!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix Class 42 'Zebra'  (Read 6488 times)

Offline AJB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18736
  • I may be old but I'm still learning!
    • Awards
Re: Minitrix Class 42 'Zebra'
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »
I have been unsuccessful in posting the images I have of this loco due to technical inexpertise but I could send e-mail direct with photos attached if anyone could post them for me. Thanks,
Alan

Offline AJB

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »
Additionally: The loco is boxed in a long plastic box with a yellow foam protection insert. As I previously said -- it may not be the correct box.
I thank you all for your interest and comments as I would like to get to the bottm of this conundrum!
Alan

Offline AJB

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
Hi All, again,
I contacted Bob G by e-mail and he has confirmed that the 'Zebra' is an original Minitrix loco after studying the attached pics. So, now, there is one happy Minitrix devotee in sunny Cornwall (at present at least!).
Thanks to all who responded to my post,
Again, a brilliant forum.
Alan

Offline Jfheath

• Maintaining Classic Minitrix
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »
That's good news.  So do we have a model number for it and an approximate date ?

Offline AJB

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 07:59:26 PM »
Hi jfheath,

I paste, below, an extract from Bob's e-mail which he kindly permitted me to show and I offer as an update:

Thanks for sending me your photos. They all came through in the end.
That is definitely an original Zebra.  The transfers are just like the ones that are applied to mine (in fact yours is in slightly better condition than mine). The metal skirt may have been repainted, but that's common.  The bodies often appear to have a different colour to the chassis as the colours seem to fade differently on the metal over time, compared to the plastic.

The box is also typical of the early 1970s period. The lid should be a clip on type, which I can see it is.

Zebra only had a short production run in 1970, and so its product number should be 2035 or 2904 (green), 2034 or 2905 (blue) or 2906 (maroon). There was probably only one batch produced of each name. Which is why Zebras and the other early models (Benbow, Druid, Eclipse) command higher prices than the Mark 3 chassis versions of Hermes and Intrepid, of which more than one batch was produced (the first batch of Intrepid around 1979 should have been called Insipid, as they were of a ghastly eau-de-nil tint of pale green - same as some Britannias and Evening Stars of the period).

The card insert in the box indicates the box is from a slightly later period (probably ten years later around 1980 onwards) and indicates this was a Minitrix model produced for the European/global market rather than a Hornby Minitrix model for the UK market, although the German product code is indeed for a BR Mk 1 Corridor Composite in Chocolate and Cream. This happens a lot with second-hand models in N gauge being put in the wrong boxes buy owners. It's easy to do when a coach and a loco come in the same packaging. Both models seemed to have been sold alongside each other - Hornby ones branded in Red themed boxes, Minitrix ones branded in green.

Offline AJB

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 08:03:40 PM »
So there you have it.
Thanks to all for the interest.
Alan

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 08:51:35 PM »
Again a response to an old thread  I bought second hand Maroon warship, D838 Rapid back in circa 1978, it doesn't look like a repaint although someone had added some black "bits" here and there thoughts anyone?

Cheers Andy

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »
Hi there

Rapid is very rare and if in mint condition would command 100 plus.
I suspect yours is more of a pre-loved condition.
Would be great to see some close up photos to determine if it really is a genuine Minitrix version or a repaint. You can tell by the type of transfer used on these early Minitrix warships.

Best regards
Bob

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations