!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 73315 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs
« Reply #675 on: December 06, 2019, 05:36:24 PM »
Back on the NE region, the D49 has had its remaining detail populated, and some adjustments of that already attached (straightened the wonky cab handrail that someone previously noted!).

This is very close now to first primer pass to see where the surfaces now lie - once all surfaces ok some fine wire details need to be added before full paint.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #676 on: December 06, 2019, 05:47:20 PM »
Clearly a VERY VERY TALENTED  N gauge loco builder Dr. Al, instead of just commenting on how good you are and drool over what your building I was wondering if I could be rude and ask a couple if questions??

Personally I think YOU should be a feature in the NGS Journal. I think that could be an inspiration to readers and NGS members who aren't here can see some of your truly magnificent work.

With the Zs your currently building being white metal but this D49 being a 3D print, both appear to be getting the same amount of detail, that handrail over the Smokebox door is exquisite!!! Which material for you do you find easiest to work with??? Presumably white metal can be carved and filled with solder, I say that like is cutting a piece of paper, I've tried to build a white metal kit, it went horribly  wrong, I just think a bit of personal experience regarding the new materials being brought into our hobby would be quite nice to hear.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #677 on: December 06, 2019, 06:23:11 PM »
Personally I think YOU should be a feature in the NGS Journal. I think that could be an inspiration to readers and NGS members who aren't here can see some of your truly magnificent work.

I submitted an article on the LMS Fowler 2-6-4T to NGS several months ago. I have no idea if it will be used or not, the editor seemed enthusiastic, but I've heard not much more.

I have relatively little time to write these things (too many models to build), so if they aren't used, I won't waste my time again!

With the Zs your currently building being white metal but this D49 being a 3D print, both appear to be getting the same amount of detail, that handrail over the Smokebox door is exquisite!!! Which material for you do you find easiest to work with???

Both have plusses and minuses. Whitemetal can get messy, and can be a pain when fitting parts of other materials (e.g. brass needs double solder pass to get it attached properly). It has good weight for adhesion, but often the kits themselves can be relatively poorly cast and don't always fit well. Generally the finesse of casting is never as good as 3D print or etched brass. Whitemetal can be glued, so offers a simple way in to kitbuilding, but to do it strongly and properly, low melt solder is really the best.

I still maintain anyone trying to start in loco building should buy a Langley 4MT 4-6-0 kit - very simple to build, but lots to learn in the process.

3D prints if sharp can be very quick to build, but the thing I *hate* about them is the layering, which can take a disproportionate amount of time to deal with, and can be virtually impossible to deal with in areas of high detail. In particular the FXD material Shapeways use just doesn't seem to be touched by fine wet and dry, or even courser files (strange) making all this arbitrarily awkward. Also, they are more fragile and brittle - some designers put in very fine detail, buffers, etc, and they are just so vulnerable to breakage - the D49 has a brass chimney tip for just this reason - I chipped the original chimney while drilling it out  :censored: :veryangry: :censored: ! Fortunately I was able to turn down a N Brass one for a King (IIRC) in a mini drill to save the model!

The best is probably all etched brass - strength, weight, finesse can all be got with this, but soldering skill is needed.

All 3 mediums probably also require a similarly sized swear box....  ;)

Presumably white metal can be carved and filled with solder, I say that like is cutting a piece of paper, I've tried to build a white metal kit, it went horribly  wrong, I just think a bit of personal experience regarding the new materials being brought into our hobby would be quite nice to hear.

Whitemetal solder is more like whitemetal than solder, so it can be a filler.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #678 on: December 06, 2019, 08:21:42 PM »
 :thankyousign: for such an in depth reply Alan, as for the NGS I meant a feature actually on YOU personally and the level and skill you bring to the hobby.

Obviously Mick @Newportnobby had a 4MT built by yourself which he praised very very highly, you have repair work for other forum members and your vast knowledge of the locomotives, pitfalls and repair advice given in a few simple lines.

I think a 3 page article on you, your passion, your ability, knowledge and expertise would be phenomenal.

Your workspace must look like an absolute dream.

I cant be the only person who would like to know the man behind the @Dr Al name???

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #679 on: December 09, 2019, 11:57:06 PM »
Out in the North eastern region, the D49 has now had first pass of primer, some smoothing, and various wiggly pipes that adorn the pictures I have of the prototype fitted.

It has also been re-primered, and had the necessary tender pickup wire stanchions fitted but I've not photoed that.

Down in Southern-land, the missing parts for Z tanks now arrived, and there's been a production line of smokebox doors set up, with the difference very notable from the original kit door, which is crude and too small

And when you need 3....

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #680 on: December 10, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »
There's a huge difference in those smokebox doors! :goggleeyes:
New ones are a vast improvement.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #681 on: December 10, 2019, 10:05:25 PM »
Z's all now have their faces:

Next is remaining front end detail (not much!) and the final task of whistles and safety valves.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Camster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #682 on: December 10, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
They are looking great - and it’s inspirational to see it. Thanks for taking the time to post so much and showing the progress of your projects. What is more, the standard of photography shows the same determination to get it right as the modelling itself.   

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #683 on: December 10, 2019, 10:34:25 PM »
What is more, the standard of photography shows the same determination to get it right as the modelling itself.   

Thanks, but the photos certainly aren't my thing - folk don't see how many repeat attempts to get these shots that end up binned, and these are anything but brilliant!

Cheers,
Alan

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #684 on: December 10, 2019, 10:56:03 PM »
Well @Dr Al, Mr Richard Maunsell would be mighty mighty impressed someone could take so much effort to replicate his beasts in 1:148th scale and get them so perfect!!!!.  :claphappy: :claphappy:

Exquisite models Sir!!!!

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #685 on: December 10, 2019, 11:46:57 PM »
A last bonus for tonight, time permitted fitting the last of the headcode disks needed - this being the vulnerable one on the smokebox side, which was do-able now the faces on.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #686 on: December 11, 2019, 12:31:58 AM »
As usual outstanding work Alan, I will be building one myself in the near future, can you tell me which smokebox door you ordered from Nbrass?

Regards,

Alex

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #687 on: December 11, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »
As usual outstanding work Alan, I will be building one myself in the near future, can you tell me which smokebox door you ordered from Nbrass?

It was part number 23148.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #688 on: December 11, 2019, 10:03:18 PM »
Closing in on the home straight for Zs, I've started the last major outstanding build area - the whistle, safety valve area.

On the prototype this seemed to be far more complicated than most (which are a case of plonking on some N Brass parts and job done) - various pipework, a raised whistle etc. The kit supplies parts that look nice, but are fundamentally fictitious in accuracy.

Even with a full reference book on the Zs themselves, no picture really precisely shows what was there, and even if I had that, I think in N reproduction would be fundamentally impossible, so I've moved to a slightly simplified representation - using N Brass A4 whistle, their SR fountain head whistle (modified), some pipework, and N brass Ross safety valves.

This gives the raised whistle and the main prominent pipes around the boiler side to make the area look reasonably 'busy'.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #689 on: December 12, 2019, 06:14:09 PM »
On the backlog clearance, NE style, we now have a nearing completion D49 - now available in black.

Next, gloss varnish, then lining.

For those that don't like black....there is something non-black coming, I promise!

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal