!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: railsquid's workbench of spares and despair  (Read 8396 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: railsquid's workbench of spares and despair
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2019, 04:12:48 PM »
Well, lightning never strikes twice in the same place and all that, but what have we here but another Shinkansen power car suffering the dreaded rot:

Tomix 300 series Shinkansen - "Mazak rot" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I was alerted to this on another forum, and upon checking my own example of the model (a Tomix 300 series Shinkansen, catalogue number 92808) determined it was not all it was cracked up to be (hah).

A perusal of the Japanese internet did not bring to light any further examples (in contrast to the MicroAce unit previously mentioned) so I suspect it's just a case of freaky bad luck.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2019, 04:17:14 PM »
In more positive news, this example of the Lesser Spotted Jumping Japanese Electric Locomotive Grab Handle was recaptured, having previously made a bid for freedom.

grab-handle by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It was found hiding out in an open jar of ballast and has been bagged away pending reunification with whichever locomotive it was supposed to be attached to.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »
So, unexpectedly and on a whim Mrs. Squid decided to pay a visit to IKEA and take the Squidlet, and as I the only time I will ever go to IKEA is with a list of item numbers and their stock levels and their location in the warehouse area, which is to be entered by sneaking backwards through the cash desks (a process which should take no more than 30 minutes), I had a couple of reasonably focussed hours with which to juggle tiny pieces of plastic and metal with hopefully minimal loss to the Carpet Monster, and turned my attention to this old MicroAce 101 series (2001 production), acquired for next to nothing because old and with various defects, though its exterior condition is fine.

MicroAce Chuo Sobu Line 101 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr[/i]

Now, here we see some somewhat newer MicroAce 101 series cars, acquired for next to nothing because genuine junk, generally poor dirty exterior condition (photos hide full extent), but they looked very useful as a source of spare parts.

MicroAce "Kansai Livery" 101 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

In particular the  the bogies, which have the newer axle pinpoint pickup system and darkened wheels, but first they need a little bit of work as the previous owner presumably liked to keep them in the lint trap of his/her tumble dryer:

microace-101-axle-fluff_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

microace-101-axle-fluff_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

microace-101-axle-cleaning_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The difference: old (left) vs new (right). In particular, the newer bogies run with less resistance.

microace-101-axle-old_new_pickups_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I also acquired a better motorized chassis from a newer MicroAce production run, with flywheels and axle pinpoint pickups, which should have run nice and smoothly but didn't really, showing a distinct wobble at lower speeds and was prone to stalling and derailing. It turned out the axle back-to-backs needed adjusting (outwards) as presumably that meant a) the axle pinpoints were not always making contact with the pickups, and b) there was too much lateral "play" causing the wobbling. Fixing that made it much harder to reassemble the bogies but once done it now runs nice and smoothly. 

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £315.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
105% 
January Donations

Advertise Here