!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gresley LNER Teak Restaurant Triplet Set (RTS)(3D printed)  (Read 2215 times)

Richard Taylor and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RBTKraisee

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Gresley LNER Teak Restaurant Triplet Set (RTS)(3D printed)
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 03:40:25 AM »
10:30 at night, just finished work.   I'm getting up at 1:12am for a SpaceX launch of another clutch of their Starlink satellites, and then again at 5:30am to catch the Formula 1 practice, but a few things happened today and I wanted to make a post...

I received a package from Debbie & Andy at The Sports and Model Shop containing a Graham Farish A1 "Tornado"! :)    I have to say, it is a beautiful model, and most impressive of all even from the very first minute at the beginning of running it in, its already about a quarter as loud compared to any of my fully run-in Dapol's (A10 Scotsman, A4 Mallard, Cranmore Hall).   Oh, and my new Scotsman has just started jerking along, so I'm going to have to do some trouble-shooting there.

Also heard from Hattons today, that a package they sent me 8 weeks and 1 day ago, containing their last Class 33 "Eastleigh" (one of the trains I cabbed once when I was a kid riding home from school one day) was just returned by the Post Office :(   Not Hatton's fault, I'm sure its something to do with the Pandemic, but they're shipping it back out to me again now so it will hopefully get here in a few weeks! :)

And I've gone and ordered three Pendolino's from Revolution's next batch!

I've got 35 minutes to go before the v2 coupling parts finish printing, so I'll grab a bite to eat while I wait, clean them and the 3D printer up, and then set my PSX-1 circuit breaker box designs off on an 18 hour print, before catching a precious few zzz's :)   I'll probably get some more done in the morning while the cars go whistling around Silverstone! ;)   Go SpaceX!!

Ross.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:42:54 AM by RBTKraisee »
“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still a shade of "British Tourist White"

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+54)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 03:28:30 PM »
I've been slammed at work this week so progress on models has ground to a very slow pace, but I set a print running over night and here are the first results of my coupling designs!

I've decided to integrate the coupling into the bogie using a wire spring to allow for limited extension forwards and a little side-to-side too.

I've designed a pocket based on NEM's 355 standard and you will see below that my first print fits a Dapol/Rapido connector fairly well!   I want to do some more tweaks to this design, the NEM pocket is still a touch tight, and the tiny mounting points for the spring wire didn't actually print as holes, just marks in the plastic, but I think v2 of these should work pretty well.

Alan, you - and others - will be glad to hear that the NEM pocket is in exactly the same relative position as the Dapol Gresley!

Richard, you'll note that the NEM pocket is on a removable piece, but if you remove it (see middle bogie in the picture) it just leaves a gap in the bogie.   It would be a simple process to glue a piece of thin plastic in there to replicate the real headstock on the front of the bogie, if you prefer.

Anyway, enjoy.   I'll provide more updates on my various projects as time allow this week.

Ross.

Interesting progression.

I'd be keen to see that you can get this to work coupled up to other coaches outwith the triple formation, and how close the coupling will be. The reason is that there are absolutely no UK outline coaches, locos or any stock that use a sprung NEM pocket that is bogie mounted like this. Therefore you probably want some continued robust testing, on every conceivable track formation (sharp reverse curves, pointwork, double slips) to ensure it works reliably.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 03:33:50 PM »
P.s. The coupling is in upside down in your pic  ;)

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 03:42:41 PM »
LOL, I noticed that after I took the photo. Wondered who would spot it first! ;)

Agreed.   I'll test it as thoroughly  as I can here, but I have a limited number of test pieces (track, loco's and coaching) to play with myself.   I might need to send a few early examples of the RTS kit out to a couple of "beta testers" to put the whole thing through its paces in a wide range of situations, before I do a proper release.

Ross.
“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still a shade of "British Tourist White"

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: Yesterday at 03:55:29 PM »
Happy to volunteer as a beta tester. I've done a few bits like this for @Mr Sprue , and N Brass Locos (Duchess bogie).

Cheers,
Alan

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: Yesterday at 05:08:44 PM »
Fantastic, I'll take you up on that - thanks Alan!

Ross.

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: Yesterday at 07:49:50 PM »
AH DAG NABBIT!  :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

My 3D printer is now offline until I can get a replacement vat, which will be week or two :(

The FEP film got a pinhole in it and I started loosening the hex-screws underneath, but one wouldn't turn.   I used too much force, bent my allen key and ended up stripping the damn hex hole in the head of the screw  :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

I'll try a few things to see if I can perhaps cut a slot on the head with a dremel, but I haven't had much success with such antics in the past, so I'm not holding my breath.   I expect I won't be printing anything for a while. :'(

Ross.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:51:37 PM by RBTKraisee »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal