!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated  (Read 23353 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2016, 06:24:39 AM »

The UK HSE executive would have a heart attack with those long vertical ladders though.... there should be a landing stage every 3-4m .... although it is a Shell facility... so I would be quite happy to see the opposition in hot water :)

The plastic ladders on the Walthers refinery kit as it comes have no safety cages around them and their rungs scale to almost 6" thick so how about these as a safety issue? I'm replacing these with caged industrial ladders by Gold Medal Models (brass) that have a scaled rung thickness of 1.5" - a bit bigger than ideal, but much easier to climb I expect.

Webbo

he he, very true - I just went with the ladders supplied (so far) when I put mine together... I did get some ladders & cages from shapeways... will replace them once we get our first visit from the executive :) 

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2016, 03:58:53 PM »
... the space I have is too small to provide any kind of even miniscule justice to a real refinery.

... the main components that I would include in the refinery complex are:
1) Walthers North Island refinery kit that some of you already know I'm sure (2/3 built)
2) 2x Walthers oil storage tanks (built)
3) Traincat tankcar loading platform (built)
4) Walthers oil distribution depot (not even started)
5) 3x Plastruct oil tanks (not even started, but should be a piece of cake)
:
Or option C is to dispense with the refinery and turn it into an oil distribution depot
:

I'd go with your Option C. A distribution depot can be any size; the terminal facilities (2 bogie tank-car lengths) are modest enough to be believable almost anywhere.

Here's an interesting article about compression/cropping for realism - basically reminds us less is more (plausible).

http://lancemindheim.com/2015/12/scene-composition-2/

Mike

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »
Mike

I've seen this website before, but thank you for reminding me of it. It really does cut to the heart of my dilemma. For realism, less is more I know. But, the pipes and structures of a refinery really do look good. However it certainly doesn't follow that I should include scenic elements just because I spent a lot of time constructing them. So, I'm going to let the whole issue digest and do some other things on my layout for a while.

Having said this, I quite enjoy looking at other layouts that are severely congested in some cases resembling a nest of writhing snakes when the trains are running, but that is not the impression I want to convey with my layout. One of the wonderful things about this hobby of ours is that there are many interpretations of what is most desirable in a layout.

Webbo

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »
I love some of the stuff on that guy's website and there is great advice there.  To me,  it's a little bit like gardening shows - if you get to do a lot of gardens, or rail layouts, you can afford to aim for the very 'best'/realistic gardens/scenes as you will then move on to do another type as well, and not miss out on any aspect.

For most of us, we have to try and fit 'everything' into one space and as Lance Mindheim reminds us, deciding what 'everything' is, is key to arriving at the most realistic scenes.  Pure realism is different again to arriving at your own 'best' scene of course!

Happy thinking. :)

Donald

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2016, 09:54:31 AM »
Less is better, but Webbo has some wonderful country scenery on his layout, and an industrial scene will be a nice balance.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:04:43 PM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2016, 02:26:49 AM »
For most of us, we have to try and fit 'everything' into one space and as Lance Mindheim reminds us, deciding what 'everything' is, is key to arriving at the most realistic scenes.  Pure realism is different again to arriving at your own 'best' scene of course!

I think almost all of us who don't have a basement to house a layout will inevitably be subject to horizontal compression of real scenes. Think curves that are much tighter than real curves, shorter trains than real trains, rapid transitions between towns and the countryside, It's up to our imaginations to uncompress the model into something that looks sort of real to us. But as Donald suggests, pure realism is not necessarily the objective anyway.

As Donald notes, there is other interesting stuff on Lance Mindheim's website too.

Webbo

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »
Hi Webbo,

for what it's worth my vote is to keep the refinery stuff that you have. Maybe some mind-games with the back-scene to make it look bigger than it really is. I do agree with the idea of working on another part of the layout whilst you have a good think. I'm doing much more of the latter now than I am semi-retired. Modern life is just too much (fast) pace... ;D

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2016, 08:47:58 AM »
Merry Christmas to those who are reading this post and to those who are not.

It's Christmas Eve here in Oz so I thought I'd get a quick post in before Santa comes down the gas exhaust flue tomorrow morning. I've taken a rest from my refinery dilemma and am doing some other things including painting my fascia boards. I'd always thought a medium grey for these, but as soon as I'd painted half of them I knew I could do better. Second try was a lighter shade of grey and finally I have settled on a shade that was even lighter and seemed to match the scenery best..

Take home message - the colour of the fascia board will impact on the appearance of your layout and deserves careful thought.

By this time tomorrow Xmas will be all over for us here in Oz, but will be just getting underway in Europe and still being dreamed about in North America. No matter what time zone you're I wish you all have a great day.

The prospect of snow for us is not looking good for us tomorrow as we have a 31 degree forecast - Celsius that is.

Webbo

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »
 :greatpicturessign:

A good choice to go lighter - it is but a tone away from the main rock colour behind so add to size of scene rather than a seismic split to another world.

Festive gleetings as well, hope temp suits you fine, its wet and windy here in Brum and about 8 degress - which is cold an any money !

Robert 

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2016, 12:31:57 AM »
Merry Christmas, Webbo!!

Thank you for the Peco points information.

The fascia colour is quite attractive. It looks like a part of the scenery.
Very natural looking!!
Your sense of colors always impress me, Webbo.
Have a wonderful Christmas!!

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »
Merry Christmas Webbo.  Darn too late.  Ok, well Happy New Year.  Oops missed that one as well!

:worried:

I have to admit that fascias are a bit of an enigma to me.  I like your lightest shade on yours.  My fascia is actually the edge of the board, with the DCC power bus hotglued to it, for ease of use.  Over this, I have put drapes, or in my case an Indiana flag, an Ohio flag and a Stars and Stripes.  If I get bored of these, I also have a piece of red material with little Stars and Stripes all over it.

To me, finishing the edges of a layout is as important as what's on the layout itself.  It should not detract from the layout but should be smart and maybe even hide some unruly elements; in my case, the power bus.

Happy Easter.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2017, 11:30:36 PM »
Happy Easter to you too, Andy
and a belated Happy New Year.

It's not far away - after all our local super market has just begun selling Easter buns!

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2017, 12:26:59 AM »
Thumbs up from Bealman on the fascia colour.   :thumbsup:

Sets the layout off nicely.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline tinyone

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25047
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2017, 09:19:24 AM »

It's not far away - after all our local super market has just begun selling Easter buns!

Webbo
And I've just seen an ad on tv for Christmas 2017!!!!!!!! no wonder time goes so fast, and the fascia's a great colour but also putting up the US flags hmmmmm there's an idea
 belated new year wishes to all
Steve
Little is big and I'm little

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2017, 09:45:25 PM »

Webbo

Happy Easter Webb, we eat hot cross buns all year round  :D

Good to hear that you are resting from the refinery dilemma. Do like the lighter fascia colour.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £250.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £175.00
Below Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything