!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 68608 times)

SouthernJohn, Dr Al and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 47xx
« Reply #510 on: July 10, 2019, 08:07:37 AM »
which range of paint are you using please ? thank you

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #511 on: July 10, 2019, 09:05:22 AM »
which range of paint are you using please ? thank you

Not got to paint on this model yet! But when I do it'll be various from Phoenix Precision and Humbrol, all enamels.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #512 on: July 10, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »
Thank you

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #513 on: July 10, 2019, 09:11:18 AM »
Excellent work Alan, I can't wait to see this one with some paint slapped on it!  8)

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #514 on: July 10, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »
Excellent work Alan, I can't wait to see this one with some paint slapped on it!  8)

I'll try and avoid 'slapping'....lol....that's what it had originally!

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #515 on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:20 AM »
I'll try and avoid 'slapping'....lol....that's what it had originally!

You know what I mean!  :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #516 on: July 10, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »

I also added front handrails to the tender. This does make me feel that I might have to remove the cab rails and replace to match - thoughts?

Far be it for me to comment on your modelling, Alan, but you did ask.
The difference in hand rail thicknesses twixt tender and loco does stand out in those cruel close ups but those on the cab match those elsewhere on the loco. Sorry, but I just don't know what to suggest is the best option.

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #517 on: July 10, 2019, 02:52:17 PM »

I also added front handrails to the tender. This does make me feel that I might have to remove the cab rails and replace to match - thoughts?

Far be it for me to comment on your modelling, Alan, but you did ask.
The difference in hand rail thicknesses twixt tender and loco does stand out in those cruel close ups but those on the cab match those elsewhere on the loco. Sorry, but I just don't know what to suggest is the best option.

An extra coat or two of paint on the new tender handrails to bulk them up a little?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #518 on: July 10, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »
Interesting to hear viewpoints on the handrails, and perhaps predictably, folks have noticed something completely different to me!

I was more concerned with the lack of separation of the vertical cab handrail from the cabside and the lack of handrail knob at the top, rather than the rail diameter.

I think changing the rail diameter is not necessary if I reuse the nickel wire currently used.

Still undecided as to whether to change it.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #519 on: July 10, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »
I don't think that the difference in handrail diameter will be all that noticeable once you've painted the model. I've done some mixing repair jobs in the past and nobody has pointed out the differences on the finished models so far.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #520 on: July 10, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »

I was more concerned with the lack of separation of the vertical cab handrail from the cabside and the lack of handrail knob at the top, rather than the rail diameter.

Can't say as I'd noticed that so maybe the opticians beckons me 8) :-[

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #521 on: July 10, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
Not meant as a criticism Alan, but neither the tender or loco cab handrails terminate in a handrail knob. as shown below, the cab side handrail is welded to the cab side cut out beading whether Collett or Churchward.

the tender handrail is welded to a piece of flat steel that twists through 90 degrees and is bolted to the tender side with 2 round head bolts - you can just see one of them to the left of the fireman's hand. I know this because I had a hand in restoring 5051 Drysllwyn Castle, and in this picture, I am on the right (I was the driver that day and was teaching the guy in the middle to drive) hope this helps

Regards,

Alex 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:17:51 PM by Hailstone »

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #522 on: July 10, 2019, 10:47:31 PM »
Not meant as a criticism Alan, but neither the tender or loco cab handrails terminate in a handrail knob. as shown below, the cab side handrail is welded to the cab side cut out beading whether Collett or Churchward.

This is a fair comment, but for this model there's a level of pragmatism that has to be applied - replicating that (particularly on the plastic tender that isn't a perfect representation anyway) in N is just not worth trying given the size...

...the handrail knobs themselves are only 0.45mm diameter! I've done something similar in the past, but that was soldered to a metal tender and was slightly larger. I think doing that on this would just end up far too fragile for handling.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #523 on: July 10, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »
The refurb is almost complete - I think pretty much all parts have now been added.

I've added the front lamp iron on smokebox door, a small piece of pipework on the cab front, and the tender brake standards (LNER ones, but they're close enough for me).

Primer beckons.

Cheers,
Alan

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #524 on: July 10, 2019, 11:14:06 PM »
Must be pleased alan. Looking good

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP