!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Fowler 2-6-4T  (Read 59283 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Union Mills detailing
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2016, 11:10:59 AM »
Another evening on the 2F and it's pretty much done. First stage anyway.

The boiler handrails have now been soldered on, a reversing lever from scrap etch fitted and lamp irons from staples.

Most of the remaining work was on the tender - it had buffers and coupling hook fitted. Studying prototype pictures, these tenders had two rails at the cab end, which couldn't be left out. These were made from scrap etch and handrail wire, and the small triangular fillet at the bottom also added. A central toolbox (well, a representation) was made from a lump of whitemetal.

The loco is first stage complete. It will now head for cleaning up, primer and painting. Second stage will be fitting brake blocks, but this can be done to the base retaining plate of the loco, so need not hold up getting it painted.

Time on this? About 4 hours, so total time so far about 8 hours.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline CarriageShed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2016, 12:25:07 PM »
Another evening on the 2F and it's pretty much done. First stage anyway.

It's coming along very well. You're making it look so easy that I'm already contemplating getting a 2F so that I can convert it into an S&D Class G 'Scottie'. The differences are very small - mostly the cab sides and tender springs. And I'd have something unique afterwards.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2016, 02:35:28 PM »
I think I can feel a 2F joining the Foster Street fleet pretty soon  :D

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2016, 04:46:05 PM »

You've  got a Jub, Scot and Garratt to fix first.... ;)

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2016, 07:54:25 PM »

You've  got a Jub, Scot and Garratt to fix first.... ;)

Cheers,
Alan

Your a hard task master  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline bigbadbadge

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2016, 08:42:10 PM »
What fantastic work Dr Al, Will keep an eye on this thread, very inspirational.  I am building my first Kit in N gauge (BHE Thumper) and since joining I have taken down from the shelf of doom and re started work on it again.  It has been helped by the likes of your thread. 
Thanks for sharing

All the best
Chris

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2016, 12:14:33 AM »
Well it's been a bit longer than intended, but the first level detailing of the 2F is now done. It's been repainted and is ready to rejoin the runners, and await it's stage 2 detailing (brake gear).

It took longer to get into a paint fit state than intended - after the first coat of primer the tender needed little cleaning up, but the loco had numerous bemishes under the handrails that needed several passes to sort out. I blame my cutting of a corner here - not stripping the loco completely of paint first. I think it's something I'd still do (as the UM finish is robust, so having it under a refinish seems no bad thing) - but it does make it hard to see imperfections around the areas where cast detail has been removed.

However, it was tidyable with careful work. The handrails aren't perfect, but for a loco that by this time, (BR days) would be fairly old and unlikely to be in perfect condition, so I'm happy to let them pass.

and how it originally looked again:

A few details still need sorted out - painting of the whistle, safety valve and works plates will add something I think, and the tender disc wheels. Some better coal will be added I think too.

The tender had the most work, and I'm fairly pleased with the ultimate result - something a bit different to the fairly standard UM tender that comes with a plethora of different UM locos.

I probably spent at least another 4 hours on tidying up and painting, taking the approximate upgrade time to something around 12 hours. The list of improvements done in total is:

- motor replaced with 5 pole Mashima 1015
- loco-tender current wire shortened
- loco cast handrails removed and refitted with N brass components
- buffers replaced with N-brass turned buffers
- coupling hooks fitted
- front sandboxes fitted
- front stoneguards fitted
- separate reversing lever fitted
- chimney drilled out
- tender raised beading fitted to tank sides
- tender front handrails replaced using scrap etch and N-Brass handrails
- tender toolboxes removed and central one refitted
- rear tender fitted with lamp irons
- repaint with correct sized crests and numerals

Actually a fairly small list, and raises the loco to sit more readily with Bachmann/Dapol RTR.

Comments/criticism (constructive!) welcome!

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:35:43 AM by Dr Al »

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
I want one, I want one

Offline Ricardus Harfelde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24996
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »

very nice, The tender beading looks very good. Can I ask how you did the soldering for it, e.g. do you need to tin the brass first?

Richard

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2016, 11:42:20 AM »
Can I ask how you did the soldering for it, e.g. do you need to tin the brass first?

Yes, I tinned it with low melt (70 degree) solder, and also used this solder to do all work on the loco.

HTH,
Alan

Online NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2016, 12:01:18 PM »
Inspired by this; thanks for posting the photos.

I've added some stoneguards from scraps of brass to my Adams 0395, plus some coal in the tender, vacuum brake pipes, a crew, and a bit of weathering. Already looks a lot better. But minded now to do some more if I can find the right sort of brassy bits to add!

Any tips on where to find the right sort of detailing parts?

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
Any tips on where to find the right sort of detailing parts?

N Brass Locomotives:
http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/

They have a plethora of high quality parts. Nick there is very helpful.

Keep scrap etch from them too - it's always infinitely useful for fabricating things like the reversing lever.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2016, 01:46:17 PM »
Excellent and impressive work. A clear and informative post that is sure to be useful to forum members.

Thank you!

George
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:50:51 PM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - WD + WD = WD?
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2016, 11:38:22 PM »
So, with all the talk of price rises, unable to afford models and all the rest, what's the best thing to do?

Take two £100 models and attack them with a saw with the full intent of completely devaluing them and ending up with only one model after it all? Yep.....brilliant!

Truth be told, this was more accurately one good model and one cheap one that was missing some parts, but not those I needed. Ever since the Bachmann WD 2-8-0 was released, I've been slightly itching to see if there was a practicable way of making into the 2-10-0 version. The body will be easy (plastic cut-n-shut), but the chassis was always going to be the challenge - can a 2-8-0 be made into a 2-10-0 without madness or half scratchbuilding the chassis.

After some thought (6 months.... :confused1: ) the solution presented itself immediately when casting my eyes back over it. I won't go into massive detail, but suffice to say it involved cutting the back end off the two chassis in different locations, and joining the pieces back together, allowing an additional 5th rear wheelset to be added from one chassis (this wheelset being the 4th on the 2-8-0). I used the corner of the slot for the square bearing of the 3rd axle as the datum measurement point (this was the key to getting it all to match up). The rear wheels would then be spaced correctly* for fitting of the rear end of the coupling rods using the 3rd-4th axle spacing of the 2-8-0. This makes it easiest, but it does mean (and I'm sure some of you are screaming it already) that the wheelbase will be * a little bit longer than the real thing. This is something I accept - it would be more difficult to get the 4th-5th separation completely correct (and even then the 3rd-4th wouldn't be perfect).

This shall be a 'layout loco' as Tony Wright would say, so a tiny smidge long will do for me. The key is that it runs, and runs pretty well (fortunately the gear train is all completely untouched), which for me is a pretty big *phew* moment! I managed to get the two tyred wheelsets on, so that together with the slightly heavier chassis than the 2-8-0 should mean haulage capacity at least as good as it was originally, perhaps a smidge better.

I drilled out the holes on the front bogie wheelset aswell...:

Tyres on 3rd and 4th sets seem to do well. I haven't yet decided how to splice the two keeper plates together, but even without them the rods keep the wheels in place. It almost doesn't need the 5th set covered:

This feels like the worst of this done. The tender is done already (thanks Mrs/Mr Bachmann  :D ), so now just needs some measuring up of the bodies and a cut and shut to lengthen one up to sit on the chassis.

This one won't go round 9 inch radius curves....so if Mrs/Mr Bachmann ever thinks to do one, they'll need to do something more tricksy with the chassis to build in more clearances. Doesn't bother me, can be limited RA if necessary!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - WD + WD = WD?
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
WOW :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00