposed to compliment, that is the modelled scene.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #626 on: June 05, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »
I do think Peco backscenes blend in better with the Metcalfe models in terms of the colour palettes used. Both have a very slightly cartoony feel that works well together. My big irritation with the Peco backscenes is that don't seem to be properly in scale. Look at the people in them and compare them to your model plastic people. They're slightly bigger than the plastic people! Given they're in the background, they really ought to be smaller.

I've tried the photo backscenes from Gaugemaster and they're very nice. But the glossy paper is a pain to get flat and bubble-free, and because it's so shiny, it reflects room lighting all too well. So to my eyes it doesn't look as good as expected.

On 'Gone Nuclear' I tried hand-painting a backdrop for the first time, and was very pleased with the result. Plain blue and white poster paints onto hardboard; so nothing fancy there. I've gone down the same track with my current project, and furthermore used an airbrush to 'silhouette' some hills onto the backdrop. My aim is to create something so bland it doesn't catch the eye, but enough of a background for the actual modelled scenery to look like it's part of a much bigger world.

If you want my opinion, where you went wrong, Marcus Amison, with your backdrop was in making it too uniform. The blues become greyer or whiter towards the horizon, and line-of-sight trickery means clouds tend to look thinner/flatter towards the horizon compared with clouds of the same type straight above you. You rarely get sky coming right down to a completely flat ground outside of deserts or the sea, so your baseboard needs to blend in with some sort of hills or buildings a few inches upwards onto the backdrop.

Fantastic layout, by the way. For a "first layout" it's rather like somebody running up the Mona Lisa the first time they're given some paints and a brush!

Cheers, NeMo
Hi NeMo. Your comments on the sky touching the ground was exactly what I knew was wrong about my original effort, it just didn't look right. Hated it, so it had to go. The colour palette of the Peco backdrops and my scenery do compliment one another nicely, but for the absolute realistic look, photo quality backdrops would be the way. Thx for your praise on my layout, I am happy with how it's looking, to be honest, I didn't think it would end up looking as it does and getting such praise from yourself and other members. :beers:

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #627 on: June 05, 2016, 12:23:09 PM »
Your new Peco ones look fine..  :thumbsup:

Please don't take offence here.... I  fell into the same trap myself (well, maybe you didn't)....

When I bought my Peco backscenes all those years ago, because I'd paid for them, I thought "I'm gonna show as much of them off as I can."

That's when I realised that down to the horizon (especially in the UK), the landscape is fairly smooth and mostly sky.

In a long-winded way, I'm suggesting that your town backdrop may be cut down a bit so you only see the rooftops and church spires.

It would fool the eye into a bit of distance.
I understand where your coming from regarding more sky. I'll wait and see how it develops, I can always return to this later, all part of the fun, all this tweaking. :thumbsup:

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #628 on: June 09, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »
Something not quite right here. Just can't seem to put my finger on it!

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #629 on: June 09, 2016, 06:40:12 PM »
Something not quite right here. Just can't seem to put my finger on it!

Quick, that A4 has been exposed to radiation!

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal