!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1  (Read 59036 times)

Online Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now back to K1
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »
Cant wait to se the next Loco to leave your locomotive works.

Heaven forbid that I'd agree with Mr Price about anything, but very much seconded here!  ;)  :P

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2015, 10:10:54 AM »

Heaven forbid that I'd agree with Mr Price about anything, but very much seconded here!  ;)  :P
Why is it so difficult to agree with me, you can't find it that hard to agree that I'm always right about engines from a real railway can you  :smiley-laughing:

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »
Why is it so difficult to agree with me, you can't find it that hard to agree that I'm always right about engines from a real railway can you  :smiley-laughing:

You see, I thought there might actually be hope for you but then you have to go and spoil it!  >:D  :P  :smiley-laughing:

Anyway, back on topic, superb modelling Alan!  8)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »

Have to say I'm actually relatively light on projects right now - a few early days, but not ready to actually progress. Duchess can progress, but need to source nameplates as this is proving harder than I first thought (anyone know a source of nameplates for 46256 "Sir William Stanier F.R.S." ?). There are of course a few bottom of the drawer projects that really should be finished, but have been sitting for ....a long time.

K1 has been running and still needs a couple of tweaks to the valve gear - it works fine but everything is fairly tight toleranced so getting the slide bars finally bonded to the cylinders in exactly the right location still needs to be accomplished.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
Hi Alan,
I've got a set somewhere as I never finished my conversion. PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post to you.
Gareth

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »
Hi Alan,
I've got a set somewhere as I never finished my conversion. PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post to you.
Gareth

Many thanks Gareth, I will take you up on that offer and PM you - you can let me know what you want for them.  :thumbsup:

:beers:

Thanks,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2015, 05:17:41 PM »
how much to buy the k1 off you  :D

haha i love the model its stunning! would be right at home on moorside running our heritage railway, aswell as the mainline section to "whitby".

due to my fat fingers etc i really struggle with any modelling especially to that standard!

k1 and k4 are 2 locos i would love to be able to have on our layout!

looks fab tho al well done!

paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »
Thanks Paul for the positive comments - 'fraid this one is not for sale though!

In other news, there has been progress on 46256, and thanks must got again to Gareth for his nameplates so it's no longer Duchess of Hamilton! No photos right now, but coming soon!

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now Ivatt Duchess
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2015, 01:54:48 AM »
A bit of time has allowed some progress to be made on a few projects.

The first was to actually finish @Atso 's Pigeon van - it was almost done, but I wanted to fit a half open side window - well it's always sunny on the Eastern, right?

The Ivatt Duchess has moved forward with some detailing done, and the bogie reshaped considerably. It'll be difficult to get this much closer, but it's better now than it was. Thanks to @Ozymandias for it, and @thebrighton for the nameplates which now identify her/him (and still need their mountings tidied up).

She's also had a new front bogie, the AWS cylinder and pipework fitted, and the reversing rod fitted. Just needs the under cab pipework (clutter!) to be fitted now. And that wire painting....

And the last project is a Masterclass models 51' Gresley coach - had this lying about awaiting the soldering iron for years, so thought I'd better dust it off. Early days, but you see the genesis. Probably shouldn't have started it, as you can't get these now, so I'm sure I've devalued it infinitely.... :angel:

Cheers,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Ivatt Duchess
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2015, 07:20:27 AM »
The Duchess is stunning  :heart2: :heart2: :heart2: :heart2: :heart2:

Online Dr Al

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - UM detailing
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2015, 02:17:22 AM »
Time off at Xmas always allows some catching up on projects, or starting of new.

One such area is my Union Mills fleet - some will know I've superdetailed several, but there's still quite a few to do. So lets get another done.

I realise that it's often said that UMs are prime for easy detailing, and here I try and provide an example of such. I've used only the absolutely most basic of tools, namely (some old knackered snips, some fine pliers, a scalpel, a needle file and sanding stick, pin vice with drills, and a screwdriver to remove the chassis):

and a small Antex soldering iron. Nothing more.

The victim is a UM LMS 2F. This is a perfect starter detailing model as there's only a little amount of detail that's really needed to upgrade it to fit better with modern RTR. As it comes (apart from the painted black rims and shortened wire):

My chosen prototype is 58143:

mainly because I have pics of both sides of it, and it matches the UM locos plain side rods (tho these are fluted on the back so could be reversed if your prototype had fluted rods.
So what needs doing? Well the tender is fairly close, but most had beading on the tank. Some of the tender details need re-cited, but otherwise there's no a lot. The loco really only needs lamp irons, a front coupling hook, and primarily: separate handrails. Also brake blocks, but this is harder and can be left out.

So out came the scalpel and off came all the unnecessary moulded detail - on the loco the handrails, the tender has had the paint removed with the sanding stick to give clean surface for the beading, some handrails at front end taken off.

That's it - now it's all reinstating. Total time so far? 1/2 hour.

I reinstated the handrails (only fitted temp here as some holes still need drills and I broke the last 0.4mm drill!  :doh: ). These are N-brass, knobs soldered on to the wire with standard 60:40 solder. They will be soldered to the body with low melt solder to avoid damaging the UM casting. The tender beading was soldered to the UM tender side with low melt 70 degree solder - this is scrap brass etch from the coach I was building in the last update (keep this stuff!). Of course you can get custom brass strip if you don't have any.

So far - total time, about 2 1/2 (leisurely) hours - i.e. an evening. This is something any modeller could attempt and the model is already improved and not in an expensive or big-time consuming way. Next will be fitting the boiler handrails, tender details .....but once some drills arrive....

Cheers,
Alan

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Union Mills detailing
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2015, 09:47:18 AM »
You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din... but it's looking great. I've found that creating a fall plate and sticking it inside the cab also helps to mask some of the gap between tender and loco, and helps to hide the wire too.

Offline bigbadbadge

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »
Wow this looks amazing, will catch up with the post properly soon as short of time today.

Keep up the good work

All the best and Happy New Year

Chris

Offline Bangor Lad

• N Gauge Society Number: 19972
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
Great topic!

I've a couple UM locos and some old Farish ones too which are just crying out for some detailing. Your posts may just have given me the impetus to get on with it, just as soon as I've managed to find the time!

Cheers
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
Cheers folks. Below are a few I've done before - shots that no doubt some will have seen before, but for those who haven't they show what can be done with more complex prototypes (why did I start back in the day with the hardest stuff....  :hmmm: ), and the standard I aim to get all my UMs to, one day!

UM J39 - the first I did, one of the relatively early models, which actually holds up very well to the Farish J39 still and will massacre the Farish model in terms of running performance:

The D20 which was a major detailing job with a lot more detail than will need to be added to the 2F:

LMS 7F, which had basically not much different that what will be added to the 2F. Just a bit bigger and a bit more of it:

I like the idea of the fall plate, not something I've been so bothered about with the above examples, but the 2F has a particularly visible cab area due to the small cab, so something I'll definitely consider. Easy to add later to any loco.

One thing with these is that they've all been fitted with Mashima 5 pole motors, which massively improves the slow speed performance and eliminates stickyness due to motor pole cogging, while keeping the massive pulling power of the original models. This, together with shortening the wire and painting the wheel rims is the absolute minimum I do to get a UM into satisfactory running condition to be used on the layout. I then joins the superdetailing queue, which is somewhat longer!

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything