!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My first model railway build.  (Read 104662 times)

Offline Marcus Amison

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
My first model railway build.
« on: April 18, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
just finished laying track, quite pleased with the result. I'm just hoping that my skill level lets me do the layout justice. This is just half of what will eventually be an L shape design. The plan will be to make this part industrial with other half leaning towards a large through station and a town/ village location. Looking at other members layouts, I know this will be a huge challenge for me, if I can get mine looking half as good,I'll feel happy. Time will tell but I'm up for the task.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:28:10 AM by Marcus Amison »

Offline snail

• Awards
Re: Now comes the hard part!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:19:51 PM »
looking very good, even if it doesn't become an L shape, this looks like it will provide hours of fun!
looking forward to seeing progress on this layout.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »
Looks very smart (and tidy!!)
Keep us posted with progress, please :thumbsup:

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »
Looking rather good, you have obviously gone down the design and then build formula.  That is why after 5 years I still cannot finish of the track laying !
Looking forward to your progress reports.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »
 :no:
Looking rather good, you have obviously gone down the design and then build formula.  That is why after 5 years I still cannot finish of the track laying !
Looking forward to your progress reports.

Jerry
Thx. I wanted to be able to carry out shunting operations other than simply having a roundy roundy layout.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
Re: My first layout.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:38:07 AM »
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
just finished laying track, quite pleased with the result. I'm just hoping that my skill level lets me do the layout justice. This is just half of what will eventually be an L shape design. The plan will be to make this part industrial with other half leaning towards a large through station and a town/ village location. Looking at other members layouts, I know this will be a huge challenge for me, if I can get mine looking half as good,I'll feel happy. Time will tell but I'm up for the task.
Just a little update. I wasn't to happy with how my loco's performed over the small radius set track turnouts so I have replaced all these with medium and long radius. Wow! What a difference, no more derailments and things run so much smoother. I have made a couple of changes to the layout design ready for the second stage to be added. May try a small section of ballast to see what kind of standard I can produce, just hope it doesn't look naff!

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 01:02:52 AM »
 :hellosign: I've just ballasted a 4 inch stretch of track to see what it will eventually look like. Looks all rather white, just hope it dries clear like I've seen in other members posts. Fingers crossed, come the morning, I can smile. :hmmm:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:04:21 AM by Marcus Amison »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 02:20:39 AM »
Looks like you're off to a great start.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »
If you've used a PVA/water mix rest assured it will dry clear, Marcus.
I think you'll have a smile on your face today :)

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
Well, I've just looked at the ballasting I tried last night, got carried away and did a whole 14 inches. I'm really happy with the result. Of course I've never done it before so I have nothing to compare it against. Hope you think it looks Ok. :bounce:(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 04:14:55 PM »
If you've used a PVA/water mix rest assured it will dry clear, Marcus.
I think you'll have a smile on your face today :)
Thx. I am smiling this morning :)

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »
Looks better than my first effort, and that was this week after putting it off for 5 years...

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 12:14:57 AM »
 :wave: wasn't to sure how to tackle turnouts, reading other posts these always seemed to be difficult and precise when it came to ballasting. I'm happy with my first attempt, just another 16 to go...lol. I won't be ballasting anything else until I have decided whether to fit peco surface mount motors. When it comes to the motors would you fit on all the turnouts or just to the ones out of reach? I would be interested to know what members think on this matter. :thankyousign:(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:16:21 AM by Marcus Amison »

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 02:17:11 AM »
Good question about the motors on the turnouts Marcus

I adopted a strategy of fitting motors to turnouts to my main line and passing tracks since these are where my railway operations will be taking place. I will have a few turnouts in my industrial area, but these will be hand turned as the industrial sidings are really part of the scenery to me and will not be used for shunting operations. Likewise my fiddle yard turnouts will not have motors as this area is strictly train storage. Others would have motors on all turnouts I'm sure and this is 100% fine too.

For you, my answer would be that if you are reluctant to fit motors to all turnouts, where you do fit motors would depend on how you want to run your layout. If you use surface motors you can always add them later where you decide you need them.

Webbo

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »
I would make all the points remotely operable, to avoid spoiling the effect when a big hand enters the scene, to avoid damaging scenery and inadvertently derailing trains, and to be able to recreate some of the sense of operating as a signalman.

But I wouldn't automatically go for point motors - wire-in-tube is cheaper, less complex and for a steam era layout more authentic. For yards where the points would be operated from hand levers, the tubes could just be brought to the edge of the baseboard locally and a row of simple levers fitted.

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal