!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: railsquid's workbench of spares and despair  (Read 10046 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: railsquid's workbench of spares and despair
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2019, 04:12:48 PM »
Well, lightning never strikes twice in the same place and all that, but what have we here but another Shinkansen power car suffering the dreaded rot:

Tomix 300 series Shinkansen - "Mazak rot" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I was alerted to this on another forum, and upon checking my own example of the model (a Tomix 300 series Shinkansen, catalogue number 92808) determined it was not all it was cracked up to be (hah).

A perusal of the Japanese internet did not bring to light any further examples (in contrast to the MicroAce unit previously mentioned) so I suspect it's just a case of freaky bad luck.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2019, 04:17:14 PM »
In more positive news, this example of the Lesser Spotted Jumping Japanese Electric Locomotive Grab Handle was recaptured, having previously made a bid for freedom.

grab-handle by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It was found hiding out in an open jar of ballast and has been bagged away pending reunification with whichever locomotive it was supposed to be attached to.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »
So, unexpectedly and on a whim Mrs. Squid decided to pay a visit to IKEA and take the Squidlet, and as I the only time I will ever go to IKEA is with a list of item numbers and their stock levels and their location in the warehouse area, which is to be entered by sneaking backwards through the cash desks (a process which should take no more than 30 minutes), I had a couple of reasonably focussed hours with which to juggle tiny pieces of plastic and metal with hopefully minimal loss to the Carpet Monster, and turned my attention to this old MicroAce 101 series (2001 production), acquired for next to nothing because old and with various defects, though its exterior condition is fine.

MicroAce Chuo Sobu Line 101 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr[/i]

Now, here we see some somewhat newer MicroAce 101 series cars, acquired for next to nothing because genuine junk, generally poor dirty exterior condition (photos hide full extent), but they looked very useful as a source of spare parts.

MicroAce "Kansai Livery" 101 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

In particular the  the bogies, which have the newer axle pinpoint pickup system and darkened wheels, but first they need a little bit of work as the previous owner presumably liked to keep them in the lint trap of his/her tumble dryer:

microace-101-axle-fluff_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

microace-101-axle-fluff_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

microace-101-axle-cleaning_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The difference: old (left) vs new (right). In particular, the newer bogies run with less resistance.

microace-101-axle-old_new_pickups_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I also acquired a better motorized chassis from a newer MicroAce production run, with flywheels and axle pinpoint pickups, which should have run nice and smoothly but didn't really, showing a distinct wobble at lower speeds and was prone to stalling and derailing. It turned out the axle back-to-backs needed adjusting (outwards) as presumably that meant a) the axle pinpoints were not always making contact with the pickups, and b) there was too much lateral "play" causing the wobbling. Fixing that made it much harder to reassemble the bogies but once done it now runs nice and smoothly. 

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2019, 02:02:15 PM »
Here's the power car of a Dapol HST bookset, acquired a year or two back 2nd hand as a non-runner for about 60GBP:

Dapol HST (blue/grey) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I finally got round to looking at it, assuming some Dapol electrickery had failed, but after taking it apart, applying the output of a 9V DC battery to the motor contacts, and putting it back together again, it decided it would start working just like that. Presumably all that needed doing was to dislodge some electrons or something  :hmmm:

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go and play trains like it's Christmas 1980 and I got the OO gauge HST set I always wanted  :angel:

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 03:10:35 PM »
Then I remembered one final todo item, and I apologies in advance for the jump in scale, but here we see on the left Squidlet's train (an E257) and for comparison, Daddy's somewhat smaller version:

plarail-e257_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The larger version has a design flaw, namely that the battery needs to be fitted like this:

plarail-e257_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

and even with moderate usage, is prone to coming loose every 5 minutes or so, then it's "Daddy put new battery?".

Hopefully some additional internal packing will solve that:

plarail-e257_03 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Now if you'll excuse me I need to go and play trains like it's Christmas 1980 and I got the OO gauge HST set I always wanted  :angel:

Great stuff!  I was a student in Dundee when the HSTs started working the Aberdeen to KX turns (I have an 'I travelled on the first HST from Dundee' certificate somewhere!).  To my eye, that livery has never been bettered.  And now, 40 years later, short formation HST sets, with 'Inter-City' lettering, are appearing on internal ScotRail services.

I hope you enjoy playing trains.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 03:50:42 PM »
43002 aptly named Sir Kenneth Grange is currently still plying the main line between Paddington and Penzance painted in IC livery.
Unfortunately not for much longer though  as the IETs are now in control of many of the trains.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 04:10:29 PM »
I don't think I actually travelled on any of these in original livery, maybe once or twice in one of the InterCity variants? Which at least adheres to the fundamentals of locomotive/rolling stock liveries, i.e. mainly horizontal colour bands with angles and/or verticals as appropriate to the underlying design (and not some vinyl excrescence dreamt up by a designer after a bad ketamine session or whatever).

Unfortunately the Dapol unit conked out after a few laps, same symptoms as before, but maybe that's just being true to prototype (albeit lacking a Paxman-Valenta clag generator). But I shall prevail and it will run again.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
Now, how's this for close coupling?

Tomytec Kokutetsu 62 series (Minobu Line) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It works, too, even around curves :D Don't worry about the excess glue, it can be removed with the aid of a toothpick.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »
In case you are under the illusion that all Japanese locomotives are perfect out of the box, observe this fine-looking Tomix EF66:

Tomix EF66 11 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It was one of my earlier N gauge purchases and I have never been quite happy with it, as it has never run as well as my other Tomix locos. A little bit noisy, a little bit sluggish but poor at slow running, a little bit prone to slight stalls, but nothing obviously broken, yet something not quite right. I even tried taking it back to the shop, but it ran well enough on their short test set and I was sent away with the advice to clean my track...

Anyway, four so years later I've finally got round to examining the bogies and determined one was running not quite freely and made a sound which put me in mind of the dreaded split gear. Except no split was apparent (and would have been very surprising).

What I did find was this:

Tomix EF66 bogie tower "flash" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

A teensy bit of flash protruding into one of the slits on the bogie tower, which was catching ever so slightly on the large gear which occupies the space inside those slits, particularly in one direction. After removing that with a scalpel, it now runs satisfactorily. 

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
And what was Dr. Watson doing while you were solving this case?

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2019, 10:24:17 AM »
This thread is a crack up.  ;D

Question is, has the fix on Squidlet's loco worked? Is the battery secure?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »
And what was Dr. Watson doing while you were solving this case?

Distracting the Squidlet.

This thread is a crack up.  ;D

Question is, has the fix on Squidlet's loco worked? Is the battery secure?

It worked, though I have since realised that I have been suffering child-induced brain fade and the train is probably intended for a somewhat larger battery size, unlike all the other trains which take the smaller batteries.  :dunce:

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
An E231-500 series by Kato, as currently running on Tokyo's iconic and strategically important Yamanote loop line. These are positively ancient in Japanese terms, some dating from as early as 2002, so they are being progressively cascaded down to lesser lines and replaced by the shiny new E235 series.

Kato E231-500 (Yamanote Line) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Anyway I though I'd better get round to adding the various bits to it, particularly the end destination indicators, which need to be carefully cut out from the sheet of transfers:

kato-e231-500-yamanote-line_10-890_04 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

and applied to the inside of the cab, the front of which just pops off:

kato-e231-500-yamanote-line_10-890_05 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Looks much better.

Kato E231-500 (Yamanote Line) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Observant observers will also have noticed the addition of two stick-uppy-bits on the cab roof, which are (from left to right) the train radio aerial, and the emergency smoke signal

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2019, 12:37:18 PM »
Nice looking unit.

the emergency smoke signal

??? :confused2: