!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 75604 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs
« Reply #720 on: December 23, 2019, 12:20:16 AM »
Down in the southern region, the final big job on the Z class tanks has been done - this being a DCC fit of all 3 locos.

I'm not a DCC-ist, but decoder fits aren't hugely difficult - choosing the right decoder is the key - too often folks try to shoehorn huge decoders into locos when there's no need. Old Poole designs always work best with the smallest decoder that there is - the Zimo MX616F.

These have all been so-fitted, using Digihat conversion (completely reversible, again another gripe I have about poor standard DCC fits that modify things unnecessarily!). Decoders just need secured now, and the back inside end of the locos had been painted with a thick coat of black paint to aid in avoiding any contact between the decoders and any metal of the model - though again these decoders are nice as they are completely shrouded in heatshrink.

Testing awaits.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #721 on: December 23, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »
That's a very good-looking engine, Alan.

The nameplates are especially nice.

Fox Transfers etched plates - they are lovely and highly recommended.

Rather appropriate, given the name of 62476  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #722 on: December 23, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »
Any plans to darken the motion, Alan?

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #723 on: December 24, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
Any plans to darken the motion, Alan?

At the moment no, but primarily because the motion on this isn't accurate for this particular D49 variant. I haven't decided how to best change this, so for now it can run with the standard motion.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #724 on: December 24, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »
With some time free, I've pushed further on with the Caly tank - this is now getting very close to completion, so the motivation to push on and finish it before 2020 has risen.

I've done a number of the outstanding jobs, meaning only a few now remain prior to cleanup and primer - the small one being the two little side steps under the tank fillers - these'll be a pain as I'm sure once painted they'll get chipped easily.

I've now fitted the cab roof, made from thin sheet overlaid with 2 layers of beading to give an approximate representation of the real roofs.

The front end has had the coupling rod splashers fitted - these being filed from some lumps of brass.

Finally, the front end has had its pipework fitted, and the smokebox door has been detailed up to closer match the real thing. It still needs fitted and some other details added.

This is going to need a lot of clean up, and possibly a filler type primer to improve the worst scratching (one side tank had this from the start in particular).

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #725 on: December 27, 2019, 08:09:57 PM »
After a pause and a break, work has returned to the Z classes.

These are all finally DCC fitted and tested. 2 worked perfectly on DC and DCC straight off, and one did not! After about 2 hours of frustration I finally found the tiny piece of swarf that was shorting two pins on the decoder - probably picked up off the loco. I remembered why I remain DC!

However, all now run nicely, smoothly on both DC and DCC, and the performance of these chips is very good.

The locos have had final varnishing and safety valves refitted.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: December 27, 2019, 09:28:50 PM »
I will have a long way to go to reach this standard when I build mine, hopefully next year

Regards,

Alex

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #727 on: December 27, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »
Absolutely stunning work, Alan :goggleeyes:

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #728 on: December 27, 2019, 11:04:43 PM »
Too drawer @Dr Al right up there with RTR with that detail on them!!!!

let's hope they work better then a Dapol  ;D

Seriously fantastic you must be very happy you can turn such high standard stuff out!!!!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #729 on: December 28, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »
Congratulations, Alan.

That really is a terrific job. I particularly like how the three locomotives are the same but different, if you get my meaning.  Exactly like the real thing.

My personal preference is for 952, based entirely on the proportions of the BR 'crest' device.

With best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #730 on: December 28, 2019, 09:38:12 AM »
@Train Waiting not that I know a great deal but...... 30952 was the only Z, although only 8 ever existed to of recieved the BR Large crest, they very rarely recieved anything other than maintenance and repairs. They were very rarely seen much off shed or banking duties while at Exeter Central.

One ran wagons to and from Exmouth junction yard to Exeter central goods 3 times a day and usually 2 were sat in the middle roads at Exeter St David's waiting to earn their crust slogging up the 1:37 bank to Central. 1 NEVER left Exmouth Junction, the driver had one eye and the SR being compassionate kept him in work as a driver on his own locomotive within the confines of the yards, I'm sure that had nothing to do with him ploughing into the side of Bulleid Pacific 34050 in 1956, resulting in the Breakdown crane DS1580 working within 100m of it's own shed!!.

Alan has created 3 AMAZING masterpieces and look as close to Ex Shop 1:1 as I would say is physically possible in 1:148. Those rear shunters steps are truly phenomenal!!!!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #731 on: December 28, 2019, 12:21:43 PM »
Very many thanks for this, Craig @exmouthcraig .

That is a fascinating anecdote regarding goings-on at Exmouth Junction.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #732 on: December 30, 2019, 10:04:07 PM »
First Z now almost complete with weathering and front coupling. Just needs coaled. Two more left to do.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #733 on: December 31, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
In the final update of 2019, the Zs are complete bar visiting the coaling stage.

What's coming in 2020? Ah, well that'd be telling, but one hint is there's more southern region (I know, what's going on here!)

Best wishes, signing off for 2019,
Alan

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #734 on: December 31, 2019, 05:50:55 PM »
What fantastic models you have built Alan, you must be VERY impressed with your work.

Thank you for giving us amazing projects to follow through the year and levels some of us can only dream of achieving.

I look forward to seeing what's next.

Happy New Year to you!!!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal