!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - B12/3  (Read 53620 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Patriot
« Reply #390 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
Managed to do more on the tender and cab - tender now mostly complete - rails added, and chassis added including jacking it up about 1mm to get the ride height better. Not sure why these BHE tenders ride so low.

Next will be lamp irons at front end, coupling hooks, vac pipes, modifying the front bogie to remove the stoneguards and fitting them to body instead, and a couple of minor details to the tender.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: January 09, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »
It's looking like another stunner is soon to emerge but, and I hate to ask this, is there meant to be a small gap at the right of the centre splasher?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #392 on: January 09, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »
It's looking like another stunner is soon to emerge but, and I hate to ask this, is there meant to be a small gap at the right of the centre splasher?

Yes, well spotted. This is a fix that needs done - reseating the boiler to correct position left a gap there. I'll either solder-fill it, or overlay some thin brass.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #393 on: January 12, 2019, 02:50:15 PM »
Continuing clicking off projects that were unfinished, here is a fast one, and one that's a perfect example of a starter project for those wanting to try more than just RTR out the box.

It's the simplest renumbering/identity change there is. The back story is that this was meant to have been renumbered 2 years ago to "Spitfire". Order placed with Modelmaster, and plates never ever received. Appauling service.

By contrast I finally gave up, and ordered plates from Fox Transfers, whose range is rapidly expanding. What a wonderful contrast - excellent product, excellent efficient polite service. So glad the NGS had dumped Modelmaster.

The exercise was to rename a Farish new tool Castle. This is a perfect starter task, as you need not remove anything from the loco - no removal of old numbers of names. It's simply a case of cutting the new numberplates and names from the etch and gluing them on top of the existing numbers - these give the guide of placement too. A finishing touch is to put decals over the front numberplate to renumber it - Fox also do these, but a starter could simply overpaint the original numbers if decalling is a challenge.

Fox didn't have Spitfire, so instead, this is now 7007 "Great Western". This also comes with a GW crest decal for the middle splasher.

A nice starter 1 hour project - and you'll be left with a unique model.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: January 12, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
Nice Job sir!!

I cannot rate Fox highly enough. Local company to me but usually in my letterbox within 48hrs. Stock levels are immense and the n gauge range has grown rapidly in the last few years.

Currently renumbering our Bulleids, presumably the farish numbers are the wrong size, Fox by comparison look fantastic

Usual brilliant work Alan  :claphappy:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #395 on: January 12, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
I cannot rate Fox highly enough. Local company to me but usually in my letterbox within 48hrs. Stock levels are immense and the n gauge range has grown rapidly in the last few years.

Agreed. Even when issues occur, they sort them out swiftly and efficiently, and politely (I recall they once sent in incorrect sheet and a 14mL tin of paint rather than the 50ml I'd ordered - it was a case of no problem - keep the things we sent and we'll send out the correct ones in addition - that's customer service).

Currently renumbering our Bulleids, presumably the farish numbers are the wrong size, Fox by comparison look fantastic

Older Farish yes - Bachmann ones should be correct though. It's why I always remove all the numbers, not just individual digits, as factory and decals never ever match making the renumber stand out.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #396 on: January 13, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
Tender now completed on the Patriot. Final details fitted - with the high fire iron rails and the rear vacuum pipe. This will be off for primer soon.

At the front end new stoneguards fitted and the equivalents have been removed from the bogie. I've also moved the bogie back by ~1/2mm by adjusting the drawbar holes - it now sits in correct location and a bonus it now clears the front steps better.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #397 on: January 20, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »
More progress on a variety of things.

First is Patriot. Tender has been cleaned and primer coated. A few minor clean ups, but this is done and will now await the loco to catch up to the same level.

While on tenders, the Ivatt 4 conversion has had a lot of progress on its tender. When you start studying this loco, you realise that there is a lot that is different between its tender and that of the later Standard 4. Much of this has now been tackled including the footplate around the tender base, the cab floor, handrails and cab roof, and the rear handrails. I ripped out the DCC gubbins which to retain would have needed a clumsy high coal load to cover. A new bunker base in plasticard replaced this.

Next is a backdate of a Dapol class 86 - this was promised by Dapol to come eventually, but yeah....like that's going to happen. This cheap Freightliner model has had all the modern parts removed including the roof cylinders, front end jumper cables, high intensity light, headcode marker lights. The big task was to remove the flexicoil suspension without too much collateral damage to the bogies - this was a lot of careful cutting and scraping with sharp blades. This loco will be painted in the original as-new livery of electric blue. The necessary original triangular suspension parts on the bogies will be harvested from old Lima class 86 bogie frames.

This won't be a perfect representation, but better than any other option, including Dapol's forthcoming electric blue version, as that will be a modern loco representation.

Finally is a Chivers CCT - nothing fancy here, just a standard build of a nicely moulded plastic kit.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline 5944

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9265
    • Twitter
    • My Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: January 24, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »
Looking good Al. Beware with the 86 though - they were never electric blue when new. Certainly not the bright blue of the earlier AC electrics.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: January 24, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »
More progress on a variety of things.

First is Patriot. Tender has been cleaned and primer coated. A few minor clean ups, but this is done and will now await the loco to catch up to the same level.

While on tenders, the Ivatt 4 conversion has had a lot of progress on its tender. When you start studying this loco, you realise that there is a lot that is different between its tender and that of the later Standard 4. Much of this has now been tackled including the footplate around the tender base, the cab floor, handrails and cab roof, and the rear handrails. I ripped out the DCC gubbins which to retain would have needed a clumsy high coal load to cover. A new bunker base in plasticard replaced this.

Next is a backdate of a Dapol class 86 - this was promised by Dapol to come eventually, but yeah....like that's going to happen. This cheap Freightliner model has had all the modern parts removed including the roof cylinders, front end jumper cables, high intensity light, headcode marker lights. The big task was to remove the flexicoil suspension without too much collateral damage to the bogies - this was a lot of careful cutting and scraping with sharp blades. This loco will be painted in the original as-new livery of electric blue. The necessary original triangular suspension parts on the bogies will be harvested from old Lima class 86 bogie frames.

This won't be a perfect representation, but better than any other option, including Dapol's forthcoming electric blue version, as that will be a modern loco representation.

Finally is a Chivers CCT - nothing fancy here, just a standard build of a nicely moulded plastic kit.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan very nice, I always appreciate your builds. 

On the cutting of the springs try using a 2mm dentists ball shaped cutter burr as a knife.   Scalpels or similar knife cuts leave surface cuts that can propagate to splits in polythene type plastics with time, the burr is an abrasive cut and does not give this problem.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #400 on: January 24, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »
Looking good Al. Beware with the 86 though - they were never electric blue when new. Certainly not the bright blue of the earlier AC electrics.

I'm not actually clear on what's right for this. Looking at prototype photos some look like they did all get painted the same in the very early days (pre-yellow panels), e.g.:

https://flic.kr/p/VUUiEn

But more research needed. Fortunately the blue will be the last colour going down, so a bit of time to get it right.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #401 on: January 24, 2019, 07:37:14 PM »
Alan very nice, I always appreciate your builds. 

On the cutting of the springs try using a 2mm dentists ball shaped cutter burr as a knife.   Scalpels or similar knife cuts leave surface cuts that can propagate to splits in polythene type plastics with time, the burr is an abrasive cut and does not give this problem.

Thanks.

In terms of the flexicoils, that's interesting and I'll have a play on some scrap, but maybe you missed that they'd already gone one mine! I carved it all off, slow and steady with the scalpel. It won't be a perfect representation as some of the smaller parts of the more modern additions can't be easily removed, but getting the triangular central metal bar on is the key characteristic piece that now needs added.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #402 on: January 26, 2019, 12:08:43 AM »
Class 86 now been given a first dusting of primer to start identifying the areas that need cleaning up - quite a lot! Also fitted the correct round Oleo buffers.

The bogies, now minus the main central 'flexicoil' suspension:

A big step forward made on the Ivatt 4 with a start made on one of the main missing parts - the pipework run on the left side of the loco. Also the LMS top feed was put on (cut from a scrap Minitrix Ivatt 2 body). The pipe run was worked from scrap etch offcuts and wire. The ends of the wire runs need sorted out now, but the part I thought would be harder is now done.

Cheers,
Alan

Online w greatbatch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #403 on: January 27, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »
Will look the buisness when the wire is 'plumbed in',what did you use,fuse wire ?                                                        Bill

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #404 on: January 28, 2019, 12:22:18 AM »
Final detail fitted to the Ivatt 4 tender - much microstrip. This will next be heading for primer.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything