!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Quickie!  (Read 61453 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Patriot
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
After a step away for a little from the Patriot, I've made more progress on it - first fixing the splashers gaps, and also overlaying brass on the front splashers, adding a tab to ease attachment of nameplates in future. The reverser was added in scrap brass too while in that area.

The front end has also been completed with lamp irons, coupling hook and vac pipe. Frame extensions were also added under the footplate above the front bogie to cut out the gap and add 'weight' to the front look of the model.

The first primer coat has been done - this identifies a fair amount of clean up required in various areas - it's pretty rough, but it's actually better than I expected given the  extremely rough starting point. Next will be a thorough clean up session to try and remove the remaining bemishes, but the back of this build is broken, and soon she'll be seeing some green (yes.....sorry @paulprice it will be green....).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #406 on: January 30, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »
As Stevie Wonder sang "Isn't she lovely" and I, for one, think she'll look great in green :heart2:

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
GREEN, GREEN how terrible, if you carry on like this I will stop talking to you  :P

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #408 on: February 01, 2019, 10:11:38 PM »
Well it's now green. And black.

I have to say I'm more pleased with the result than I thought I'd be - it's a much smoother model than I was expecting given how rough it actually started. Also, the BHE kit is sorely underrated - this really does have the character of the Patriot I feel.

Next for this are minor touch ups where masking for the black was impossible, followed by all over gloss and then to the decal shop.

Also back from paint is the Ivatt 4 tender top - now ready for decals. This is well ahead of the loco as there's still some hard bits to sort out on it.

Last is a new project. This is one I've wanted to do for a while - a UM B12 to get detailed. This isn't the loco I intended doing it on though - I have another B12 but this came in recently and is a really nice runner and with the later correct tender. So it's going for the upgrade treatment instead.

While a good runner, this has the older UM motor, so first job was a motor change to a Mashima 1015 to match the rest of my UMs.

Next was the hour of stripping off the moulded detail that will be replaced.

Yes, this now looks a mess! Holes already drilled for new handrails, some further tidying up to do, but already well on the way. Also worth noting - UM models are not single piece castings! The buffers and smokebox door are separate! I think the boiler is too IIRC, but it won't be coming off. Next will be more clean up and a handrailing session.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #409 on: February 03, 2019, 11:58:58 PM »
A marathon lining session has pushed the Patriot on - just the footplate orange line to now complete.

Also decalled was the Ivatt 4MT tender:

Finally the B12 has had most of the handrails completed, and new buffers attached. Some more detail to complete but already looking better.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
Project B12 has gained the front bufferbeam details and some on the tender. The stoneguards are a prominant part of the front end of these locos, so it was important to add them, but this does mean the front coupling has to go.

Patriot is decalled complete and heading for the final gloss coat to seal the decals fully.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #411 on: February 06, 2019, 08:44:16 AM »
Many thanks, Alan, for these superb photographs.  The 'Baby Scot' is fabulous and the Union Mills 'B12' will look terrific after your 'treatment'.

Great stuff, indeed.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #412 on: February 06, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »
Lovely work Alan. I particularly like what you are doing with the B12!

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #413 on: February 06, 2019, 08:07:13 PM »
Alan,

I agree - the B12 looks superb.

There's something about the clean lines of inside cylindered locomotives.

Unless you have to work on the bits between the frames, however!

Regards,

Roy

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #414 on: February 06, 2019, 10:15:59 PM »
Patriot now virtually complete - cylinders need final sorting out and coal added. That footplate line was an absolute pig to get right!

It's not perfect paint wise, but it's a large improvement on the starting point:

Refurbished:

Cheers,
Alan

Offline njnall

• N Gauge Society Number: 21580
    • Awards
« Reply #415 on: February 06, 2019, 10:36:34 PM »
Your Patriot locomotive is a stunning piece of workmanship, following a tradition of your many previous locomotives :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #416 on: February 07, 2019, 10:13:14 AM »
I've been waiting for the 'matted' version, and what a beauty :heart2:

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
Very handsome loco

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »
What a lovely job you've done on the Patriot Alan. They always seem a little strange in green (rather than maroon) to me but that doesn't take away from the first class job you've done!

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #419 on: February 07, 2019, 11:22:13 PM »
And finally, Patriot complete with cylinder detail added and cylinders repainted and lined. There won't be clearance for the draincock pipes on this one, only the base detail, but I think they look better now.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything