!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Fowler 2-6-4T  (Read 59375 times)

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - B12/3
« Reply #435 on: February 20, 2019, 06:38:07 PM »
Paging Dr Al!

i just recieved the old graham farish large prairie tank, which im going to get a new body for, get glossed etc...

any thoughts on how to upgrade the wheel sets and what to? not sure what would look best!

cheers

Paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: February 20, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »
Paging Dr Al!

i just recieved the old graham farish large prairie tank, which im going to get a new body for, get glossed etc...

any thoughts on how to upgrade the wheel sets and what to? not sure what would look best!

I wouldn't upgrade a silver wheeled model, I'd just obtain a Bachmann version with blackened RP25 wheels and stick with those.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: February 20, 2019, 06:45:25 PM »
Paging Dr Al!

I wouldn't upgrade a silver wheeled model, I'd just obtain a Bachmann version with blackened RP25 wheels and stick with those.

Cheers,
Alan

unfortunatly there isnt a new version from iv seen! theres the small prairie by dapol but large prairie no :(

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #438 on: February 20, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
[unfortunatly there isnt a new version from iv seen! theres the small prairie by dapol but large prairie no :(

New, as in Bachmann production of the Poole design:

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2019, 06:50:46 PM »
[unfortunatly there isnt a new version from iv seen! theres the small prairie by dapol but large prairie no :(

New, as in Bachmann production of the Poole design:

Cheers,
Alan

ohhh! didnt realise they did that! dayum gonna have to look for that one then!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #440 on: February 20, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
A few more steps made - the B12 tender has advanced considerably. Painted, and now decalled out to match prototype pictures.

Now that will remain until the loco catches up before final finishing and coating is done so all match.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:25 PM »
A few more steps made - the B12 tender has advanced considerably. Painted, and now decalled out to match prototype pictures.

Now that will remain until the loco catches up before final finishing and coating is done so all match.

Cheers,
Alan

Its looking brilliant :)

One quick question, how easy is it to shorten the wire between the tender and loco on a Union Mills loco?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #442 on: February 20, 2019, 11:05:41 PM »
One quick question, how easy is it to shorten the wire between the tender and loco on a Union Mills loco?

Pretty trivial - just unscrew it on loco, cut it down and re-insert. I tend to tin it with solder for longevity as well.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #443 on: February 20, 2019, 11:07:24 PM »

Pretty trivial - just unscrew it on loco, cut it down and re-insert. I tend to tin it with solder for longevity as well.

Cheers,
Alan

Brilliant thanks for the quick reply, I have a 3F heading my way which I hope is delivered tomorrow when the DO is out.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #444 on: February 20, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »

Cheers,
Alan

Brilliant thanks for the quick reply, I have a 3F heading my way which I hope is delivered tomorrow when the DO is out.

Most wonderful, Paul and congratulations!  The Union Mills '3F' is a little beauty.  LMS livery I trust (or S&D)?  A MR one would be nice, though...

Alan, the 'B12/3' is looking splendid.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #445 on: February 21, 2019, 07:27:15 PM »
Look forward to seeing the B12 completed - that tender is gorgeous!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #446 on: March 05, 2019, 09:46:14 PM »
After a little bit of down time and other goings on, the B12 has been pushed towards completion.

After first primer coat, some cleaning up has been done followed by the final detailing. This comprised mainly adding of various thin pipes at the front end, as well as replacement of the Westinghouse pump with a separate and appropriate details.

The body is now done - there are a few pipes left off, specifically those running along the footplate - it's just not amenable to get these on as the footplate lip is smaller than the real thing, so any pipework would protrude too much.

Next will be final once over and clean up, final primer coat followed by black.

Cheers,
Alan

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #447 on: March 06, 2019, 10:19:02 AM »
It's looking really good Al. I updated mine probably over 10 years ago using a BHE GER tender body and a modified continental tender drive. I may have to revisit it.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #448 on: March 06, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »
Alan, the 'B12/3' just gets better and better!

Many thanks for these inspirational posts.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #449 on: March 08, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
You can have it in any colour you like, so long as it's (BR) black....

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations