!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Faller roadway  (Read 153 times)

Online DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Faller roadway
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:33:14 PM »
 :helpneededsign:
Has anyone here got any experience of "bashing" vehicles for the Faller road system. I have aquired two sets with the truck and a bus but they are too modern. I'm modelling 1930s GWR and would love to find some suitable vehicles to bash for Faller. Any experience and advice welcome.
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
Re: Faller roadway
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »
There is an active Facebook Group if you are in to such things........

https://www.facebook.com/groups/173584226346314/

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:29:54 PM »
Not done any 2 mm scale (yet) but done quite a few in 4mm...

Key thing for running is keep the overall weight down and balanced i.e. don't stick a white metal cab on the front of a plastic body!

Modern vehicles as modelled by Faller tend to be longer than typical vehicles of your period, so you either need to be selective in your choice or you are into the realms of modifying the chassis to fit. It can be done depending on your skills and confidence; but there you need to be careful as too much change can disrupt the steering geometry.

The vehicles as they come tend to be excessively fast, but can be slowed by adding a suitable resistor.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »
One of the challenges of motorising 1930s vehicles is accommodating the steering mechanism which is much bulkier on the model chassis than on the real thing.  A forward contriol cab, like the Dornaplas Thorneycroft, might adapt to the truck chassis. Almost all 1930s buses were of the half cab configuration with the front axle very far forward, though Maudslay and Dennis made full front bodies, and the Maudslay Magna/SF40 had the front axle set back behind the front entrance door. The Oxford Diecast Burlingham Sunsaloon would make a good strating point, although it is a post ww2 design. There are several of these on the exhibition circuit. Look at the Wickwar layout for ideas. Another approach might be to use a full front trolleybus body as a starting point.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Online DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »
One of the challenges of motorising 1930s vehicles is accommodating the steering mechanism which is much bulkier on the model chassis than on the real thing.  A forward contriol cab, like the Dornaplas Thorneycroft, might adapt to the truck chassis. Almost all 1930s buses were of the half cab configuration with the front axle very far forward, though Maudslay and Dennis made full front bodies, and the Maudslay Magna/SF40 had the front axle set back behind the front entrance door. The Oxford Diecast Burlingham Sunsaloon would make a good strating point, although it is a post ww2 design. There are several of these on the exhibition circuit. Look at the Wickwar layout for ideas. Another approach might be to use a full front trolleybus body as a starting point.

Thanks Mike - I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I'll need to apply modellers license to the period of the vehicles ....... but I don't count rivets so no great loss

Online DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:22:23 PM »
Not done any 2 mm scale (yet) but done quite a few in 4mm...

Key thing for running is keep the overall weight down and balanced i.e. don't stick a white metal cab on the front of a plastic body!

Modern vehicles as modelled by Faller tend to be longer than typical vehicles of your period, so you either need to be selective in your choice or you are into the realms of modifying the chassis to fit. It can be done depending on your skills and confidence; but there you need to be careful as too much change can disrupt the steering geometry.

The vehicles as they come tend to be excessively fast, but can be slowed by adding a suitable resistor.

Thanks for the insight - I had noticed the speed issue in an article and was considering adding one of those multi-turn pots to slow things down. Will also try to model in plastic as I heard metal can quickly drain batteries.... but may have to compromise on period due to lack of suitable donor designs for 1930s vehicles.

Online DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »
There is an active Facebook Group if you are in to such things........

https://www.facebook.com/groups/173584226346314/

Thanks - I'll give them a nudge :beers:

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £325.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
January Donations

Advertise Here