!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 67989 times)

johnk, Snowwolflair, Bulliedman and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline joe cassidy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Something Stanier
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »
Al, you are up there with Mr. Gareth Collier.

If I was as good as you guys I would be tempted to go professional ?

You could work as a partnership given your complementary regional/historical preferences.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
Al, you are up there with Mr. Gareth Collier.

If I was as good as you guys I would be tempted to go professional ?

You could work as a partnership given your complementary regional/historical preferences.

I doubt one could make a salary out of this kind of thing!

Plus, finding source components on a larger scale would be difficult - that model used parts from an old Black 5, a Crab, a Bachfar 4MT - nobody'd pay to buy all those locos (£150 ish before you even do anything) to do a conversion I don't think!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2017, 07:32:35 PM »
For your raw materials you could club together with Ozymandias and Paul Price. They seem to have access to an unending stream of old locos, kits, bits & bobs etc.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »
Just to add to what others have said Alan, the Stanier Mogul is an absolutely top job, it looks superb.

Regards

Roy

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »
For your raw materials you could club together with Ozymandias and Paul Price. They seem to have access to an unending stream of old locos, kits, bits & bobs etc.

Best regards,

Joe
I don't I only have 6 trains, honest................The Domestic Overlord may read this  :help:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2017, 01:02:31 AM »

I've been in N 20 years now, and even I struggle to pull together enough parts to do some of these models despite accumulating a vast amount in that time. So getting parts is patchy at best - who would pay £150+ or so for the component parts, and then add the labour to build such a thing (considerable - 20 hrs+ perhaps?)? Not many I think!

There's a lot on this kind of thing on Tony Wright's RMWeb thread - discussing the value attributed to kitbuilt locos, the cost of pro-builds and the likes. Most OO gauge builds of standard kits plus pro-paint is thick end of in the region of £500 each in his estimation. One can easily then estimate quite how many you'd need to do to make a living in a very very small marketplace (a marketplace that must be a very low percentage of the actual N Gauge market, that itself not being large).

It'd risk becoming a chore rather than an enjoyment to build 10 Stanier Moguls or whatever, with the pressure of knowing your bills depended on it, and their unique "I did that" factor would also be rather diluted.

But I thank you for the compliment!

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2017, 01:30:13 AM »

I've been in N 20 years now, and even I struggle to pull together enough parts to do some of these models despite accumulating a vast amount in that time. So getting parts is patchy at best - who would pay £150+ or so for the component parts, and then add the labour to build such a thing (considerable - 20 hrs+ perhaps?)? Not many I think!

There's a lot on this kind of thing on Tony Wright's RMWeb thread - discussing the value attributed to kitbuilt locos, the cost of pro-builds and the likes. Most OO gauge builds of standard kits plus pro-paint is thick end of in the region of £500 each in his estimation. One can easily then estimate quite how many you'd need to do to make a living in a very very small marketplace (a marketplace that must be a very low percentage of the actual N Gauge market, that itself not being large).

It'd risk becoming a chore rather than an enjoyment to build 10 Stanier Moguls or whatever, with the pressure of knowing your bills depended on it, and their unique "I did that" factor would also be rather diluted.

Cheers,
Alan

I learned this when I built my 28xx when I got impatient waiting for Dapol to produce their 38xx and found that the cost of the components alone was over £120 without the cost of time to build and paint even to a basic standard, never mind weathering! I think that we are spoiled with the amount of ready to run stock that we now have access to compared to even 10 years ago

Regards,

Alex

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: May 19, 2017, 02:09:09 AM »
Quite so. RTR does not seem so expensive once you cost out the alternatives.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: May 19, 2017, 09:06:12 AM »

Cheers,
Alan

I agree with Dr Al

I have been asked to make a number of models for people, the latest was an Ivatt 4 2-6-0, after a chap had seen mine running at an exhibition. When I went through the details of how I built mine, how I considered on the cheap (ended up modifying to RTR crab chassis to get one sweet runner, though its decided to play up a little), the components alone topped £100.

The chap then said if it was that expensive why did I do it, my explanation was that partly I must be mad, but I have amassed a few buts and bobs over the years that could be cobbled together to make a model. The problem is as the builder we accept a few less than accurate compromises but paying customers would not do this???

Even though I sometime baulk at the cost of RTR stock, it is in my opinion really good value for money, its just a pity that as modellers we always seem to want stock that's not available, well at least I do.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #249 on: May 19, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
The chap then said if it was that expensive why did I do it, my explanation was that partly I must be mad, but I have amassed a few buts and bobs over the years that could be cobbled together to make a model.

You do it primarily for the enjoyment and challenge - it's not all about money....

On money though, I have to say that the Mogul didn't cost £150 in parts - it cost £50 - £30 for a busted Farish Crab, which donated its chassis block, keeper plate and valve gear, and £10 for a BHE Fowler tender bare kit, and probably ~£10 of N-Brass detail parts. I had the Farish Black 5 body already from a bos of junk, so that cost essentially nothing. Therefore it's not that expensive to do these things if you are sharp in obtaining bits - I obtain scrappers and damaged models to work from, and boxes of spares and 'junk' (not to me!). Even if the model has no immediate use to me I may still grab it for parts that might be useful in the future. But I think a 'customer' would probably baulk at obtaining a model with those as a starting point, hence to do this for a 'customer' you'd likely have to buy your parts new - which is another reason the cost is so much higher.

Even though I sometime baulk at the cost of RTR stock, it is in my opinion really good value for money, its just a pity that as modellers we always seem to want stock that's not available, well at least I do.

Whilst I have plenty of RTR, the thing about it is that everyone's is the same unless you start modifying, detailing or improving (and I include mechanical improvement, even if not cosmetic in that) - something that relatively few do.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - A3 identity change
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »
Getting the quick identity change of the A3 closer to completion. Due to the need to move the dome, some rectification of the hole and boiler band that the old dome sat on was needed. None of the Brunswick greens quite match Dapol's, so weathering is the order of the day to merge all together. Needs anotehr pass, some oil representation on the valve gear and a little more I think.

Also fitted the speedo drive from an A4.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: May 29, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
One word........masterly

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Modern image detour
« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »
With a bank holiday providing a smidge of spare time, a small detour onto something completely different.

Upgrading older models is something relatively few seem to contemplate, instead demanding manufacturers retool. Pragmatically, though, so older models actually are still pretty respectable with a bit of upgrading.

One such is the Farish class 90. The original releases of these are pretty good for their age - Bachmann's version has the bogies set too far apart so needs that also addressed to improve. The originals benefit from mechanical overhaul and fitting of Bachmann wheels.

Also, the bare front buffer beam can be populated with pipes - I took many of mine from spare detail packs from locos that can't have these fitted due to couplings etc. The 90 can have a fully populated beams at both ends if you accept the coupling and buffer beam remains attached to the bogie. Removing the moulding line on the buffers is another small touch.

Before:

After:

I still need the buffing plates that locate between the front buffers - does anyone know if anyone makes these, or if I'll have to scratchbuild? Need these on the early passenger 90s, though later they were removed from many freight locos.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »
Hi
Pretty certain TPM made them but they are the same as on the Dapol 33 packs for the 33/1.
And yes you are right some small modeller based upgrades can do the honours - latest N mag has Grahame Hedge`s excellent 50 article.

Cheers
Robert 

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - A3 identity change
« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »
Getting the quick identity change of the A3 closer to completion. Due to the need to move the dome, some rectification of the hole and boiler band that the old dome sat on was needed. None of the Brunswick greens quite match Dapol's, so weathering is the order of the day to merge all together. Needs anotehr pass, some oil representation on the valve gear and a little more I think.

Also fitted the speedo drive from an A4.

Cheers,
Alan

Excellent work Alan, the weathering looks just right.

Roy

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything