New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated  (Read 21596 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2016, 09:41:27 AM »
hello folks

Dats and Texhorse have both asked me for updates, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you a question instead. I know that I haven't had any problems dishing out my opinion to others on this forum, but I'm facing an existential crisis of my own at the moment and I'm looking for guidance from all of you this time.

Over the last 3 months, I have been spending my time on building structures for the refinery that I planned to install in the northeast corner of my layout. Over the last few weeks I have been beginning to doubt whether this is a good idea considering the circumstances. Basically, there are two problems 1) there are no refineries in the region that my layout is loosely based upon and 2) the space I have is too small to provide any kind of even miniscule justice to a real refinery. I can't even say that the refinery bit I've got is just the front section of a bigger refinery as my my mainlines run past either side of it.

The space I have and the main components that I would include in the refinery complex are:
1) Walthers North Island refinery kit that some of you already know I'm sure (2/3 built)
2) 2x Walthers oil storage tanks (built)
3) Traincat tankcar loading platform (built)
4) Walthers oil distribution depot (not even started)
5) 3x Plastruct oil tanks (not even started, but should be a piece of cake)

The following photos show the space I have with the first 3 items in place and the foundation of 4. Note the refinery kit is not yet complete as I'm replacing its ladders and railings with finer detailed brass etchings. The refinery and all the other stuff going with it is going to look pretty good, but that does not justify its presence.

Basically, I would like you guys and gals to tell me that I should cut this enterprise short despite the large amount of time I've already spent on it. In its place I'm thinking scrapyard/junkyard as these are much less pretentious than a refinery and would better fit the space. Typically they are located at the edge of Canadian towns so the location is right, and I think they can be made to look pretty cool with the myriad of stuff one can put in them. Or option C is to dispense with the refinery and turn it into an oil distribution depot or option D I can turn the space into a small grove of trees.

At the moment, I'm taking a break from model building and am properly installing my very modest CD player and speakers. Up to now, they have just been sitting on my upper level track. Next task is fitting my controllers for my upper level tracks (N, HO, and G gauges) and then I will putting in the screen separating my town area from my fiddle yard. At the moment, I'm quite enjoying playing with equipment that makes a lot of noise and is capable of removing a finger in a lightning flash with no pain.

Andy and Dats, I apologise for not providing any videos with this post let alone videos of the super standards of you guys. But, watch this space - a video or two is coming. But, it'll be something a bit different from what has preceded it.

Webbo

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
 :hellosign: IMO the refinery looks too good to lose
    regards Derek.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
Not sure my opinion is worth much as, here in Blighty, we are used to shoehorning stuff into tight spaces. I think it would be a shame if your hard work went to waste but really only those who know the space available in North America can make a case for its removal. Again, in the UK, we have scrapyards crammed into small spaces. One of the best I've seen is on an N gauge layout 'Barton Road' should you need some ideas...........

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.

NPN, that is a nice scrapyard in the clip you've provided. Space may very well be more of a premium in UK towns than in Canadian towns, but that does not mean that models of the former need to look crammed. The scrapyard shown in the video is a case in point. It is not very big, but on the other hand it has about the right degree of spreading out to invoke an image in my mind of the real thing. With my refinery, I'm not so concerned about it being much smaller in area than your typical refinery, but rather that I'll wind up with the crammed look.

Webbo

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2016, 03:29:59 AM »
Hi Webbo.

Thank you for the update.
I would say you should keep the refinery. You did such a great job on it. If you can't move it to somewhere else you should keep it there. The ladder and a shell decal are perfect looking!!! I'm jealous!
You don't need to glue them until you're satisfied. That way you can change it later if you want.
I don't know a balance of the entire layout but I don't think it will be crammed look.
That's my opinion.
Man! What a great modelling. A scale size parts make a huge difference!!  More pictures please!!

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline tinyone

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25047
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2016, 08:28:23 AM »
Hi Webbo,
Had to study the pictures a few times but as has been said elsewhere I think the refinery should stay as you have made a great job of it so far and if you have all the rolling stock (tankers) then keep it but I'm also thinking of some change to my layout so maybe its a time of year thing

Best wishes
Steve
Little is big and I'm little

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2016, 09:17:05 AM »
Hi Webbo,

I used to to live in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and we have a refinery there that was rail-served.  I know where you are coming from in that you wont have enough space but the thing is, I doubt anyone would have the space so selective compression is inevitable.  Ours was small as refineries  go and it still took up a huge amount of space.

Personally I like the scrapyard idea, again I have a real life example to draw on, I worked in Truro, NS, and opposite the station there was a scrap dealer that did a few carload,
It doesn't take up much room and would look very appropriate.  This one was in the middle of town, but there's no reason why it couldn't be on the edge too

I have some pics from google earth I'll try and upload if you are interested, or here's the link to the overhead

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Truro,+NS,+Canada/@45.362587,-63.2721246,420m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4b594fcf093b81a7:0x3896ccf871a7b76e!8m2!3d45.3657733!4d-63.2869407

Cheers

G

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2016, 07:25:20 AM »
That is a fine looking scrapyard, Graham.

I've become a connoisseur of scrapyards in the last few weeks. Opinion seems to be running slightly in favour of me keeping the refinery. I very much appreciate everyone's comments on my dilemma and I'm taking all suggestions on board. To be honest, a final decision has not been made and I've decided to put it off until I have a plan for the 'town' area of my layout. For the latter, I'm thinking of a station depot which is basically a waiting room beside the track (much more modest than the typical UK station) and on the other side I'm planning a grain silo serviced by a siding (or maybe two). In between, there will be a couple of fast food joints, a gas (petrol) station, and a motel. Depending on how room pans out, I may be able to fit a transport depot served by a siding, but we'll see.

Steve, you've been a bit quiet lately. How's progress on your layout?

Webbo

Offline tinyone

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25047
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2016, 08:13:29 AM »

Steve, you've been a bit quiet lately. How's progress on your layout?

Webbo

Hi Webbo,
We are having lots of work done on the real house and decided to redecorate get rid of lots of stuff etc so virtually nothings been done on the layout for about 2 months but I have been busy buying stuff I'll chuck some piccies up soon but I got me 2 diesels 1 Rock Island GP18 and a G.Northern Orange Green one with 3 coaches I also won an auction in the states for 18 wagons then sold 7 that I didn't need and I won an auction in Canada on Sunday for lots of bits and pieces buildings track etc and finally yesterday got me some more Just Plug stuff and I'm hoping to be back on the layout possibly today or tomorrow and quite honestly I can't wait as I'm fed up decorating but its mostly done now

Best wishes
Steve
Little is big and I'm little

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2016, 10:53:10 AM »
That is a fine looking scrapyard, Graham.

I've become a connoisseur of scrapyards in the last few weeks. Opinion seems to be running slightly in favour of me keeping the refinery. I very much appreciate everyone's comments on my dilemma and I'm taking all suggestions on board. To be honest, a final decision has not been made and I've decided to put it off until I have a plan for the 'town' area of my layout. For the latter, I'm thinking of a station depot which is basically a waiting room beside the track (much more modest than the typical UK station) and on the other side I'm planning a grain silo serviced by a siding (or maybe two). In between, there will be a couple of fast food joints, a gas (petrol) station, and a motel. Depending on how room pans out, I may be able to fit a transport depot served by a siding, but we'll see.

Thanks, thought that would be a good one to model as its modest, out in the open and eminently modelable (new word!)

A lot of depots in Canada hark back to busier days so can be quite fancy looking but still occupy a small area.  The one in Truro frankly is ugly as its the back of a stripmall.  Its made a lot more interesting by a mosaic thats been painted along it by one of my former employees.  Anyhow, I'm off topic.  Are you planning on a modern depot or a left-over interesting one?  is it going to be Via rail or CN / CPR ?  sorry if I'm asking stupid questions I'm just modelling vicariously through you until we've moved back and I can start again!

Just re-read the thread and you answered my questions, I need to keep up.  Also it looks like Salmon Arm is top of the list for our move locations right now so smack back where your modelling pretty much (a bit further east maybe)!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:57:37 AM by grumbeast, Reason: added stuff »

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2016, 07:21:47 PM »
Webbo

I understand your concern about things that don't quite fit in, but I would support the view that says well, I made it and I have it, so its in!  It doesn't have to stay forever, and its your product, so why not enjoy it until something else comes to mind?

Maybe its a little like this slightly unexpected picture from Railpictures.net:

and anyway, with all this fracking chat at the minute, who's to say what madness was tried in days gone by?

PS - whats with being over here on the forum?  I only found this by accident!

:)

Donald

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2016, 10:38:50 PM »
Graham, my modelling is based VERY loosely on the region to the west of Salmon Arm. somewhere around Kamloops perhaps. My sister in Salmon Arm tells me she is getting a real winter so far - something to do with the Polar Vortex breaking out southwards across North America.

Donald, that picture you posted shows railspotter's dream houses. Imagine sitting there on the back deck with a mint julep in hand and having GP38-2s rolling by within 30'.

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »
I would fall in with the "keep the refinery" group.... would be a shame to lose such a good piece of work - I like your loading platform too, I haven't seen that one before I don't think.  Having spent many years in the Grangemouth refinery, these older UK refineries used to grow in stages and absorbed the surroundings (for instance a significant public road passes thorough the middle of the petrochemical plant there and there are private houses within half a mile of major processing units) .... is it an option to have a pipe bridge over the track at the back.... suggesting that the unit you have modelled is an outlying unit but part of a greater refinery?

The UK HSE executive would have a heart attack with those long vertical ladders though.... there should be a landing stage every 3-4m .... although it is a Shell facility... so I would be quite happy to see the opposition in hot water :)

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2016, 03:43:09 AM »

The UK HSE executive would have a heart attack with those long vertical ladders though.... there should be a landing stage every 3-4m .... although it is a Shell facility... so I would be quite happy to see the opposition in hot water :)

The plastic ladders on the Walthers refinery kit as it comes have no safety cages around them and their rungs scale to almost 6" thick so how about these as a safety issue? I'm replacing these with caged industrial ladders by Gold Medal Models (brass) that have a scaled rung thickness of 1.5" - a bit bigger than ideal, but much easier to climb I expect.

Webbo 

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2016, 05:24:02 AM »
Far and away too good a model not to use. Put it in there mate!

As for a grove of trees, forget it. If you were going to change it, make a brewery  ;) :beers:

Stick with your first decision, Ian. Far too good a model not to use.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here