!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1  (Read 58803 times)

dingleyhythe and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now Duchess fun
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2015, 11:18:40 PM »
Been dabbling in a little fun with a new tool Duchess - converting to the Ivatt Super-Duchess 46256 "Sir William A. Stanier".

This has required cabside modifications, replacement of the rear bogie (which still needs further cosmetic work) and there still need to be some detail alterations, nameplates, but it's looking not bad already. Glad I've managed to avoid any repainting beyond the base cab lining!

Those loco-tender wires need painting too....  :hmmm:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Hyperion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G'day
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2015, 01:14:03 AM »
Looking good Al
DC or DCC, that is the question.

Offline Luke Piewalker

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2015, 07:43:27 AM »
Indeed look forward to seeing it when you've tidied it all up.

Although you do seem to have accidentally made it NOT 'Duchess of Hamilton'  ??? :doh: :D

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »
Im jealous  :veryangry:

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2015, 10:46:41 AM »
Looking very good Alan. I agree about those wires though!  8)

Online Dr Al

• Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now back to K1
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2015, 12:39:35 AM »
After a bit of timeout, I've made a return to the K1.

A few steps back to make progress - I ended up pulling the whole cab back off and fiddled with the seating and straightness as it looked skewed (too high at rear). After reseating and fixing all the bits that came apart in the process I'm happier with it now.

Replacement boiler bands for those lost (because they were in the wrong place!) have been fitted - these are thin paper strips as it's the only thing thin enough.

I've fitted balance blocks to one side of the loco and this does improve the look a lot over the the squarer 3MT ones.

The last thing done was to install an extended cab floor for the longer cab to match up with the original. Once this has dried fully I'll drill to re-fit the B1 fall plate.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2015, 07:09:05 AM »
Alan

Brilliant job, but I did not think the LMS had any of these?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »
Nice job, Alan.
Were the balance blocks on the centre drivers larger than the others on the prototype or is it just the camera lens being cruel?

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Nice job, Alan.
Were the balance blocks on the centre drivers larger than the others on the prototype or is it just the camera lens being cruel?

Yes, they were larger - more reciprocating motion hanging off the central wheel.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2015, 01:06:40 AM »
Another evening has yielded progress on the K1. After all the bits had been torn off it at the start, I'm putting it all back and fitting the remaining detail needed. This included

- cab seats (straight from the B1, but moved back to suit the K1)
- electric lighting system at front end. K1s seemed to retain this for a lot of their lives, I could only find one photo with it having been removed. Therefore it needed fitting, and this was a stumbing point for a bit, until I remembered a Farish A1 shell I had knocking about. It sacrificed it's lamp irons with electric lights for the K1, saving a bit of effort fabricating from scratch!
- pipework for this lighting was fitted to RHS of boiler, in suitably non-straight fashion (seemed to be a bit wayward on the real locos).
- cab handrails refitted (straight from the B1, though horizontal ones had longer wire substituted to fit).
- fall plate from B1 refitted.
- the prominant front footstep on the smokebox door was fabricated from scrap brass sheet.
- the panel on top of the front of the firebox has been added in paper (again for thin-ness)

This one is now pretty close to the paint shop - only a few details left (front steps being the most necessary) - once again you can have it in any colour you like.....so long as it's black....  ;D

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »
Smashing detailing, Alan. Can't wait to see her emerge from the paint shop :drool:

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
I do love the attempts these lesser railways made to copy the mighty machines of the LMS, I'm sure if they asked nicely the LMS would have built them some nice Ivatt Moguls.

On a more serious note, its a smashing model, cant wait to see it finished.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2015, 11:13:18 PM »
K1, now available in matt black.

This has yielded only a few blemishes that will easily tidy up (surprising given all the joins, plasticard and filler), so this will fast get to the decal stage now  :thumbsup: .

Cheers,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2015, 11:17:45 PM »
Stunning, truly stunning

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »
Looking very very good Alan.  8)

I do love the attempts these lesser railways made to copy the mighty machines of the LMS, I'm sure if they asked nicely the LMS would have built them some nice Ivatt Moguls.

I'm reminded here of something Mike J posted once:

Duchesses are red,
A4's are blue,
126 mph for the A4,
The Duchess just couldn't do...

Re the above rhym... we'll conviently forget that Mallard's middle big end suffered some serious damage from running that fast and needed to be towed away for repairs....  :P

Anyway, lighthearted joking aside, when are you going to get the decals on Alan???  :D

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything