!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Lockdown projects  (Read 92709 times)

Offline Doc Pye

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 47xx
« Reply #540 on: July 19, 2019, 09:08:25 PM »
Testors Dullcote is another can of worms - it's just nowhere near as good as it used to be 5 or 10 years ago (the EU busibody regulation friendly formula is complete trash IMHO).

The busy-bodies at the EU ruined Future/Pledge too....but luckily I get a bottle once and a while when I go back to the States.

As for Testors Dullcote, it definitely has had its ups and downs...but I still find it works good on a good covering of Future. :)

Give Stynelrez/Mig One Shot/Ultimate Primer a try, and I think you will find it works well.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #541 on: July 20, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »
question regarding the L1, its on an N class chassis didnt you say? so is there a facility to put the 6pin dcc socket in the cab? how much room is there under the shell?

cheers

Paul

I presume you mean V1. There's space for a decoder in the bunker - the cab would be a crude and clumsy DCC fit (all too common out there - but that's another rant....).

No need for a socket - that's just a waste of space - a small wired CT Electronik decoder would be the way to do.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #542 on: July 20, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »
The busy-bodies at the EU ruined Future/Pledge too....but luckily I get a bottle once and a while when I go back to the States.

It is apparently still available in original formula form, albeit branded as something else (which I forget).

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #543 on: July 20, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »
question regarding the L1, its on an N class chassis didnt you say? so is there a facility to put the 6pin dcc socket in the cab? how much room is there under the shell?

cheers

Paul

I presume you mean V1. There's space for a decoder in the bunker - the cab would be a crude and clumsy DCC fit (all too common out there - but that's another rant....).

No need for a socket - that's just a waste of space - a small wired CT Electronik decoder would be the way to do.

Cheers,
Alan

The BR V3 that Steve did has a tiny Zimo in the cab/bunker area, plenty of room to spare. One other thing we discovered was that after replacing the rearmost tyred wheelset with plain wheels (available from Bachmann) to provide pickup on all driven wheels (and dispensing with the pickup on the rear pony) the loco was still capable of comfortably pushing or pulling 11 coaches round R3 curves the chassis weight is so well balanced.

Roy

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #544 on: July 20, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
hmm, im just thinking that despite not being preserved it would make a nice small engine for my branch layout. would need sound in though lol
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #545 on: July 20, 2019, 05:25:21 PM »
I'm loving the 47xx creation.

Etched primer.
I used some today first time ever. I had some chipping on an N gauge coach made from brass etches, which miffed me after a lot of work. Decided to etch prime in future.  I have just used a Hy-Cote rattle can of E.P. that was around £7.50. It looks to have covered nice and evenly with two passes. I hope it sticks likr s**t to the proverbial blanket.

Testors Dullcote.
I had a bottle for a few years and was always very happy with it's dead matt finish. When I ran out I decided to bide my time and locate some in a model shop at some stage. Last year I found some in a Newton Abbot model shop and bought 2 bottles. It has indeed changed with nowhere near the dead matt finish I had achieved with the old bottle. A real let-down.

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: July 20, 2019, 05:50:25 PM »
The biggest problem with primers is they are not left long enough to dry and chemically cure. 

On brass leave at least 10 days to get a full strength prime. 

If you coat it with paint faster than this the residual solvent is trapped and sweats the primer softening it.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #547 on: July 20, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
If you coat it with paint faster than this the residual solvent is trapped and sweats the primer softening it.

Interesting. Car body shops never do this....

Cheers,
ALan

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: July 20, 2019, 06:11:20 PM »

Cheers,
ALan

In car plants they use infra red or other heat to accelerate drying.  In car body shops I suppose it depends on how much you are paying  :)

Its just chemistry of the paint in the end and how fast the solvent disperses.

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #549 on: July 20, 2019, 06:32:58 PM »

Cheers,
ALan

In car plants they use infra red or other heat to accelerate drying.  In car body shops I suppose it depends on how much you are paying  :)

Its just chemistry of the paint in the end and how fast the solvent disperses.

That is very interesting Snowolflair...thank you.

Like many if not most of us I can be impatient and want to get on with the job. I have today sprayed Hi-Cote etch primer onto 3 pairs of Mk1 coaches that have langiushed in a drawer for last 3 years of so. Old Fleetline and MTK sides that are flimsy due to the thin brass. I will let them dry for many days.

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #550 on: July 21, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »
That is a very lovely piece of modelling, proportions look spot on.  The side view makes me wonder if I should have another go at my much cruder whitemetal version and take a slice out of the boiler. Mine looks a bit front-heavy at the moment - it may be a long way from a scale model, but I would still like the basic proportions to be about right. You do realise that DJM will announce a K1 about two days after you finish yours?

Taking a slice out the boiler may need consideration, as it may force you to move the cylinders and shorten the valve gear.

The N class is a distinct possibility - the drivers wheelbase is a smidge shorter than the B1, but has the advantage of having valve gear which is a pretty close representation of the K1. You could then use a Farish B1 body and a V2 tender (which would be trivial to couple to the N using a B1 drawbar). There are many ways of doing a K1 I think - the B1 is a nice option for me as they were cheap! And I have other ideas for the N.....

....mind you it's such a nice model it's difficult to consider cutting it about!

V2 tender top, N, my K1, B1 bottom.

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Al

Im really wanting a K1, so would the easiest option (with minimal conversion) be to use a N class chassis, V2 tender then a B1 boiler? i presume the B1 boiler would need cutting down silightly?

cheers

Paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #551 on: July 21, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »
Im really wanting a K1, so would the easiest option (with minimal conversion) be to use a N class chassis, V2 tender then a B1 boiler? i presume the B1 boiler would need cutting down silightly?

Possibly, but there may be a lot of work getting the motor chassis into the B1 body which was not designed for it.

Mine was a cut down B1 body, lengthened B1 cab, B1 tender drive and chassis with 3MT wheelsets - the build is way back in this thread.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:57:06 PM by Dr Al »

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #552 on: July 21, 2019, 10:23:13 PM »
V1 has now been completed in terms of assembly. Paint next.

The rear view shows the different bunker detail on this one.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #553 on: July 22, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
Is that what they call the 'hopper' type of bunker giving an extra ½ a tonne coal capacity, Alan?
Just as well they never got near Oxfordshire or you'd have another commission!

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #554 on: July 22, 2019, 10:24:04 AM »
Is that what they call the 'hopper' type of bunker giving an extra ½ a tonne coal capacity, Alan?

Yes, indeed.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
92% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal