!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: mk1 emu  (Read 3797 times)

Offline darren.c

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23048
    • Awards
mk1 emu
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »
hi everyone
i have been pondering on a idea that i wanted to share .
ive been reading these thread on what to do produce and one thing i have thought was a mk1 based emus
 we all moan that there is not enough emu models about so this is my thought

1  we need is a chassis for our emus, made so can be used on different multiple units
2  i would be very happy with plan body shell and ends of the coaches could be modular
3 adam does wonderful sides and with a mk1 shell alot more could be possible

whats people thoughts
daz

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
Re: mk1 emu
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:43:38 PM »
A couple of us were wondering if a base structure with both a motorised and dummy chassis for etched sides or transfers may be a suitable project. The feedback was this was not the direction that Revolution Trains were considering; however that is not to say this is out of the question in terms of crowd-funding in general...a generic mark 1 type body shell with motor, I think, may well have some support - especially as sourcing suitable Farish mark 1s is getting tricky.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »
I would certainly be after the Mk1's myself, especially CIG's and EPB's.  I wonder if money could be saved with a suitable order from Bachmann (4CEP chassis) and then we would just need investment for the bodies?

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:54 AM »
The challenge would be getting Farish to sell their CEP chassis separately. They have consistently refused to sell parts as they are "not a bits provider". Just to give you an example, when the NGS commissioned them to develop the QM Brake Van, they tried to order some extra bogies at the same time. Farish refused, even though the NGS had comissioned the brake van itself and were offering to order a thousand or so. :(

Bizarrely, Bachmann will provide some parts in 00 gauge.  :headbutt:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »
I would go for some sort of EPB kit as well.  Especially if the kit included the motorised chassis.  As you point out, sourcing the components is becoming more trickey. 

For the 465 Networker I ended up with:-

3D printed cab ends - sourced through the forum (Bob Davies).
4 MkII - Sourced through the Nporium.
GF Class 150 - Sourced through the Nporium.
Vinyls - Sourced through Electagraphics

Tbh taking a scalpel to a fully functioning class 150 made me extremely nervous too...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 09:29:37 AM »
Bachman made it very clear at the outset when they bought Farish that "bits" would no longer be provided.

I don't know the commercial ins and outs but it was a sad day for the hobby. However I think this is the situation with most manufacturers these days.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »
The challenge would be getting Farish to sell their CEP chassis separately. They have consistently refused to sell parts as they are "not a bits provider". Just to give you an example, when the NGS commissioned them to develop the QM Brake Van, they tried to order some extra bogies at the same time. Farish refused, even though the NGS had comissioned the brake van itself and were offering to order a thousand or so. :(

Bizarrely, Bachmann will provide some parts in 00 gauge.  :headbutt:

That's madness.  And to think in the Poole days you could get ANYTHING as a spare part. :no:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »
Tbh taking a scalpel to a fully functioning class 150 made me extremely nervous too...

I can relate to that.  Once you've cut up nine of them then you stop worrying! :smiley-laughing:

Online woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
Bachman made it very clear at the outset when they bought Farish that "bits" would no longer be provided.

I don't know the commercial ins and outs but it was a sad day for the hobby. However I think this is the situation with most manufacturers these days.

Even getting bits for current models is a challenge. I have damaged a bogie frame on a Dapol Class 86, and after contact with DCC Supplies on 20 January and 2 February I am still no nearer to getting a replacement.

Goodness knows how they cope with warranty repairs.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
I think there is a danger of re-inventing the wheel here slightly - much of what is wanted already exists.

Chassis - Farish 150 motor bogie for some. Farish 158 chassis with the moveable bogie centres for others etc. I know they are not the cheapest solution but you can often find them S/H.

Clear body shells and moulded ends - clear sides available from BHE. Moulded ends from BHE or TPM for Mk1 based units or 3D prints for some more modern units.  The other source for clear bodies is stripped Farish Mk1/2/3 all of which are normally available reasonably cheaply particularly as they get superceded.

On the spares front - I'm afraid that is a casualty of batch production (and Farish's at times rather self-defeating policy!). I can understand not wanting (or being able) to hold relatively low levels of stock of spares for a very limited market, I find it harder to explain Farish's unwillingness to supply significant numbers of parts if ordered at the same time as a production run (unless their tooling is so inflexible that for example running bogies off would produce lots of unwanted parts).

Cheers, Mike

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »
If Farish don't sell parts... what's the point of the diagram supplied with each new loco listing all the parts (with their part numbers) that make up that particular model?!

Just for interest's sake???

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
Does anyone remember Debbie from the Farish spares dept you could ring her and just describe the bit you wanted in plain English and she would tell you almost instantly the part number and how much it would cost ,she realy new Farish Locos inside out . You don't get service like that very often nowadays.
Bob

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
She sent me a birthday card back in the mid 90's. :) :beers:

Offline sawyerm1982

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »

Even getting bits for current models is a challenge. I have damaged a bogie frame on a Dapol Class 86, and after contact with DCC Supplies on 20 January and 2 February I am still no nearer to getting a replacement.

Goodness knows how they cope with warranty repairs.

I can sympathise with you, my Farish Class 150 has no teeth on the first gear after the worm, and as yet I am unable to source a replacement gear for it... currently hauled around by another 150 :(

I think that some clear bodies to go with adams graphics is a great idea as I need many!!

Mike

Offline darren.c

• N Gauge Society Number: 23048
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »
i don't think it is re inventing the wheel at all as everyone say farish spare hard to get hold of why buy a class 150dmu at say round 60-100 pounds only to throw the bodies away bhe & tpm  are hard to source
i think adams graphics are fab and would use them on all the units old farish mk1 are ok as models but underfames roofs and ends are not the best my idea came from southern prides emus7 mk1s with the added extra of having a cheap chassis 

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal