!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Fowler 2-6-4T  (Read 59259 times)

dingleyhythe and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline R Marshall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 4MT
« Reply #300 on: March 21, 2018, 09:53:22 PM »
Fig. 112 in RCTS Part 2A is not definitive, but the tender axleboxes and the boxes on the Cartazzi truck all look to be darker than the frames, which seem the same colour as the valances.

Thanks - that's more useful evidence. I need to look out some of the colour films of them in original livery to see if that helps confirm.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan,

Colour Rail have a shot of 2509 - I've looked at the preview, but it's not big enough to judge the colours properly. The same shot is in "The Colour of Steam Volume 4 - The LNER Pacifics", but it's just not possible to say what colour the axleboxes are in - they're certainly dark. I doubt you can be more than a smidgeon out if you finish them in black.

Hopefully you've got better colour sources.

Regards,

Roy

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
Fig. 112 in RCTS Part 2A is not definitive, but the tender axleboxes and the boxes on the Cartazzi truck all look to be darker than the frames, which seem the same colour as the valances.

Thanks - that's more useful evidence. I need to look out some of the colour films of them in original livery to see if that helps confirm.

Cheers,
Alan

Apologies for the delay in replying to this - I have been away from home and unable to look up any references.

There is, on page 161 of Haresnape, B., Railway Liveries 1923-1947, 1989, Ian Allan Ltd, Shepperton, ISBN 0 7110 1829 4 a super photograph of No. 2509 Silver Link in what looks ex-works condition.  Certainly she has not received the later modification to the locomotive buffer beam and lacks the side curves to the grey on the nose.

In this photograph, the tender and Cartazzi truck axleboxes appear to be gloss black.  It certainly looks very different to the mid-grey colour of the valances and to the charcoal grey of the wedge-shaped nose.  Interestingly, the framing in front of the Cartazzi truck appears lighter than the valances and the same as the silver-grey of the main livery colour.  Unfortunately, none of the colour pictures that I have found thus far is clear enough to show the axlebox colours.  They kind of vanish in a blurry shadow!

If you are unable to easily find a copy of the book please let me know, Alan, and I'll gladly post it to you so that you can see this photograph for yourself.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »
Many thanks for those who've taken time to look up reference material regarding the early A4 livery.

Apologies for the delay in replying to this - I have been away from home and unable to look up any references.

There is, on page 161 of Haresnape, B., Railway Liveries 1923-1947, 1989, Ian Allan Ltd, Shepperton, ISBN 0 7110 1829 4 a super photograph of No. 2509 Silver Link in what looks ex-works condition.  Certainly she has not received the later modification to the locomotive buffer beam and lacks the side curves to the grey on the nose.

If you are unable to easily find a copy of the book please let me know, Alan, and I'll gladly post it to you so that you can see this photograph for yourself.

Many thanks - if you have the ability to email me a snapshot of this page, it'd be very interesting to see. Does sound like I need to be busting out the fine brushes and attacking the axleboxes with black paint.

Thanks,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
Thank you, Alan.  I'll try, but will probably set the art and science of photography back a century-and-a-half in the process!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #304 on: March 23, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »
Loco lining on the 4MT is progressing, with the hardest parts now done.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #305 on: March 25, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »
Lining and decalling now complete - closing in on the end here - next a flat coat, then final finishing and weathering.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2018, 10:21:41 PM »
What a splendid locomotive.  :greatwork:

@newportnobby must be jolly chuffed with it!  :wave:

John

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »
Words good enough to describe this???

I know of nothing that comes close to describe workmanship turning donkeys year old white metal castings into stuff that rivals new 3D printing techniques.

Truly magnificent Alan

:claphappy: :claphappy:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #308 on: March 26, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »
Loco now complete apart from a couple of very minor adjustments, weathering (it's now on a part weathered chassis, which will be toned down and body weathering done, all matching) and coal.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #309 on: March 26, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »
Refer to my previous post

:beers:

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
Loco now complete apart from a couple of very minor adjustments, weathering (it's now on a part weathered chassis, which will be toned down and body weathering done, all matching) and coal.

Cheers,
Alan

Awesome, lovely job Al.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2018, 12:10:15 AM »
The final major work has been completed on the 4MT.

Only needs a chassis clean and run, and coaling now, and a portrait with its two classmates before heading for its new home.

I also weathered an 08 and a renumbered new class 40 at the same time, as I try to do multiple models at the same time when the paint is out, otherwise wastage gets large!

I'm inclined to sell these two, as I'll need funds to afford to populate my upcoming NGS carflats - Oxford cars are reasonably cheap, but not when you're likely to need 50+ of them. Anyone interested in these, give me a shout.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:33:00 AM by Dr Al »

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2018, 12:27:37 AM »
Hugely impressive as usual Alan

Regards,

Alex

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2018, 08:09:07 AM »
75013 looks totally convincing.

Cumberland/Westmorland/Lancashire - 1967ish.

British 'N' gauge modelling at its best.

I wish you the joy of it, Mick.

Best wishes.

John

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
75013 looks totally convincing.

Cumberland/Westmorland/Lancashire - 1967ish.

British 'N' gauge modelling at its best.

I wish you the joy of it, Mick.

Best wishes.

John

For a brief time in the early 60s 75013 was allocated to shed 1E Bletchley and so, of course, would have made it over to Oxfordshire via the 'Varsity Line', John ;)
http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=746001&type=S&page=alloc

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations