!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Lockdown projects  (Read 95551 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+54)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 47xx
« Reply #570 on: July 25, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »
In high gloss, the 47xx bathing in sunlight, and awaiting lining out.

I also cleaned back the cylinders and will paint them high gloss with the hairy stick so they can be freshly lined too. The chassis and motion will need some clean up too, but that's not so critical to getting it to a runable state.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #571 on: July 26, 2019, 10:07:14 PM »
A 3 hour decal session has seen the decals completed here, and the loco has somewhat unified its look.

Still need to do the cylinders, and clean up the original numberplates to refit them

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #572 on: July 27, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »
A 3 hour decal session has seen the decals completed here, and the loco has somewhat unified its look.

Still need to do the cylinders, and clean up the original numberplates to refit them

Cheers,
Alan

stunning model!

great find that was, was that found on evil bay? do you have a specific search criteria or do you just search n gauge and see whats available?
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #573 on: July 27, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
47xx has regained her (original) identity. Also added the WR red spot marks and painted the rear bufferbeam.

Bodies now complete ready for final varnish. Chassis still needs a little more work.

Cheers
Alan

Offline Bluebottle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • If its a smooth runner its got a home on my layout
    • Awards
« Reply #574 on: July 28, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
Stunning!!!

47xx one of my all time favourite locomotives!!! stunning job young man!!!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #575 on: July 30, 2019, 12:16:22 AM »
While the final satin varnish is drying on the 47xx, progress made on some others.

3rd pass of primer and smoothing on the V1 has highlighted the one utterly frustrating thing about 3D prints - the layering clean up. Even after seemingly hours of sanding, primer, sanding, primer, there's still layering visible. The material is definitely not amenable to sanding - it just does not sand anywhere nearly as quickly as other materials, meaning you think you've done loads, and find it looking virtually no different after priming.

From the projects box, one from way back on page 18 of this thread has been unearthed - a Fowler 4P 2-6-4T (interesting comparison to the V1). This is on a 3MT chassis and I've made a fair bit of progress in the last few days with more of the detail, getting the chassis to sit correctly, meaning hopefully this can reach the paint shop at a similar time to the V1 above.

Still some to do including the smokebox door, fitting the cab roof, and front lamp irons and coupling hooks and a whistle.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #576 on: July 30, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »
Final varnish coat done on the 47xx, and the result has been very pleasing.

Now I need to fix the fitment of the tender top (it doesn't really sit down right), and fit more weight, change the tyres to improve the running.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #577 on: July 30, 2019, 09:40:23 PM »
I know I always wait for the satin varnish pics, but that's a lovely loco, Alan :drool:

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #578 on: July 30, 2019, 10:06:14 PM »
Brilliant work as always  8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #579 on: July 30, 2019, 10:19:35 PM »
stunning beautiful - lost for words !!

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #580 on: July 31, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »
Yep fantastic work Dr Al', utilising what was available and plenty of ingenuity. I really admire this sort of modelling.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #581 on: July 31, 2019, 08:41:56 AM »
Superb work. What an amazing restoration project.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #582 on: July 31, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
Dr Al',
         What brands of filler and satin varnish do you use please?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2019, 09:23:51 AM »
I realise I didn't put a before/after:

Before:

After:

I think the vast essence of the original model remains - the changed components were the loco wheels, the tender top (albeit the same as the original), the chimney and the buffers.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #584 on: July 31, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »
Dr Al',
         What brands of filler and satin varnish do you use please?

I've used various fillers in the past, though try to absolutely minimise its use, instead trying to get joints correct without any. Where absolutely necessary, currently I've used green Squadron (?) filler - it's used commonly by aircraft modellers, and I've used Humbrol stuff in the past. I tend to try and avoid 2 part mix things, both in filler and adhesive as they tend to work 9 out of 10 times, and not mix properly on the 10th. Its why I only ever use epoxy where I really have no other option - e.g. front steps on the V1.

Satin varnish here was Phoenix Precision. Make sure it's mixed well though, or it'll come out gloss (guess how I know....  :confused1: )

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:29:38 AM by Dr Al »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal