!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My first model railway build.  (Read 97273 times)

Offline Marcus Amison

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My first layout.
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
Sorry Marcus, I must have misunderstood. On my first layout I did use point motors for those points that were out of reach in normal use - inexperience dictating it would be OK as I wouldn't be moving the point by hand; as you can guess I had no end of trouble  :veryangry: and never made that mistake again.
I was just trying to stop you (or others) from doing the same.
I'm glad to learn that it was my mistake, and not a 'beginner's howler' from you. :thumbsup:
   :beers: no worries. If you look at my layout, all but one turnouts are literally in front of me so these I have decided to keep hand operated. I noticed that when I tried the point motor yesterday it got quite warm, I'm assuming that's the norm. I may consider fitting motors to the fiddle yard if access is awkward, I'll see how it pans out.  :thumbsup:

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »

I second this NeMo, but one tip before gluing the ballast - take a lubricant such as an oil specially made for model railways (do not use any old oil) and 'paint' the point blades and all moving parts with it first. That way the glue sticks to the ballast, and does not gum up the blades.
I did this on Peltin and had no problems.

This sounds like a very useful tip. I assume that the oil being proposed is conducting oil?

Webbo

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:05 AM »
I noticed that when I tried the point motor yesterday it got quite warm, I'm assuming that's the norm.
No, not really. What sort of point motors? Traditional point motors are simple electromagnets, and only have current flowing through them for a moment. Since current flowing through wires is what produces heat, they should only warm up across that moment the motor is operating. The rest of the time there's no current so no heat.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »

I second this NeMo, but one tip before gluing the ballast - take a lubricant such as an oil specially made for model railways (do not use any old oil) and 'paint' the point blades and all moving parts with it first. That way the glue sticks to the ballast, and does not gum up the blades.

This sounds like a very useful tip. I assume that the oil being proposed is conducting oil?

Webbo
I think the intention is that you clean the oil off after the ballasting is complete. Probably with IPA or similar.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
I have looked at your post on your forth coming layout, very nice. I read with interest how your keeping the upper and lower track separate, I have been considering this with the additional loop I have put in and keeping it solely for DC operation, haven't made my mind up yet though. One other observation, my layout currently sits in our conservatory fitted with blinds, yet even on a day like today it gets really hot. Are you not worried that the heat my effect the track? That said, it does look very impressive. I shall keep popping over to see if I can borrow some ideas...lol  :beers:

Thanks for your kind comments about 'Kimbolted', Marcus.
As for the conservatory, if I tell you I live in Lancashire does that answer your question about heat? :doh: Seriously, though, it can get fairly hot in there but judicial use of doors/windows generally vents the worst. Underfloor heating takes the edge off winter as well.
The sundeala topped baseboards and Peco code 55 track have been out there for 3 years now with no ill effects to either ( :P to the sundeala nay-sayers)

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
I noticed that when I tried the point motor yesterday it got quite warm, I'm assuming that's the norm.
No, not really. What sort of point motors? Traditional point motors are simple electromagnets, and only have current flowing through them for a moment. Since current flowing through wires is what produces heat, they should only warm up across that moment the motor is operating. The rest of the time there's no current so no heat.

Cheers, NeMo
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:16:56 PM by Marcus Amison »

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »

Cheers, NeMo
Hi. Operated point motor under normal useage today, no heat at all. To be fair I was operating point motor constantly for a few minutes just to make sure all was as should be :thumbsup:

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 08:46:38 PM »

Webbo

I'm not entirely sure which type of oil it is but it was sold by a local model shop and is guaranteed safe for use on model railway motors. I therefore took the risk that it would be safe on pointwork too and had no problems.

Re an earlier comment about replacing under baseboard fitted point motors clipped directly to the points (as recommended by Peco - at one time anyway) I did find them very fiddly to change and decided that since my new layout was, primarily, for my own enjoyment I would not bother with them.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 07:09:03 AM »
It's coming on really well, Marcus, but beware making it all track and no scenery please. Personally, I'd like to see at least a third of that track hidden but maybe you have that in mind already.
    :hellosign: layout size is approx 8x4, My shed will be 8x14 so plan is to fit width wise so it will be up against the two sides leaving me with another 10 feet of running potential. I was thinking of hiding the curves at the opposite side of layout under scenery but because his will be up against shed walls I won't have any access to track should any derailments / maintenance be required. I thought about making it so scenery could lift off to gain access but this seemed very impractical. My other option would be to fit a back drop, I know this is just my personal opinion but I've never really liked the look of backdrops as I don't want to be able to see what's behind. I solved this issue with first corners simply but cutting  a hole in the board to gain access from underneath, I cant use this method for opposite corner due to more track work.

Offline Zimonski

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 06:40:14 PM »

Webbo

I'm not entirely sure which type of oil it is but it was sold by a local model shop and is guaranteed safe for use on model railway motors. I therefore took the risk that it would be safe on pointwork too and had no problems.

Re an earlier comment about replacing under baseboard fitted point motors clipped directly to the points (as recommended by Peco - at one time anyway) I did find them very fiddly to change and decided that since my new layout was, primarily, for my own enjoyment I would not bother with them.

I found that Peco Electrolube works ok, I dip a fine paintbrush in it and apply it to the pointblade hinges and railjoiners before fitting them.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
 :hellosign: Hi everyone. Because of work I haven't really been able to do much to the layout, I'm collecting a nice supply of scenic accessories, all ready and waiting though, once the time is right.
Whilst reading and looking at other members progress on their layouts, getting inspiration for my own, I realised that I needed  a name. How did you guys come up with yours? Was it your name ? where you live? Born etc. I live on an estate called Hollycroft, so Hollycroft, or Hollycroft Junction sprung to mind. Should layouts really be named after real locations, or can it be entirely up to you?  :hmmm:

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 06:50:52 AM »

Webbo
I think the intention is that you clean the oil off after the ballasting is complete. Probably with IPA or similar.
 :beers:

Hi Webbo, I must admit I didn't clean the oil off, with no adverse effects. But it did stop the glue gumming up the blades and any ballast getting between the blades and stock rail just vacuumed up in the usual way.
I did just one, on an old Settrack point, first to see if it worked and everything was fine.
When it came to the layout proper I was doing four or five a time without any concerns.
Good luck.

Offline Zimonski

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
:hellosign: Hi everyone. Because of work I haven't really been able to do much to the layout, I'm collecting a nice supply of scenic accessories, all ready and waiting though, once the time is right.
Whilst reading and looking at other members progress on their layouts, getting inspiration for my own, I realised that I needed  a name. How did you guys come up with yours? Was it your name ? where you live? Born etc. I live on an estate called Hollycroft, so Hollycroft, or Hollycroft Junction sprung to mind. Should layouts really be named after real locations, or can it be entirely up to you?  :hmmm:

Hollycroft Junction sounds great.
If I'm ever stuck for a name I sometimes open up a map book, look away from it and randomly put my finger anywhere on the page until I hit on a name that flows. Most names seem to fit one way or another.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:49:05 AM by Zimonski »

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »
How did you guys come up with yours? Was it your name ? where you live? Born etc. I live on an estate called Hollycroft, so Hollycroft, or Hollycroft Junction sprung to mind. Should layouts really be named after real locations, or can it be entirely up to you?  :hmmm:

Mine is quite convoluted so rather than stuff the thread up with a long diatribe here's a link to the page on my website :) :-

Trackplan page

About half way down the page :thumbsup:

Paul
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:40:29 AM by Sprintex »

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »
How did you guys come up with yours? Was it your name ? where you live? Born etc. I live on an estate called Hollycroft, so Hollycroft, or Hollycroft Junction sprung to mind. Should layouts really be named after real locations, or can it be entirely up to you?  :hmmm:

Mine is quite convoluted so rather than stuff the thread up with a long diatribe here's a link to the page on my website :) :-

Trackplan page

About half way down the page :thumbsup:

Paul

I've just seen it Paul. Quite impressive, well done. Like you I believe in having a potted history to the line rather than 'just is'. Somehow it makes the layout more believable, in my opinion.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything