!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Pitlochry - Killiecrankie - Dalwhinnie(maybe)  (Read 94 times)

Offline Johndra

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Pitlochry - Killiecrankie - Dalwhinnie(maybe)
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »
I am making progress with my layout and have reined in my enthusiasm (Lawrence you'll be glad to know). I now have a 6' x 6' board in a doughnut shape (with a removable section to allow access) covered in 12mm plywood.

Two questions:

1.  Should I seal the plywood?

2.  If so does it matter what paint I use? I have a 2.5L tin of Cuprinol shed paint in Sage Green.

Cheers   :confused2:

John

Returning to modelling.

Offline The Q

• Awards
Re: Pitlochry - Killiecrankie - Dalwhinnie(maybe)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »
if it's indoors in a warm heated room as it appears to be, it doesn't need sealing.
However if there is any chance it might get put in a shed /  garage then please seal it. as for the paint any paint will do, but make sure that Cuprinol is paint, not a wax based wood protector, if it is nothing will stick to your base board..

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »
Hi John, good to see you making a start  :thumbsup:  personally I'd give it a couple of coats of clear matt or satin varnish just to protect it all. If you use a water based one (Wickes have them) it will still take a paint coat if you want to put a particular base colour down anywhere.

Offline Johndra

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
if it's indoors in a warm heated room as it appears to be, it doesn't need sealing.
However if there is any chance it might get put in a shed /  garage then please seal it. as for the paint any paint will do, but make sure that Cuprinol is paint, not a wax based wood protector, if it is nothing will stick to your base board..

It's in my office/workshop that I am converting to a 'man cave' and there are no plans to be relegated to the outside world. The computer repair business is slowing down and I thought it about time that I had some 'me' time and projects.

Cheers

John
Returning to modelling.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here