!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Fowler 2-6-4T  (Read 59382 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 4MT
« Reply #285 on: March 06, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »
Looking good Alan!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2018, 09:35:30 PM »
Loco is now pretty much complete, and once okayed, it's ready to head to primer.

In the mean time the next task is the tender

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #287 on: March 10, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »
Loco now in primer, with light cleaning up of some minor imperfections this showed up, but pretty tidy otherwise (a credit to the Langley castings whose moulds must be fairly elderly by now):

Tender has has details fitted, coal space cut out and new coal space base fitted. Needs a clean over, but heading the right way.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: March 10, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »
Am I starting to get excited yet? You bet your arbottom dollar :heart2:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2018, 09:27:52 PM »
Loco body is now complete, tender is close (needs a clean up).

Loco and tender connected with correct length drawbar and tested on R2 curve. There is still some additional clearance, so will easily do R1 also.

I expect the front bogie to arrive before the end of the week, so all coming together now.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #290 on: March 18, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
After a delivery from Nick Tilson at N Brass, I've completed the loco with its correct scale front bogie.

This is materially complete now - paint is next.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2018, 11:29:57 PM »
An aside project I've been playing with recently is a Dapol valanced A4. I'd often wondered whether it would be possible to fit eccentric rods (omitted by Dapol) to this for added realism.

After coming across a cheap example, I've pottered with it. It turns out that it's relatively easy to add the rods, and it's striking that this omission seems like a rather 'design lazy' approach by Dapol - a little shrewd design could easily have incorporated them. I needed only to restrict the lateral movement of the central wheels, and fabricate an attachment from scrap brass to some spare Dapol eccentric rods using the existing chassis screws on the sides of the chassis. A little slimming of the valve gear washers and removal of a thin amount of the backside of the valances in that area was all that was needed.

I still need to gunmetal all the paintwork to match the valve gear all up, but you get the idea:

Dapol also seem to have simply re-used the later version models tender - understandable, but technically incorrect for the original streamlined style of the back off the tender. I've added this in plasticard. Needs another coat of paint and matt coating to match the rest of the loco, but this is closer to how they should be.

Other details still to add are front stoneguards, cylinder draincock pipes and painting black of the axleboxes (which I think should be black, but no photo seems definitive).

Overall these models look good, but the valve gear is very lazy by Dapol, and really could have been easily done - they'd likely need one or two extra tooled parts only.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:10:15 AM by Dr Al »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2018, 07:39:58 AM »
Silver Fox looks wonderful with your clever additions.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »
Great to see your modelling skills and improvisation, on many projects.
I find myself increasingly making do and modifying these days, as much is becoming out of my financial reach and more to the point willingness to pay. I'm getting back to some real modelling and it's heartening to see your work Dr Al.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:09:55 AM by trkilliman »

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2018, 09:22:41 AM »
Superb modelling Alan.   :thumbsup:

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2018, 08:19:41 PM »
Fig. 112 in RCTS Part 2A is not definitive, but the tender axleboxes and the boxes on the Cartazzi truck all look to be darker than the frames, which seem the same colour as the valances.

Yours is much improved!

Regards,

Roy

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2018, 10:39:29 PM »
You can make it in any colour you like, so long as it's black, said nobby.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2018, 10:40:47 PM »
Fig. 112 in RCTS Part 2A is not definitive, but the tender axleboxes and the boxes on the Cartazzi truck all look to be darker than the frames, which seem the same colour as the valances.

Thanks - that's more useful evidence. I need to look out some of the colour films of them in original livery to see if that helps confirm.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »
Lining started, tender first.

Cheers,
Alan

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »
Absolutely amazing Alan.

Mick your going to get an amazing loco!!

:claphappy:  :claphappy:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations