!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1  (Read 58771 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 47xx
« Reply #585 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:02 AM »
Thanks for photos portraying a beautiful loco

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #586 on: August 09, 2019, 09:56:33 PM »
After multiple coats and several errors, and rough areas that needed correcting and sanding back, the V1 is now looking acceptable. The gloss really highlights non-smooth areas, but hopefully this will all look much smoother when cut back with matt.

The chassis has had wheels and exposed areas painted black. Need to change the front bogie as I have a black one spare, so this saves painting it.

Next, lining.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #587 on: August 09, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »
Looks beautiful al. Must be pleased with the result of your efforts

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1
« Reply #588 on: August 10, 2019, 05:34:06 PM »
A good 2 hours over 2 days has seen the decalling, lining, numbers done.

Done as Scottish loco 67664, not because of that, but because I used to have the Bachmann OO model of the same loco!

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #589 on: August 10, 2019, 09:22:22 PM »
Can't wait for the varnished pictures - looks great!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #590 on: August 11, 2019, 12:22:20 AM »
Excellent work as always Alan.

I am very fortunate to have a V3 which my good friend Stevie DC completed as a one-off for me. It is in a beautifully captured weathered condition, not unloved, but hard worked and I consider myself very lucky to have it.

Not sure if I have already mentioned, but you may be interested to know that I bought some spare N Class wheelsets from Bachmann and was able to dispense with the tyred wheelset and pony pickup. I only expected the loco to manage the four coaches I required it to in this incarnation, but much to the amazement of Steve and myself, it was up to eleven coaches without a trace of a slip through R2 curves, it may have managed more but we both decided that this was more than adequate for a suburban tank loco!

Steve's 3D prints are in my view in a league of their own, they are carefully researched and he would never make anything available until test built himself and absolutely satisfied. I think it is a shame he couldn't find more of a market for them, but maybe in these days of instant gratification making things from kits etc is indeed a dying art.

Roy

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #591 on: August 11, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
Excellent work!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #592 on: August 11, 2019, 07:45:58 PM »
Not sure if I have already mentioned, but you may be interested to know that I bought some spare N Class wheelsets from Bachmann and was able to dispense with the tyred wheelset and pony pickup. I only expected the loco to manage the four coaches I required it to in this incarnation, but much to the amazement of Steve and myself, it was up to eleven coaches without a trace of a slip through R2 curves, it may have managed more but we both decided that this was more than adequate for a suburban tank loco!

That's very similar to what I did with the Atso L1 tank - albeit I was lucky there to be able to obtain a set of Farish Ivatt drivers from someone converting to 2mmFS, to allow removal of the tyred set.

For the V1/V3, I've been happy with the performance with the rear bogie pickups and original tyre setup. However, this is without extensive running, and I also added a fair amount of lead in side tanks and smokebox. When they get more running I'll see if a rear wheel conversion is warranted.

Steve's 3D prints are in my view in a league of their own, they are carefully researched and he would never make anything available until test built himself and absolutely satisfied. I think it is a shame he couldn't find more of a market for them, but maybe in these days of instant gratification making things from kits etc is indeed a dying art.

I'd largely agree. They are very carefully designed, detailed very well and show the experience in the medium that other 3D prints don't. I've made some minor mods to them (e.g. making sure the V1/V3 sit a low as possible, which did instigate a clash between the rear driver flanges and the cab floor), but on the whole they are actually what I could term "fast builds" because they can be done with such ease compared rough whitemetal kits or suchlike. I think there is a market for them frankly, but perhaps not one to sustain a full salary (but still a useful side income) - but I think to build this kind of brand you need demo models, folks on side doing test builds that then can be featured in the press, online, NGS mag etc, and most importantly a lot of advertising - i.e. you need to spend money to make money, and I think that's where it never went.

I still think he should release any models he has in CAD, even if imperfect - the LMS Fowler 0-4-4T, the NE Atlantics, D49 (even though I was lucky to obtain these direct), and even the GW county - these are all ones I'd buy. As it is, I've essentially done most of what is out there now, so there's sadly little incentive to buy any more.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #593 on: August 13, 2019, 08:58:34 PM »
While waiting for the V1 varnish to dry (!) a small detail has been done that I never did on the first build - namely adding some cylinder drains.

These were made from 0.7mm brass tube with 0.4mm handrail wire inserted, soldered and bent over to give the drain pipe. These fit into the existing rear holes on the cylinders for fitting the N class ones, but new holes were drilled for the front ones in an appropriate location.

This is a retro-fit I'll need to implement on the V3.

All going well, the next post should be the cosmetically complete loco!

Cheers,
Alan

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #594 on: August 13, 2019, 09:35:47 PM »
superb detailling i must admit on the cylinder trains,pistons, rods, valve gears - beautiful to see the work which you have considerably put in

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #595 on: August 14, 2019, 12:43:30 AM »
The good thing with warm weather is that varnish dries.... fast!

Overall, the most recent lining decal sheets from Fox have been particularly good, and comparing this with the previous build, they are considerably better.

I also added RA numbers from an ancient Modelmaster sheet (which I hope the NGS find some stocks of), which has sat down well.

Now the remaining work is more mechanical - tidy up internal wiring, add various lead weights and the rear coupling, though also need to matt varnish the cylinders, add the whistle, coal, paint and fit the cab floor.

It is interesting building the same model several years apart. Looking back at the previous build, I see a lot that could be better on it. Some will happen, like the cylinder drains, but it's amazing how one's demand for improvement in standard can change over even a relatively short time - this model had a number of imperfections that I worked to really get out. Looking at the older model, which I also worked hard on, some of those imperfections are there, staring me in the face - the missing RA number on it being one (I had the decal sheet back then, but just completely omitted to add it  :doh: )!

Cheers,
Alan

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #596 on: August 14, 2019, 06:25:37 AM »
Still looking stunning even after varnishing, finishing

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #597 on: August 14, 2019, 11:11:47 AM »
superb work as always, well done Alan

Regards,

Alex

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #598 on: August 14, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »
superb work as always, well done Alan

Regards,

Alex

Seconded. Absolutely stunning.   :thumbsup:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #599 on: August 14, 2019, 04:09:36 PM »
Once again I am awestricken. Super job, Alan

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00