!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Shed layout - Japanese Phase - Hachirōyama  (Read 33706 times)

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
Re: Shed layout - Japanese Phase - Hachirōyama
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2020, 08:10:34 AM »
I agree the paddy terraces look too blue but the greener you go with the water the less the plants themselves will show up. Maybe some overscale static grass might be better for the plants :hmmm:

Rice paddies tend to be:
- dry mud in autumn/winter - https://goo.gl/maps/xq52aFDM74vQU28d6
- muddy when the seedlings are being planted
- full of green-brown water during spring/early summer - https://goo.gl/maps/RTgSgRHx8kBm52ua7
- full of luscious bright green rice stalks in later summer - https://goo.gl/maps/eicKRpZjBinR1Nna9
- yellowing stubble in late summer/early autumn https://goo.gl/maps/3rckfvbDP7i5KHYi7

Can't find anywhere the Google car's been during planting season. I once accidentally created the effect of a murky green early season rice field with some cellophane:

World Kogei EF57-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Never seen rice paddies with their own water tank, though I don't live in rice country so not so intimately familiar with the process (all cabbages and broccoli around here).

Thanks for all of that @railsquid I bought the sheet from Hobby Search so assumed it would be right  ::) and the reason for the water tank was because they were planted in manufactured terraces rather than open fields where there is built in irrigation. The idea was to give the feeling of a small hill farm where they were self sustainable.
It would appear to have been a bit of a failed experiment and I may replace the paddies with a different crop in the future. @Newportnobby idea of using static grass might work by turning them into wheat or grain terraces?
Then again, perhaps trying to build a Japanese layout with such minimal knowledge was always doomed to fail  ???

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2020, 08:18:56 AM »
Thanks for all of that @railsquid I bought the sheet from Hobby Search so assumed it would be right  ::)

Eeek, that must have been the "water source poisoned with heavy metals" version ;)

You could use small steep terraces like that for a variety of vegetable crops, which is the kind of thing you see quite often up in the hills. I'll see if I can dig up some examples.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »
@Lawrence @railsquid
My thoughts about overscale (by which I meant length wise) static grass were based on the images found here..........

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=images+of+a+paddy+field&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2020, 03:30:56 PM »
It's not all buiding stuff, sometimes I run trains too

These are the LEDs installed @Bealman

and the two halfs of the building side by side

I found the white very bright with the supplied resistors (I run my LEDs off a 12v bus with various resistors) so I put two 1k resistors in series, then ran both feeds in parallel from them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:47:15 PM by Lawrence »

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2020, 10:47:22 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
  A superb video Lawrence, all looking superb & the lighting really adds ambience to the scene    :thumbsup:
      stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2020, 06:24:41 AM »
That all looks fantastic! Video reminds me of my Japanese Adventure two years ago!

The speeds are quite prototypical for through trains, though squiddy can probably verify this or shoot me down.

Love the music - it really does make the video - it looks like Japan!  :thumbsup:

Glad you dimmed down the LEDs on the flats. They were very bright.

Thumbs up from me!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »
@cornish yorkie  Thank you Derek, appreciate your kind words
@Bealman  I think I might stick another 1k resistor in the supply line for the apartment block too George, just to reduce the brightness of them as well. Appreciate your comments also

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal