!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Coniston Railway  (Read 17307 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: The Coniston Railway
« Reply #660 on: June 26, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Photographically it's far from perfect but it'll serve the primary purpose - preventing punters seeing trains passing around behind the operators' pint pots coffee mugs  :D

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #661 on: June 26, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
Looks good and works well.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #662 on: June 27, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »

Next task? Put Woodland away and lug Coniston downstairs to set it up with Torver so I can make that link's frontscene  ;)

I miss-read that as 'sell it'

I was simultaneously having a heart attack while scrabbling to check my bank balance!

Thanks, guys.

Photographically it's far from perfect but it'll serve the primary purpose - preventing punters seeing trains passing around behind the operators' pint pots coffee mugs  :D

Bluebird ale from Coniston Brewing Co (located behind the Black Bull pub, Coniston) is a fine ale to be running model railways with...   :beers:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:37:15 PM by Black Sheep »

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #663 on: June 27, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »

Next task? Put Woodland away and lug Coniston downstairs to set it up with Torver so I can make that link's frontscene  ;)

I miss-read that as 'sell it'

I was simultaneously having a heart attack while scrabbling to check my bank balance!

PSML, you can live in hope I suppose  ;)

Thanks, guys.

Bluebird ale from Coniston Brewing Co (located behind the Black Bull pub, Coniston) is a fine ale to be running model railways with...   :beers:

Coniston? I think I've heard of that place   :D

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #664 on: June 27, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
Have you logged coniston to make the link board onto torver chris ,?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:54:26 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #665 on: June 27, 2020, 06:41:38 PM »
Have you logged coniston to make the link board onto forever chris ,?

I've joined Coniston and Torver so I can make the scenic link, if that's what you mean.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #666 on: June 27, 2020, 06:53:52 PM »
I meant torver sorry , predictive censored text ugh ....  plenty of interest still here

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #667 on: June 28, 2020, 10:27:52 AM »
And here's the scenic link between Coniston and Torver.

Looking straight on;

Looking from in front of Torver;

and looking from in front of Coniston;

It's not as neat a fit as the Torver-Woodland one is, because the positions of the two backscenes are very much out of line - mainly because when I built Coniston I hadn't anticipated building the rest so the scenic area, and track, curve a long way back with the intention of using the bridge as the scenic break. Also, I've opted to have the fronts of all the layouts in line (roughly) rather than the backscenes.
This left me two choices for the link scene, either to do it as I have and "close off" Coniston with the link then running straight across to Torver, or to have the link run diagonally straight between the backscenes' ends. The latter, however, would have meant a very acute angle where it met Torver's backscene which I felt would look worse.

The links between Broughton & Five Arches and Five Arches & Woodland run diagonally, one of them at about 45 degrees, between the pairs, in part because I chose to wrap the backscene for Five Arches right along the sides to the front. As with this one, although not perfect they don't look too bad and do serve the purpose.
However, you'll have to take my word for that since, after waving a tape measure around, I found that I just don't have room to set them up and still have sufficient space to get the camera far enough back. Hopefully when we can do the Club's Open Day I'll have the chance to get some pics of the entire thing - lighting permitting.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #668 on: June 28, 2020, 10:43:25 AM »
Looking good chris. The lugging around I bet was fun

Offline Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #669 on: June 28, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »
Chris

Just a thought, which is probably against your ethos for your project.

Have you considered constructing fill in scenic boards for exhibition purposes to the front of your backscene extensions, from a viewing public point of view it would bring the whole thing visually together. I appreciate that it is not factually correct and the distances are greater, but I believe it would look good.

Now back in the air raid shelter with hard hat on in safety, waiting for the abuse

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #670 on: June 28, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
Looking good chris. The lugging around I bet was fun

<sarcasm mode on> Oh yes. <sarcasm mode off>
 :D

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #671 on: June 28, 2020, 11:29:24 AM »
Have you considered constructing fill in scenic boards for exhibition purposes to the front of your backscene extensions, from a viewing public point of view it would bring the whole thing visually together. I appreciate that it is not factually correct and the distances are greater, but I believe it would look good.

I considered it, but rejected it from a practicality point of view. More scenic boards would mean more that need to have casings made to protect them in transit, which adds more bulk to be squeezed in - I'm up to three car loads, at a guess, already - definitely more than two, anyway. It would also mean yet more things to be assembled, I've already got 13 baseboards and 4 link boards plus all the other paraphernalia.

I think I prefer to have it looking like separate layouts that can be combined anyway, which they are. Also, the idea is that it's totally modular so I could only take some parts, maybe only Coniston and one other station, somewhere if space is limited - although that would still be at least two car loads since Coniston is one load on its own. I could, even, just take one station out of Broughton, Woodland or Torver and the fiddle yard.
When/if I make another fiddle yard then I could leave Coniston out and run two or all three of the others without the viaduct - which might only come to one car load if I'm very lucky. However, that then would mean making scenic link boards to cover all possible permutations, and transport casings for them, which then takes up yet more space and would take it back to more than once car load.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:12:31 PM by chrism »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal