!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Freds workbench progress, recent work and help needed with langley Q1  (Read 335 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
First just an update photo on kit building so far. Beyer Garrett, 10,000 & 100,001 (in progress), Fowler 2-6-4T, Fowler 7F, Stanier 2-6-4T, LNER A8 and Aspinall 2F. (both the A8 and the Aspinal are head turners at the club). [My detailed J94 has also crept in the photo]

Now I need some help, ive bought a non runner tatty Langley Q1 tender loco, just awaiting the Postman. The non runner bit isnt a concern, it will need paint stripping and cosmetic sorting. Can anybody help with a copy of the Langley kit instructions? (Email scan or photo would do fine) plus this has only got the Farish chassis spoked wheels, does anybody have a set of etch overlays in their bits box?
ooooh ahhh  I'm still hunting a Cowans Sheldon 75 t crane kit....

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Some lovely models there, not sure where a Q1 fits in though.  I think you might be stretching Rule One a bit. ;D

Richard

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
Thanks Richard, the Q1 certainly does not fit. Im from Derby so mainly have LMS, my Grandfather was a top link Derby Engine Driver, he drove 10000 and 10001, Jubilees, Black 5s, 4p, Fairburn, Fell. The Aspinal is also oddball. My second interest is LNER with a variation from J94 thro A4s to W1.
The Q1 was a flippant Ebay bid as it was so cheap, i put a bid on then went out, I was shocked late evening to see you have won....

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
I can't see it on their website but Langley definitely used to sell the brass overlays separately. Might be worth asking.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
Re: Freds workbench progress, recent work and help needed with langley Q1
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 07:31:14 PM »
Well the Q1 wreck has arrived, I rather think somebody had an N gauge garden layout and left this one outside for a while.

Photo is poor, i didnt check before I dismantled the loco
The loco chassis is I think a marriage, the armature is 5 pole in a later cradle with plastic pole piece locators yet the main driver is a brass spur wheel. This is the worst poorest chassis I have ever seen, it has surface corrosion all over, Ive had to lightly file it all over and glass fibre brush it, later I will attempt an assembly to see if it will work, I need to search my spares box for a set of usable pickups.
Thanks TheBrighton, I have emailed Langley as soon as your message appeared, alas no reply.
Has anybody a set of etches and could do me a plastiscene imprint?.
Can anybody clarify colour? on the net there is a photo of the last Q! at the Bluebell railway, it looks all to the world as if its very very dark blue with a black smokebox -  was this ever a colour choice in preservation?
Finally, as I dont model southern locos at all I dont have any transfers, has anybody a remainder unwanted transfer sheet with 'C1 & Southern' (for each side).
I do hope that I can turn a 'pigs ear into a Silk Purse'

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 08:52:23 PM »
I've just noticed NBrass supply overlays in 2 sizes: http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/nprecursor.html
Q1's only came in black.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 11:55:40 PM »
Has anybody a set of etches and could do me a plastiscene imprint?.

I have a complete set of wheels with etches attached for the Langley Q1. I'd happily swap them for a set without etches.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces. Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »
Just to bring things up to date, thanks guys for comments so far and particular thanks to DrAl for your kind offer. Ive ordered parts from n brass for projects and added a set of wheel covers to my recent order.
The Q1 Farish chassis has been stripped, base casting filed up (yes I had to file the surface corrosion off!!!!! ), after more cleaning it actually works,
Im now to paint strip the loco and tender bodies before adding proper handrails and pipes etc.
The castings are horrible but hey ho, a bit of filler, thick undercoat, rub down and paint and nobody will know.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »
For the Q1; Ive researched the internet, got hold of data books searching for the info I need to correct the castings and add detail etc
The photos are just about all black and white.
As I like to model something oddball I was hoping to find an example in BR Green (or something else); but all I can see is gloss black with Matt black smoke box .
Does anybody have info on any oddball livery?

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
Does anybody have info on any oddball livery?

In real life they came in one colour and only ever one colour : Black.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces. Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »
The internet photo at York Museum shows a lovely Quink dark blue, pity its a trick of the light on the camera!
Im just looking at the loco castings after paint stripper; ugh; its going to need some careful work with low temp solder.
Has anybody got a copy of the Langley instructions they could scan / photo for me?

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations